25 man squad

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Still chatter out there that we need more but we've now hit 26 players. Hill is the only one young enough not to count towards the squad size so it's 25.

I guess Dennis may drop out but don't we need a third keeper listed? Will Brooks be back before Jan? Otherwise, who is making way for anybody incoming?

--- Keepers ---
Travers
Neto
Dennis

--- Defenders ---
Smith
Stacey
Fredericks
Kelly
Mepham
Hill
Senesi
Zemura

--- Midfielders ---
Christie
Brooks
Billing
Rothwell
Tavernier
Marcondes
Anthony
Dembele
Stanislas
Cook
Pearson
Lerma

--- Forwards ---
Solanke
Moore
Lowe

When you put it in the context, it looks pretty darn good. Feel like there is still one more "surprise" in the pipeline.

You have to wonder if Jack Stacey would be an odd-man out, only because he seems deep in SP's charts. The only other guy that looks to be surplus is Marcondes, who always puts in a good shift but opportunities are rare.

A half-year loan perhaps for someone. Health will be a determinant with a few guys always a worry.

Brooks' return would add a lot to the available options.

Marcondes, Lowe and Stacey should be allowed to move on.

No point in having three right backs in the 25 man squad, especially when Anthony has proven himself to be a more than capable option there. Not sure why we’d sign Fredericks if we intended to keep Stacey, pretty clear Parker doesn’t rate him either.

Marcondes is an incredibly likeable guy but just not sure how you can possibly fit him into the counter attacking style team we are clearly aiming to be. Didn’t get a look in last year and will get even less of a look in now you’d imagine.

Lowe did a job for us in the Championship but I think it speaks volumes that despite playing 2 strikers on Saturday and not having another on the books aside from Lowe, Parker still decided not to include him even though he could name a nine man bench! Did a job for us last year but don’t think he is a PL player and seemingly not does Scott.

I think we are a CB and a CF light so would be thinking Stacey, Emi, Lowe possibly even Dembele out but a lot will depend on when they expect/hope Brooks might be available.
Anyone could pick up an injury before we need to name a 25 man squad think that’s why the market is slow, so many ‘big teams’ with bloated squads that they reduce down to 25 as they get closer to deadline day.

Fair point. Presumably he can be added in January if he's able to play by then?
Yeah, I wonder. These elite athletes have greater constitutions than most "mortals" and also have access to the top resources, both doctors and medications. Way back in the Brooks thread there are a couple of examples of hockey players with similar illness who returned to the game well before expected. Maybe that can happen for David?
Nevertheless, it would be reasonable and prudent to bring him back to fitness on the training ground for the first half of the year. If he is left off the 25 man squad initially, presumably he can be called up at any time if there is an injury and he has progressed to readiness??

Two viewpoints on Brooks. The whole squad will know he has proven PL quality so if it's thought he could make the bench this side of the window that could be a big boost just when, potentially, morale could be flagging.

If there's no chance he'll make it then leaving him out for now would be understandable.

If there are injuries John, you have to wait until the next window to replace them. The only exception is if you are out of keepers, then you can bring one in under approval. Hence why I'm unsure about Dennis.

Two viewpoints on Brooks. The whole squad will know he has proven PL quality so if it's thought he could make the bench this side of the window that could be a big boost just when, potentially, morale could be flagging.

If there's no chance he'll make it then leaving him out for now would be understandable.

If there are injuries John, you have to wait until the next window to replace them. The only exception is if you are out of keepers, then you can bring one in under approval. Hence why I'm unsure about Dennis.
Thanks @kirsikka.

In the video the club posted last week where the players talk about Fantasy Football, Brooks said he won't make the start of the season but might have to transfer himself in after three or four gameweeks - sounds like he thinks he'll be ready soon.

In the video the club posted last week where the players talk about Fantasy Football, Brooks said he won't make the start of the season but might have to transfer himself in after three or four gameweeks - sounds like he thinks he'll be ready soon.

That would be brilliant. A real lift for the whole club. Extended contract at the same time please.

I could see a more first team ready CB loaned in (e.g. Phillips or Berg) and Hill going out on loan to the Championship, until Jan at least.

Regards Brooks, only David, the club and the medics know exactly what his state of readiness is. I appreciate the club need to maximize their options and not lose a squad spot. But if there's even a small chance of Brooks making first team appearances again in next few months, it would be great to have him in the 25 to make that possible. A great boost for everyone including David himself.

Still chatter out there that we need more but we've now hit 26 players. Hill is the only one young enough not to count towards the squad size so it's 25.

I guess Dennis may drop out but don't we need a third keeper listed? Will Brooks be back before Jan? Otherwise, who is making way for anybody incoming?

--- Keepers ---
Travers
Neto
Dennis

--- Defenders ---
Smith
Stacey
Fredericks
Kelly
Mepham
Hill
Senesi
Zemura

--- Midfielders ---
Christie
Brooks
Billing
Rothwell
Tavernier
Marcondes
Anthony
Dembele
Stanislas
Cook
Pearson
Lerma

--- Forwards ---
Solanke
Moore
Lowe

I think Stacey might leave. If Fredericks is fit, he and Anthony can cover Smithy. Admittedly, I'd like a new player who could play RWB, but I just don't see Stacey getting a look in. I also have doubts as to whether Brooks will be ready.

;