1st record you ever bought?

Mine was 'we love you' by the stones, still got it somewhere. Surrealistic at the time..
(think it was from Setchfields in Winton??)

Mine was 'we love you' by the stones, still got it somewhere. Surrealistic at the time..
(think it was from Setchfields in Winton??)
I didn't know there was a Setchfields in Winton, I bought most of my records from Setchfields on Old Christchurch Road, there you could listen to the record in a booth before buying it. Pete Redfern drummer of the local band "The Room" worked there.
He was a great source of new bands releasing their first albums.
1688946039962.png

I bought the single of 'Girl of My Best Friend' by Elvis.(Got home to find it had 'Blue Suede Shoes' on the real 'A' side!)

Amazing to think that streaming will mean many people will never buy a physical copy of any music. Consequently it will never have the importance it did for us oldies.
Indeed so. To buy - or should I say invest in - an album and play it was a ritual, it conferred a special status. Nowadays music is a virtually free commodity, like switching on a tap or a light. It's devalued.

A lot have mentioned shops they bought from! I used to go to Uptown Records at the triangle!! Got nearly all my Punk from there.
Somewhere in Winton and either Be Bop A Lula by Gene Vincent - not forgetting the Blue Caps - or Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino. 78's, of course. Could only be played on my sister's Dansette when she was in a good mood and had got bored with Dickie Valentine. I hasten to add she was a season ticket holder with a seat - and throwable cushion - in the Main stand.

Indeed so. To buy - or should I say invest in - an album and play it was a ritual, it conferred a special status. Nowadays music is a virtually free commodity, like switching on a tap or a light. It's devalued.

Absolutely. People probably less likely to give something several listens, as always something new and shiny to consume.

Good to have access to so much 'stuff', but it does have downsides imo.

Some of my favourite albums were 'growers', perhaps luke warm towards them at first, but last longer over longer term. Needed more time to get how good they actually were.

The more 'instant' gratification stuff tends to grow old quicker ime.

;