AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa - Sunday 2 pm

Yes it’s gutting to concede so late but I won’t have a bad word said about that performance, we just went toe to toe with one of the best sides in the league (on current form) and got the better of them over the course of the game. The first half was possibly one of the most entertaining halves of football I have ever watched at Dean Court.

My ratings:

Neto- 6- could do little about both goals, was solid enough when commanding his box and distributing but didn’t have an awful lot to do.

Smith- 8.5- insanely good performance of defensive concentration and diligence, was so aggressive in his individual duals and gave Ramsey very little in the 2nd half. Last season I thought he was over the hill, I was wrong. Very wrong based on this showing.

Senesi- 8- solid performance of fight and courage, he really will scrap for his life to come out on top. The more aggressive of the two centre backs, always looking to engage his marker. Good showing.

Zabarnyi- 8- has really overcome a very shaky start to the season to look very composed and assured. Where Senesi is the fighter he is the sweeper, reading the game well to sweep up any balls that make it in behind our back line. He has the ingredients to go to the top if he can fine tune his distribution and his concentration levels in the penalty area.

Kerkez- 8.5- like Senesi, a performance full of fight and bravery. Fighting for his life to win every second ball. A lovely bit of quality to provide the cut back for the assist too. Really got to grips with Bailly in the 2nd half.

Cook- 8- he’s starting to look like the Lewis Cook of old, gliding effortlessly with the ball. Was very good in possession today and did his usual unnoticed defensive work.

Christie- 9.5- I can’t give him a ten because not everyone he did was perfect but my God he wasn’t far off. This man completely transforms this team when playing as a central midfielder, I’m not sure some realise quite how important this tactical tweak has been to our upturn in form. One minute he’s popping up in the opponents area as our most advanced player and then in the blink of an eye he’s intercepting a pass on the edge of our own area! The man is an absolute monster, it feels as though he covers the ground of two players. His passing and vision was a joy to watch today too, one ball he plucked out of the air was sublime. Possibly the best performance I’ve ever seen from a Bournemouth midfielder.

Kluivert- 7.5- led the press well and near and tidy on the ball, always proving to create an opening. Drifting intelligently across the line to knit together the midfield and attack, doing an underrated job right now.

Semenyo- 9- I’m yet to see a full back who really knows how to handle him, he’s one of these very rare players who you know if you get him the ball in dangerous areas that something will almost always happen. Strength, pace, skill and composure for his goal. Can’t remember too many players for us who could strike a ball so cleanly either, he’s a Wilf Zaha level player already imo. And by that I mean your heart will sink when you see him on your opponents team sheet.

Tavernier- 8.5- stunning display of ball carrying and incredibly unfortunate not to register an assist. Like Semenyo, you always feel like things can happen when he is ion the ball. He never stops working either.

Solanke-7.5- not the most all action game from him, but battled well and produced a wonderfully composed turn and finish. Should he have scored a second? For me it was a good save and he was unlucky.

I've criticised him all season, not just today !! And I will continue to do so, as I see fit. I am right more than I am wrong, I think you'll find.
Really in your own head. Might be a day for something positive, not negative.
I thought Phil was excellent when he came on, and senesteri

On the Billing debate, my take is that the pressure from the team is less effective when he is on the field. However, he does produce a significant amount in attack; he makes good runs and he’s got the quality.

So probably still valid in certain contexts. Against a team that is so strong and quick on the ball as Villa, probably more a bit of a liability than a solution.

But he will have an important role this season for sure.

Cracking game the best at Dean Court this season to date in my humble view. Credit is due to both sides. The draw was a tad harsh on Bournemouth.

One minor nigggle. Sadly we are stuck with VAR whichever way decisions go. Why can't they show in the stadium the pictures the "experts" (note small e) are seeing in their rabbit hutch.
I watched on TV and you could see he was offside straight away when it went to VAR,
but for some reason they kept checking and checking and checking just to make sure they were not seeing things. It should of taken 20 seconds to decide.

A strange feeling to come away a) pissed off not to win, b) pleased and proud with the performance.

It's clear as day we're a totally different beast to a month ago. Something has clearly clicked. The tempo, the shape, the energy, is all on another planet. The players clearly buy into this. So we should too.

The trouble will be keeping this level of intensity going with various injuries and games coming thick and fast. But not many teams live with us today. Villa are lucky as f**k to claim a point with the slimmest of margins. Demonstrated by their fan's silence.

We're onto something here and need to stick it through, even though there will be ups and downs.

