6 Sucessive Home Defeats

If you were around in the 04/05 season you’d know exactly how we’d feel. Went on a record breaking winning run away, but coincided with six straight defeats at home to narrowly miss out on the play offs on the last day to Hartlepool. The talent in that team was ridiculous for that level but there wasn’t enough character or leaders, sound familiar?

Funny thing is I don't think the Liverpool fans are that angry.

They put it down to no fans supporting the team and the number of injuries.

Not sure that excuses the lack of home goals though when the big 3 have been fit all season?

BTW Sods law for us - our best home record for decades and no-one there to see it live save for 3 games - 1 of which was a defeat in itself!

Funny thing is I don't think the Liverpool fans are that angry.

They put it down to no fans supporting the team and the number of injuries.

Not sure that excuses the lack of home goals though when the big 3 have been fit all season?

BTW Sods law for us - our best home record for decades and no-one there to see it live save for 3 games - 1 of which was a defeat in itself!
My heart bleeds. What about us and the FA Cup? At least you’ve been to the final a couple of times. There is of course the possibility of us beating your record for a cup final defeat

If you were around in the 04/05 season you’d know exactly how we’d feel. Went on a record breaking winning run away, but coincided with six straight defeats at home to narrowly miss out on the play offs on the last day to Hartlepool. The talent in that team was ridiculous for that level but there wasn’t enough character or leaders, sound familiar?
I think by his username he was probably around before you were born...;)

We played some great stuff at times and should have at least made the playoffs- agree the character and leaders on and off the pitch weren’t there when we needed them ...
Even SOD seemed to be more happy with the team performing how he wanted every game rather than the results ....
We did pull some cracking results out of the bag though - including knocking Blackburn out of the League Cup on penalties after drawing 3-3 - with a certain Eddie Howe scoring the winning penalty.
What a night that was - a superb performance....
We were unlucky v Cardiff in the next round and away at Burnley in the FA Cup ...
That team lost its midfield at the end of the season and we lost our way after that ....

I get the impression that for Liverpool, winning the title after a 30 year drought was such an all-consuming obsession, when they finally did it there was an inevitable relaxation, and no energy left to follow up.

A bit like after when Man Utd won the European Cup in 1968. It was such an emotional moment that the club had been working towards ever since the Munich disaster.

As soon as they'd achieved their objective, the team fell apart, and was relegated a few years later. Took them 25 years to recover fully.

I get the impression that for Liverpool, winning the title after a 30 year drought was such an all-consuming obsession, when they finally did it there was an inevitable relaxation, and no energy left to follow up.

A bit like after when Man Utd won the European Cup in 1968. It was such an emotional moment that the club had been working towards ever since the Munich disaster.

As soon as they'd achieved their objective, the team fell apart, and was relegated a few years later. Took them 25 years to recover fully.
:agree:

It was also a young side, but we did have some leaders in that team, Neil Young, Eddie Howe, Fletch, Warren Cummings. Sorry to be picky but it was 5 straight home defeats not 6.

...well why should anyone care?...most teams have had these sorts of runs in thier history. Obviously when it happens to the so called big superstar sides like Liverpool..Man United..etc...it is headline news, but come on some of us can remember Man United in Division Two...Manchester City in Division Three...Spurs in Division Two...Chelsea in Division Two and of course the wilderness years of Wolves, Leeds, Aston Villa, and more recently Ipswich and Sunderland.

Frustratingly I still await the demise of Woolwich...but one day!

I would rather have had the experiences that I have had both in despair and glory with AFCB...but my big club supporting mates watching on TV just don't get it or have truly felt the sheer thrill of what we have done in recent years...

;