28/12/08 - AFCB 0 - 2 Barnet

That match really was the pits. I told my cousin (sadly no longer with us) afterwards that I just couldn't bear to go to the next home game ..... which - if I remember correctly - was postponed, mercifully.

surely the blythe cup replay was the club's absolute nadir?
Was for me. The only time i mentally queried why I supported afcb on a depressing drive home. Got back at nearly 4am and had to be at my work desk first thing.

I missed their goal as having watched the Accrington cup penalty shoot out defeat I thought we would lose the penalties given how bad we were…so left with a couple of mins left and we didn’t even make it to the pens.

My two memories were Brett being abused when red-carded and the anguish in JT’s face as he looked at the afcb fans giving him and Quinn abuse.

We had reached rock-bottom. Quinn was a dreadful manager. Barnet just confirmed what we knew

Last edited:

I look back to all that with a certain amount of warmth.

Makes these days seem even better than they already are, as well

Last edited:
Thankfully managed to miss this game. I remember being fuming about not being able to go, even though I had been to the shambles of Brentford away game 2 days earlier, which was awful. Must have been on some very heavy drugs or something.

Looking back that team, it's not that bad! Jalal, Cooper, Pearce, Garry, Hollands, Bartley, Mosley and Connell all decent players for us. Granted Guyett was possibly one of the worst centre halves I have ever seen and why/how we ever spent good money on Tubbs is beyond me.

Man alive, Quinn was terrible. Still, it is always darkest before dawn.

I never left a game early...proper Boscombe supporters just don't do Fire Drills.. that's for the likes of Manu and Saints fans.

The worst game I’ve been to - the closest I came to stopping going … Barnetcwere as bad as we were yet somehow comfortably won 2-0 …
Utter dross all round, definitely the nadir .

The worst game I’ve been to - the closest I came to stopping going … Barnetcwere as bad as we were yet somehow comfortably won 2-0 …
Utter dross all round, definitely the nadir .
We have had various defeats against non=league opposition in the FA Cup and the Blyth replay, live on TV, was as bad as any of them. However Barnet was the nadir for me as well. Barnet were terrible, a bunch of no-hopers, we were even worse.

This brings it back! I was in the mountains on Alpe D’Huez and they had Soccer Saturday on in a Sports Bar. I honestly thought we had reached as low as we could go, little realising that Eddie was around the corner. It’s been upwards ever since! Supporters like my son don’t know they were born!!

As I walked out of that game almost in a state of disbelief ....I said to my two boys that I will never come to another game while Quinn was manager.....they replied...you've said that before......but.it was a promise I kept.... ;)

;