Adam Johnson

sacked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3442924/Sunderland-sack-Adam-Johnson-winger-pleaded-guilty-grooming-sexual-activity-child-16-years.html

They've dealt with that pretty well if you ask me. Stand by him - innocent until proven guilty then sack him quickly once it's clear he's done it. Wonder what happens in terms of compensation for them. Might they sue him?

lOss of sponsorship too which is to be expected;
From the BBC
'Sportswear firm Adidas has cancelled its contract with the midfielder.'

SlowDownDerek - 11/2/2016 19:42
...Wonder what happens in terms of compensation for them. Might they sue him?
On what basis?

Irrespective, is it really a good move for the club to still be connected to him one or two years from now (cos that's how long any such case might take)?

A clean break and move on is best for Sunderland.

AFCB Lost in Brum - 11/2/2016 20:40

On what basis?

Irrespective, is it really a good move for the club to still be connected to him one or two years from now (cos that's how long any such case might take)?

Breach of contract:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/jun/14/adrian-mutu-chelsea

'Sportswear firm Adidas has cancelled its contract with the midfielder.'

Surely they've missed a brilliant marketing opportunity there. Get him to wear Predator boots.

Two things I would like to know

1. Why the cluck would you piss about with a 15 year old when you have the girlfriend he has and the 2nd one is a bit more serious (well footballing wise it is) 14 points have been gained from the 19 games Johnson has played for Sunderland this season alone now I'm not saying for one minute that Sunderland knew that he was guilty of some of the charges against him but surely at some point after his original arrest Sunderland as a club and business would have hired a legal team to have looked in to the charges etc and questioned Johnson over and over again about them and then surely they should then have suspended him until the court case had taken place so no finger could have been pointed at them (the cynic in me may just suggest that because Sunderland didn't suspend him that they may have left themselves open to people thinking they knew of his guilt all along )

CastleParkCherry - 11/2/2016 23:13

Two things I would like to know

1. Why the cluck would you piss about with a 15 year old when you have the girlfriend he has and the 2nd one is a bit more serious (well footballing wise it is) 14 points have been gained from the 19 games Johnson has played for Sunderland this season alone now I'm not saying for one minute that Sunderland knew that he was guilty of some of the charges against him but surely at some point after his original arrest Sunderland as a club and business would have hired a legal team to have looked in to the charges etc and questioned Johnson over and over again about them and then surely they should then have suspended him until the court case had taken place so no finger could have been pointed at them (the cynic in me may just suggest that because Sunderland didn't suspend him that they may have left themselves open to people thinking they knew of his guilt all along )

Maybe we should sue him.

In reply to CPC's second question...yes, the club would have had its lawyers look into the issue when first raised early in 2015, and sat down with AJ...as any employer would with an employee in a situation where criminal charges have been brought against that employee. The issue SFC faced from a legal perspective is that the offences were continually denied by AJ, and they had no basis in law to suspend him...as unsavoury as the charges were/are, they are just that - charges - and were not related to his ability to do his job as a footballer. So, SFC cannot suspend a footballer who denies charges unrelated to his duties as an employee, and there is the underlying principle of innocent until proven guilty. Also, AJ and his lawyers may have insisted that he wanted to play, as he had not been convicted of an offence.
In some situations you see "suspension" on full pay while the employer undertakes a review of facts, but that is usually when it is more in control of the charges against that employee. There is no gross breach of a contract when an employee has charges made against him/her, that is not bringing SFC into disrepute. Admitting the charges does give rise to SFC being able to end the employment relationship because the admission of the offences is a good example of gross misconduct that brings the club into disrepute.
As others have said above, SFC has acted quickly as there is now (since AJ pleaded guilty) clearly a gross breach of contract when an employee admits to an offence that carries a potential prison sentence.

As I was told about other high profile convicted footballers "they have a right to earn a living" so we should welcome them back to the game?

As with the others...NO.

He will go down as another gifted English footballer too stupid to fulfill his potential.

For his sake, he better hope he's at least had the sense to save and invest his earnings to date, because he'll struggle with employment for the rest of his working life.

Druss_the_Legend - 12/2/2016 07:46

As I was told about other high profile convicted footballers "they have a right to earn a living" so we should welcome them back to the game?

As with the others...NO.

There's two different elements to that statement. Yes he should have the right to earn a living after he's served his sentence. No we should not welcome him back to the game.

SlowDownDerek - 11/2/2016 21:02
AFCB Lost in Brum - 11/2/2016 20:40
On what basis?
Breach of contract:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/jun/14/adrian-mutu-chelsea
So you'd suggest it would be a good move for Sunderland to pursue such a case?

I don't see why people would feel negative about Sunderland for suing him. Doesn't it suggest that they are also victims of his dishonesty? I don't think I'd have a problem with it if I was a Sunderland fan.

;