442 predictions

Matt Stevenson

First Team
I’ve just opened my edition of 442 and they are predicting we will finish bottom, Forest 19th and Fulham 16th. Am I just being optimistic in thinking we will finish above both Fulham and Forest? Fulham were flat track bullies who lost more games than us, whilst Forest finished 8 points behind us, were lucky in the playoffs and need to knit together new players with little premier league experience.

Hopefully this will help build a siege mentality, but it is beginning to annoy me. I’ll update this when I get When Saturday Comes which is often more knowledgeable

Obviously we could go down, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we did (and the club seems to have bought sensibly if it does happen) but I’d be surprised if we finish bottom.

I'm looking at Everton, Leicester, Southampton and Leeds battling it out down at the bottom with the three teams coming up

None of the three will go back down....it's gonna be a season of sensations...
I can see Forest in the top ten and we and the Fulumpalumpah around mid- table finish...it's no f√cking good going up with negatory aspirations is it FFS ?

All depends on the next 10 days or so... are we getting (at least) a CB and left back, and a right winger??? Would be asking for trouble to start the season with Kelly, Mepham and Hill as CBs. Let's hope for some action.

None of the three will go back down....it's gonna be a season of sensations...
I can see Forest in the top ten and we and the Fulumpalumpah around mid- table finish...it's no f√cking good going up with negatory aspirations is it FFS ?
Well whether we agree on this or not can I be the first to say, good on you Brian , a positive post . An island in a sea of negativity.

I’ve just opened my edition of 442 and they are predicting we will finish bottom, Forest 19th and Fulham 16th. Am I just being optimistic in thinking we will finish above both Fulham and Forest? Fulham were flat track bullies who lost more games than us, whilst Forest finished 8 points behind us, were lucky in the playoffs and need to knit together new players with little premier league experience.

Hopefully this will help build a siege mentality, but it is beginning to annoy me. I’ll update this when I get When Saturday Comes which is often more knowledgeable

Obviously we could go down, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we did (and the club seems to have bought sensibly if it does happen) but I’d be surprised if we finish bottom.
What were the other 441 predictions?

My main concern with us is at cb. We struggled at the back when in the prem before and our cb imo were much better then than now. We need 2 more, maybe buy 1 and a loan

I'd say it's an easy choice to just select the 3 teams that went up. Forest have done lots of business in the transfer window, Fulham have signed a couple but have let a few go. We've signed a couple one with PL experience and one without. Without being negative or overly dramatic I'd agree that we are favourites to go down. We don't know what is around the corner but we have, to date, been cautious on our transfers. However, every season throws up some surprises and there's no reason why we can't surprise a few teams and pundits next season

Last edited:
I'd say it's an easy choice to just select the 3 teams that went up. Forest have done lots of business in the transfer window, Fulham have signed a couple but have let a few go. We've signed a couple one with PL experience and one without. Without being negative or overly dramatic I'd agree that we are favourites to go down. We don't know what is around the corner but we have, to date, been cautious on our transfers. However, every season throws up some surprises and there's no reason why we can't be surprised a few teams and pundits next season

Agreed. I've no problems with us being favourites to go down, I'd imagine this is the case for all the promoted sides each year unless they have spent big and have plans in place (I'm thinking Wolves, and possibly Leeds). We be planning poorly if we didn't consider relegation a real possibility. It's the finishing bottom (thus, behind both Fulham and Forest) that is annoying me.

Completely understand pundits and writers making us one of, if not the favourites to go down based on current standings and activity. Although I'd like to think we'll get a couple of signings in before the deadline to bolster the squad's gaps.

We've spent a year building a style of play that isn't thrilling but is harder to beat, so maybe that will stand us in good stead for an underdog scrap.

There should be no pressure on Parker and the lads this season, put yourselves out there, tested against the best, and see how it goes.

Personally, I can't exactly take umbrage with anyone claiming we are currently looking likely to finish 20th. We went up as the side in the least form of the three promoted sides.

Whilst Nottingham Forest have had to rebuild their entire squad, it's unlikely that they haven't strengthened by doing so.

Fulham are spending, and the sides that struggled in the Premier League have all had the opportunity to strengthen.

One of the benefits that our side may see could be that "Parkerball" is designed to compete in the Premier League. If that clicks and works, then we could be well placed to challenge for survival, if we plug the notable gaps in the defence.

But they are very much a whole bunch of if's, but's and maybe's that do not, at this point in time, show much to the neutral on our prospects.

Personally, I can't exactly take umbrage with anyone claiming we are currently looking likely to finish 20th. We went up as the side in the least form of the three promoted sides.

Are you sure about this DJ? Remember Forest also lost at home to Shef U in the play offs, so only won two of their last five)

Capture.JPG

Hopefully we can catch teams off guard.

