A loan supporter

London Cherry

First Team
It’s very rare that I can get tickets nowadays, but I was delighted to go with both my Dad and son yesterday (both of whom I need to look after now). It was an entertaining match (apart from the dagger blow near the end) but increasingly I am seeing some absolute idiots represent AFCB on the terraces. My son (8) was quite scared by one individual who walked in completely out of it, rolled dodgy cigarettes throughout the game and was constantly shouting profanities at the oppo. Thank you to the people around me who tried to speak to him but it certainly overshadowed the game for me. I have reported him to the Brighton stewards but if you’re thinking that might be me reading this please leave our nice family club alone. Don’t know if anyone else witnessed this on here?

It’s very rare that I can get tickets nowadays, but I was delighted to go with both my Dad and son yesterday (both of whom I need to look after now). It was an entertaining match (apart from the dagger blow near the end) but increasingly I am seeing some absolute idiots represent AFCB on the terraces. My son (8) was quite scared by one individual who walked in completely out of it, rolled dodgy cigarettes throughout the game and was constantly shouting profanities at the oppo. Thank you to the people around me who tried to speak to him but it certainly overshadowed the game for me. I have reported him to the Brighton stewards but if you’re thinking that might be me reading this please leave our nice family club alone. Don’t know if anyone else witnessed this on here?

Part of the issue with modern stadiums... well, all seaters.

On terraces you could move away and stand with more like-minded people. So those who get pissed up and want to spend the match singing swearing etc, could gather. Dads, mums and their kids could move to the front.

This guy sounds a bit of a 'character'. Out of interest, how would you have felt if you were surrounded by hundreds of drunk fans singing, swearing? Which happens in the away end for many clubs, even ours sometimes...

I know what you mean though, If my 6 year old was with me, someone acting like that would make me deeply uncomfortable. By myself or with mates, you just ignore them, or mildly amusing sideshow (maybe).

It shouldn’t be beyond the remit of man to divide away seats into family and lively. I’ve experienced both needs in my life as kids enter the game (they are now more abusive of refs and the opposition than me so we can move back to lively) and it would make everyone’s life easier. At the Brentford game there was an elderly lady begging people to sit down. She wouldn’t have seen any of the game. That’s not right but equally it’s not right to force people to sit down…. There’s a simple solution!

Part of the issue with modern stadiums... well, all seaters.

On terraces you could move away and stand with more like-minded people. So those who get pissed up and want to spend the match singing swearing etc, could gather. Dads, mums and their kids could move to the front.

This guy sounds a bit of a 'character'. Out of interest, how would you have felt if you were surrounded by hundreds of drunk fans singing, swearing? Which happens in the away end for many clubs, even ours sometimes...

I know what you mean though, If my 6 year old was with me, someone acting like that would make me deeply uncomfortable. By myself or with mates, you just ignore them, or mildly amusing sideshow (maybe).
I personally don’t think that anyone should he allowed into the stadium if you are that far removed from what is going on. Singing, chanting yes but I had no idea what he was going to do next. I agree it wouldn’t have affected me as much if I wasn’t with my family but surely as a club we’re better than that?!

I personally don’t think that anyone should he allowed into the stadium if you are that far removed from what is going on. Singing, chanting yes but I had no idea what he was going to do next. I agree it wouldn’t have affected me as much if I wasn’t with my family but surely as a club we’re better than that?!

At least its good to know Old Cherry made it to a game.

Our kids are 11 and 9. We go away regularly. We always get our seats in the first two rows so they can see the match. Every now and again I have to politely ask a lad to sit down because the kids can't see (I have no idea why you'd stand in front of a kid but hey-ho).
Unfortunately there are always going to be a few brainless/inebriated dick-heads.

ps. I don't mind the swearing. They're just words at the end of the day and if you don't want your kids hearing them then a football away end is possibly not the place to take them.

Last edited:

You should have asked him for a go on his ‘dodgy cigarette’ might have chilled you out a bit.

