A few thoughts on today

Surely Brooks has to be more central...as he was when he got that goal v Chelsea...and for several games for Wales in which he was quite effective.

It feels like every fan has been saying this for years now, and yet multiple managers have passed on trying it out. You’d think with a formation using 2 attacking midfielders that Parker would be inclined to give it a go.

One more point, then I’ll stop I promise lol
- Gavin Kilkenny. Is absolutely vital to the style that Parker wants to implement. I know that the majority will want Lerma to take up that number six role but the team will suffer offensively for it. Kilkenny is the one centre mid we have who is able to take the ball quickly on the half turn and switch the ball at pace to the flanks. Both Lerma and Pearson would offer more defensive protection for sure, but they are both very slow and laboured in possession (not a criticism necessarily, just their style.) This system relies on moving the ball quickly with intensity, and being able to switch play before the opposition can set their defensive structure. A key factor going forward will be working out a way to get Kilkenny on the ball as much as possible. I will get pelters for this, both players have their individual qualities for sure, but neither is the right fit to play as a number six in this system. If Parker is intent on playing this way then I’d be looking to offload move Lerma on to be honest as I really don’t see where he fits in and I imagine he’s way to costly to just be a squad player.

Lerma and Pearson are a perfect fit for an away from home 4-2-3-1 formation but only when we have creativity in that forward 3, and that doesn't include brooks who has been bang average for 90% of his time here but seems to escape criticism
and I mean bang average whether played wide right or centrally

Probably just echoing what everyone else has been saying, and this will probably stray into “thoughts on the season so far territory” but:

- We did actually miss Kilkenny imo, which is testament to both how well he’s played and how well he fits Parker’s system. Did we have a single diagonal ball that cut through the opposition from deep? Not sure whether Lerma played as a No8 or not but he seemed ineffective to me. I rate Pearson in his role but he’s a different type of player to Kilkenny and I’m not convinced he fits the system as well against lower quality opposition. Pearson against a West Brom or a Fulham with creative players in front of him will be the absolute tits, but Kilkenny honestly seems like he’d be better against the worse teams (again with creative players in front). You can see this vs Blackpool; he ran the show first half, but then Billing and Marcondes faded badly.

- Marcondes is a squad player and not someone that should be starting for us every game, as his time at promotion-achieving Brentford showed. Sometimes you only need to see a player 5 times to know exactly what they’re about; watch Pearson once and you know exactly who he is lol. Marcondes seems to be a good egg and positive presence off the pitch, but as a player he looks a bit of a luxury; has great moments rather than great games. Obviously I’m not writing him off and I think he’s going to play his part in whatever this season is. He does however need to put a bit more graft in in terms of chasing down lost causes imo.

- We BADLY missed Billing. In this current iteration of our side, he’s probably our most important player alongside Solanke to how we play. His link up play with Anthony and Zemura is crucial, his hold up play to calm it down and hold on to the ball when outside the box is crucial, and his pseudo-partnership with Solanke is too. He’s not perfect but he brings the best out of these 3 players especially as well as being technically gifted and a goal threat. Plus a final thing too but he has been quoted as being completely on board with Parker and what he’s trying to do; maybe SP having one of “his guys” on the pitch makes a difference. Idk.

- We need 2 senior strikers; who’d have thunk it?

- Brooks was massively off the pace and rendered our whole right side pointless. Stacey was poor too, but it was his first game back so I’ll cut him some slack. I’m getting to the point with Brooks where if we get an offer of £10 ish million, I’d be tempted to take it and reinvest it in someone who’s going to turn up more than once a month. He’s 24 now and has been a footballer for over 5 years, he’s not some kid with potential anymore. We can’t afford to have Stanislas and Brooks be our only senior wing options; I’d rather have a player that guarantees a 6/10 every game than someone who’s a 9/10 maybe 5 times a season and then a 4 the rest of the time. If we have to move him centrally and get another winger in somehow then maybe that’s an option. Brooks is ill equipped to hug the touch line but I’m sure there are dozens of players out there that are.

- Anthony is great, but it’s very obvious that he hasn’t really had a proper season at senior level before. All of his raw attributes are good and more importantly he runs his socks off for the team. But sometimes he’ll do something or make a decision that makes me audibly go “wtf was that?” :LOL: Whether it’s falling over in the box, his tame, almost childlike shots or other strange choices; it’s not even a criticism really because this is how football is. He needs game time to iron out these slight issues (usually done in loans), so I hope he is able to work on them and not fall away into the reserves, because he’s earned his place so far.

- The same applies to Zemura, but I actually think JZ has grown into the side with every game, especially when you compare him to the first half vs West Brom. The only slight issue is that he’s a little bit weak still, but the way he bombs up and down the wing and is able to get back in his own box for now multiple goal line clearances is a breath of fresh air.

- I think Mepham has been fantastic so far. Is it me or does he look stronger and a bit meaner? From that first booking he got in his return where he just barged that player into the subs bench lol, he looks to have turned a corner regarding being a bit soft and dallying on the ball. Long may it continue.

- Kelly has all the attributes to play for England imo. However, he desperately needs to sort out his mental approach in games. There’s a fine line between calm and collected vs lazy and lackadaisical. He can do so much more with his size, pace and athleticism, but the way he jogs to get the ball, let’s it roll past him and into danger and telegraphs certain passes out aggravates me, because I think he’s got potential to go to the very top. I also have some doubts over his ability as captain to organise his defence. But there’s plenty of time for this to improve.

I’m of the view that the current players we have available are better suited to a 4231 system. Play a system that suits the available players rather than trying to make players adapt to a preferred system.

Isn't this the same learning curve we went through with 2 managers last season? And oh look, here we are again.

;