I think us and Forest have the weakest squads on paper. Fulham’s squad was on par but they’ve added better.

Our recruitment so far has been poor and we are badly exposed at CB needing a minimum of two quality additions (three if we want to play a back five).

My concern is the teams we are chasing. In our first year we had teams like Sunderland, West Brom, Swansea, Stoke, Villa I think there are a couple more I’m forgetting who all had weak squads as well as Norwich and Watford. This year you look at who was around the bottom last time and you have Leeds who have spent a fortune, Brentford who are solid, and Saints who I would use the word ‘fear’ for it it was anyone other than them. It feels like a stronger division and we aren’t the convincing force of nature we were then.

So, I’m expecting relegation and I wouldn’t criticise the team for it with their current personnel. That kind of takes the pressure off. Scott I also wouldn’t criticise if he goes for it and goes down with what he has available but I reserve the right to criticise if he sets up like he did at Fulham and sees crossing the half way line in the first 80 mins as a bonus and then throw the sink at the last 10 when you are losing. Hopefully he has learnt from his mistake.

So Fulham did well so obviously least likely to be selected for straight back down of the promoted teams.
Then you look at the other two and it's an easy lazy assumption to pick them, just order them in historical size. Then you pick a club who's fanbase has turned on the team for the spare slot maybe Everton/Leeds or just pick Brentford because they're not very trendy and look weak on paper.

I know it's still pre-season and there still time and the window is still open, but, seeing Lerma playing CB in two warm up games? Doesn't it trouble anyone that we are more than half way through pre-season and our back line is looking very weak?

6th of August is not that far away now

All very well to hang on in the hope of transfer bargains as players become surplus at other clubs ... but it cuts both ways, so that we're left with few options. No CB recruits by next week and I'll be getting twitchy. Mepham or Lerma at CB v Villa, Arsenal, Man City, LFC in the first month? Aaaargh....

The starting 11 against WBA in last seasons opener. With three changes (Cook, Christie, Lerma) and this could be the side that plays Villa. Is it strong enough?

42 Mark Travers
5 Lloyd Kelly
6 Chris Mepham
15 Adam Smith
33 Jordan Zemura
11 Emiliano Marcondes (Lerma)
26 Gavin Kilkenny (Cook)
29 Philip Billing
7 David Brooks (Christie)
9 Dominic Solanke
32 Jaidon Anthony

My concern is the teams we are chasing. In our first year we had teams like Sunderland, West Brom, Swansea, Stoke, Villa I think there are a couple more I’m forgetting who all had weak squads as well as Norwich and Watford. This year you look at who was around the bottom last time and you have Leeds who have spent a fortune, Brentford who are solid, and Saints who I would use the word ‘fear’ for it it was anyone other than them. It feels like a stronger division and we aren’t the convincing force of nature we were then.

When predicting our chances of survival as at July 2015, the other teams we were including as potential competitors for the drop were Norwich, Watford, Sunderland, West Brom, Villa, Leicester, West Ham and Newcastle (plus maybe Palace). Swansea and Stoke were considered solid mid-table having finished 8th and 9th. So we'd see them as teams we could take points from but not direct competitors for the drop. Chelsea had won the league in 2014/15 by 10 points.

Fast forward to the end of the season... Leicester won the league (without beating us); Chelsea came 10th (losing at home to us). Norwich did a Norwich and went straight back down; Villa completely imploded (we gave them 3 of their 17 points) and Sunderland just pipped Newcastle to 17th. 5 points separated Everton at 11th to us at 16th.

Overall... I tend to agree that, compared to July 2015, it's harder to positively identify teams that are going to end up in the lower third of the table (rather than competing for 6th/7th). Apart from Leeds (arguably), it seems like most of the lower table teams from last season has something about them which makes the threat of relegation less obvious: Everton (rich owners; long history); Newcastle (rich owners; Eddie); Villa (rich owners); Palace (never really in the scrap last year so why would it change).

That said... I'd identify Saints and Brentford as two of the teams that will be in or around the relegation places come May next year (in addition to us, Fulham and Forest). Brentford are solid but got a huge boost from having Eriksen (who they won't be able to replace). Saints have been struggling for the past 2 seasons.

There will also a surprise or two. Based on 2020/21 and preparations for 2021/22, no one would have predicted Leeds and Everton would struggle so badly. I think Wolves may struggle this year. Their form from February onwards was pretty woeful. I also think we may see an unexpected implosion (perhaps Leicester or West Ham).

Anyway... I've typed all this and realised by the end that I'm in agreement with you. Weaker teams are somewhat less obvious to see this year.

But query how relevant that ends up being in the end. We will only truly be able to judge the relative strength of our squad with others having played 10-15 games. Compared to 2014/15 I'm equally (un)confident of us staying up. I was 50/50 then and I'm about the same now but with different reasoning.

;