Fantastic performance. Only their keeper and some amazing last ditch tackles stopped that being 4-1. Real buzz about the team and everyone knows their roles, it’s clicked.

I worry about defensive cover with 7 games coming up and like others hope we see Tavs as a left back and not Mepham if it ever comes to it. Milos hasn’t got 100 mins in him at that pace and Smith may struggle. Outtara has played right back but might be an ask at the top level for the lad.

Christie was immense today and deserved mom for me but you couldn’t fall out with Tavs, Semenyo, Cook or Smith who were all outstanding. Nobody had a bad game again as with the Sheff and Newcastle games. Love that we kept attacking. Love that Iraola was annoyed with the result.

Hopefully the O’Neil devotees who wanted Iraola gone can see that this was the sort of football some of us were missing and I hope they enjoyed the day.

When I saw Mephs preparing to come on for a struggling Kerkez, I thought we may have switched to 3 at the back with maybe Smith and Tav as wing backs. I was surprised to see Mephs slot into the LB role.

Fantastic performance. Only their keeper and some amazing last ditch tackles stopped that being 4-1. Real buzz about the team and everyone knows their roles, it’s clicked.

I worry about defensive cover with 7 games coming up and like others hope we see Tavs as a left back and not Mepham if it ever comes to it. Milos hasn’t got 100 mins in him at that pace and Smith may struggle. Outtara has played right back but might be an ask at the top level for the lad.

Christie was immense today and deserved mom for me but you couldn’t fall out with Tavs, Semenyo, Cook or Smith who were all outstanding. Nobody had a bad game again as with the Sheff and Newcastle games. Love that we kept attacking. Love that Iraola was annoyed with the result.

Hopefully the O’Neil devotees who wanted Iraola gone can see that this was the sort of football some of us were missing and I hope they enjoyed the day.
Any chance of you doing the post match reports again? Really missing someone doing them and yours were always good value. (If nothing else it might stop you spending hours arguing with SDD :grinning: )

Excellent performance, so unlucky not to win. Good performances all over the pitch. For me Adam Smith was exceptional, written off by many and now proving them wrong - adds that little bit of experience and know how to a young defence.
The only bit of luck we had was Semenyo not getting a second yellow, about the only thing a dreadful ref did for us all day.
Definitely looking up the table now and not down.

I'm recalling the size of your meltdowns when we conceded stoppage time goals last season....
at least try to be consistent, I know it's difficult for you

A strange feeling to come away a) pissed off not to win, b) pleased and proud with the performance.

It's clear as day we're a totally different beast to a month ago. Something has clearly clicked. The tempo, the shape, the energy, is all on another planet. The players clearly buy into this. So we should too.

The trouble will be keeping this level of intensity going with various injuries and games coming thick and fast. But not many teams live with us today. Villa are lucky as f**k to claim a point with the slimmest of margins. Demonstrated by their fan's silence.

We're onto something here and need to stick it through, even though there will be ups and downs.
A lot of teams have injury problems, but you hope the squad players know their roles. (Just watched Tottenham, doesn't matter who he picks they still play the same way)

Excellent performance, so unlucky not to win. Good performances all over the pitch. For me Adam Smith was exceptional, written off by many and now proving them wrong - adds that little bit of experience and know how to a young defence.
The only bit of luck we had was Semenyo not getting a second yellow, about the only thing a dreadful ref did for us all day.
Definitely looking up the table now and not down.

Wtf was Semenyo's first yellow for? Wasn't even a foul from where I sat. I think the ref knew it was a stupid decision and so was never going to send him off for that second one.

Wtf was Semenyo's first yellow for? Wasn't even a foul from where I sat. I think the ref knew it was a stupid decision and so was never going to send him off for that second one.
There were several players on both sides to whom he gave a daft first half yellow, leaving himself nowhere to go second half. Or else it'd have been 9 a side. But at least that'd be consistent I guess.

I hold my hands up: about 6 weeks ago, I was quietly thinking AI wasn't going to work out for us and was beginning to feel concerned. I'm delighted to be proven wrong. Everyone has stepped up a gear and bought into the press. This is so much fun to watch! Excellent effort to go toe to toe with Villa, who are having a superb season so far. A touch of strengthening in January and some luck with injuries and it's not absurd to hope for a mid table finish.

I'm recalling the size of your meltdowns when we conceded stoppage time goals last season....
at least try to be consistent, I know it's difficult for you
We conceded stoppage time goals last season playing a cowards game...that's what was upsetting...world of difference today.....I know which philosophy I prefer .....it's obviously different to yours.

;