7 years

that was a weird day because we couldn't properly celebrate because there was another game on at 5.30 that we had to wait for the result to officially confirm promotion.

that was a weird day because we couldn't properly celebrate because there was another game on at 5.30 that we had to wait for the result to officially confirm promotion.

We had needed four other games to go our way at the time as well for it to happen.

Remember desperately wanting promotion to somehow be secured that day as I couldn’t go to Tranmere because of a cousins wedding. :)

Bonkers day... remember the previous midweek we were praying for a Sheff Utd-Brentford draw. Amid missed penalties and sendings off, we got our wish as it finished 2-2.

Before play on the Sat, we knew a win, together with defeats for Sheff Utd at Pompey, Doncaster at home to Notts County and Brentford failing to win at Hartlepool would see us up, but didnt honestly expect that combination to come in, but come in it did! Little did we know we would have echoes of that two years later.....

I was in TFR hospitality for the game - in those days my brother and I always liked to finish the home season in there. Ended up staying for the Hartlepool-Brentford game on Sky, as did many others. Great atmosphere..

When Eddie came back the previous October, I did a calculation (based on points per game from Eddie's appointment in 2008/9, to the end of that season), and worked out a similar improvement from 21st would leave us about 10th by the end of the season, with a late outside chance of the playoffs.

In the event, we went top on 12th February and would have won the League with ease but for the poor spell Preston to Doncaster. Remembering the Greatest Escape and what an achievement that was, goes to show what a hell of an achievement automatic promotion was when Eddie came back.

When Eddie came back the previous October, I did a calculation (based on points per game from Eddie's appointment in 2008/9, to the end of that season), and worked out a similar improvement from 21st would leave us about 10th by the end of the season, with a late outside chance of the playoffs.

In the event, we went top on 12th February and would have won the League with ease but for the poor spell Preston to Doncaster. Remembering the Greatest Escape and what an achievement that was, goes to show what a hell of an achievement automatic promotion was when Eddie came back.

The stats behind that season pre and post Eddie are on the article above.

https://bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/howe-this-means-everything-to-me/

;