I do wonder about letting in tanked up fans. This is probably going to be an unpopular post but the repeated message I got from Qatar was that the absence of alcohol improved almost everyone's experience. I'm not saying ban the sale of alcohol in stadia, but letting in fans already steaming is no good. Anyone remember those brain-dead drunkards singing their way into Elland Road during the Minute's silence in Remembrance weekend? A beer or two to help enjoy the game is fine but like anything there are limits beyond which you ruin it for everyone around you. Stopping it at the gate might be the only way. Difficult but not impossible.

I've posted this before, but my mates dad is a Spurs home/away season ticket holder. Away the whole crowd just operates a first-come-first-served basis when it comes to where you sit and they ignore the seat numbers. That solves these issues.

I do wonder about letting in tanked up fans. This is probably going to be an unpopular post but the repeated message I got from Qatar was that the absence of alcohol improved almost everyone's experience. I'm not saying ban the sale of alcohol in stadia, but letting in fans already steaming is no good. Anyone remember those brain-dead drunkards singing their way into Elland Road during the Minute's silence in Remembrance weekend? A beer or two to help enjoy the game is fine but like anything there are limits beyond which you ruin it for everyone around you. Stopping it at the gate might be the only way. Difficult but not impossible.
Clubs don’t usually let in fans who have drunk too much.

Its a bit harsh though to have a pop at fans singing on there way into a ground when they probably don’t know there’s a minutes silence. You don’t know they were drunk either.

I've posted this before, but my mates dad is a Spurs home/away season ticket holder. Away the whole crowd just operates a first-come-first-served basis when it comes to where you sit and they ignore the seat numbers. That solves these issues.

This is the way for sure. Make it common knowledge about the fan base that this is going to be what happens. Has to be a set of known 'rules' for it to work. No leaving single seats between you and next person if you arrive. Vocal, more 'lively' fans will sit (well, stand) at the back etc.

Problem is, and I've seen it before, is as well as the drunk or 'lively' person who wants (and will) stand regardless of who is behind them, as see it as their 'right' at away games. You also get the zero common sense, 'seatsworth' anal types, who refuse to move as 'this is my seat and I'm entitled to sit here...' type d1ckhead who then gets funny with people standing in front of them.

So would need need mass buyin, but it is a great idea tbh.

This is the way for sure. Make it common knowledge about the fan base that this is going to be what happens. Has to be a set of known 'rules' for it to work. No leaving single seats between you and next person if you arrive. Vocal, more 'lively' fans will sit (well, stand) at the back etc.

Problem is, and I've seen it before, is as well as the drunk or 'lively' person who wants (and will) stand regardless of who is behind them, as see it as their 'right' at away games. You also get the zero common sense, 'seatsworth' anal types, who refuse to move as 'this is my seat and I'm entitled to sit here...' type d1ckhead who then gets funny with people standing in front of them.

So would need need mass buyin, but it is a great idea tbh.

I can't ever see it working with our fan base, but it would solve the issue. Too many would want their seat.

This post reminded me of a certain supporter of ours at Brentford. I had heard talk of him before, possibly even on a thread here. But this was my first encounter.

He talked and talked and talked all throughout the match. His volume was very loud and his content mostly drivel although, as even a blind hen can find corn, there were a couple of interesting points. He occasionally sang all on his own but as if he was one of thousands.

Intoxicated or sober, I couldn't tell. What was certain was that his inane chatter was simply non-stop. He was with a group of people who seemingly weren't bothered by the stream of verbal garbage.

So what to do? If I have the misfortune to be allocated a seat too close to this person again, I will listen to Kris and Willow online on my headphones even if the commentary is out of sync.

This guy, the cheating Ivan Toney, the weak ref, another VAR failure and the dodgey Aldi pork pie all contributed to a miserable afternoon.

Solution: When you’re buying a ticket, show everyone a video of a ball going out for a throw in after a bad cross and give them the option to clap or not clap.

if you select clap you get put in a stand where seats are assigned, you can sit down, not sing and enjoy your prawn baguette. If you select not clap you get assigned the free for all stand.

;