AFC Bournemouth v Chelsea - Sunday 2 pm

billythekid

UTC Legend
First Game Back After International Break

The Cherries finished their last game before the international break with a creditable draw away at Brentford, this was after four previous defeats at their ground. The next game is back home at Dean Court on Sunday the 17th September at 2 pm against big spending Chelsea. This is the first game back since the international break and the game will be shown live on Sky. This season Chelsea have a new manager who is no stranger to the Premier League and the Cherries fans.

Maurice Pochettino had spells at both Southampton and then Spurs. He joined Saints in January 2013 and then had one full season as their manager. He then left to take up the Spurs job in May 2014 and during this time he was the only Spurs manager to see his side beaten in the Premier League at Dean Court. Pochettino had five seasons in charge at the London club, but at the first half of his sixth season he was sacked in the November. He was appointed manager of Paris St-German in January 2021, but after 18 months in charge he was sacked on the 5th July 2022.

After nearly a year out of the game, he was appointed on the 1st July this year as the new Chelsea manager. His club have backed him in the Summer transfer window by being the highest spenders as well as breaking the Premier League transfer record with the signing of the Brighton player Moises Caicedo for £115 million. In all they have signed 16 players.

His new club have had a mixed start to the new season. Starting with a 1-1 home draw with Liverpool. This was followed with a 3-1 defeat away at West Ham. The next game was at home at Stamford Bridge against newly promoted Luton Town. Chelsea had their first and only win so far in the Premier League, with the game finishing 3-0. Their most recent game which was also at the Bridge was a 0-1 home defeat against Nottingham Forest.

The last time AFCB played Chelsea was on the 6th May this year, it was in the short time that Frank Lampard was in charge from the 6th April until the end of the season. After losing his first six games, his Chelsea side left Dean Court with all 3 points after a 1-3 win. This turned out to be his only win, the following four games finished in a D, L, L, D.

In all our home league games against Chelsea, AFCB have W 2, Drawn 1, Lost 4.
All competitions, AFCB have W 5, D 1, Lost 12.

AFCB Team News
According to our manager neither Alex Scott or Tyler Adams will be fit in time for the Chelsea game. No updated news on any other injuries since the international break.

AFCB Player To Watch
Marcus Tavernier was such an important player for us last season with his goals and assists and was missed when out injured. It’s good to see him back. We may get to see our new loan signing Lois Sinisterra from Leeds United.

Chelsea Team News
They have ten players out injured going into this game, possibly one or two could be available for Sunday. No up to date news on players returning from the internationals.

Chelsea Player To Watch
There probably will be one player the Cherries fans will have their eye on and that is Nicolas Jackson the player our club could have signed in January, but the player failed a medical. So far he has found the net once, that was at home against Luton Town in the third of Chelsea’s four Premier League games. Raheem Sterling is their leading scorer with 2 goals in his first four games.

The Referee
David Coote is in charge of this game. AFCB had him for three away games last season, Manchester City, West Ham and Leicester City.

Regretably, this another game against another of the PL's big hitters from which we are very unlikely to get anything from.

I always feel that we always look a bit dis-jointed in the first game after the international breaks. We have had many players who been playing games and training away from the rest of the squad and the amount of travelling some players have had to do. It is not ideal preparation.

Regretably, this another game against another of the PL's big hitters from which we are very unlikely to get anything from.

I always feel that we always look a bit dis-jointed in the first game after the international breaks. We have had many players who been playing games and training away from the rest of the squad and the amount of travelling some players have had to do. It is not ideal preparation.
Never got anything from them before so no chance now ???

Just a guess but Chelsea have probably had more players away on international duties than we have. By your logic they will be more affected and we will romp it.

Of course you’re correct. You always are. Eggbound.

Ooh I love a bit of optimism.

For me, despite the fact that Chelsea are currently a bit all over the place, this is going to be a tough game to get anything from unless AI adapts his approach to specifically counter their strengths.

They have an abundance of pace in attack and it will be very difficult for us to cope with the running power of Jackson, Sterling et al if we give them the same amount of space to attack as we did Brentford. Where Chelsea have struggled this season, it has been against very compact low blocks who deny them this space to attack. They lack the technical quality and creative tools to break down these kinds of opponents. This is the polar opposite of how we have tried to play so far though, we are probably one of the best opponents to face from their point of view to try and give their season a kick start. I think we have to set up to be more passive and look to frustrate them if we want to get anything from this one. Just my opinion though.

I see the usual negative posters getting in early
If you’re referring to me then you should probably read what I wrote properly.

I said that if we approached the game in the same way that we have up until this point then it will be very difficult, that’s all. If you’ve watched us and Chelsea play this season and understand what you’re watching then it’s difficult to dispute.

I actually have faith that AI will be able to adapt our game to some extent to give us a chance.

Sterling always seems to score against us and feel not buying Jackson in Jan May hurt us. So 3-2 win is my prediction.

For me, despite the fact that Chelsea are currently a bit all over the place, this is going to be a tough game to get anything from unless AI adapts his approach to specifically counter their strengths.

They have an abundance of pace in attack and it will be very difficult for us to cope with the running power of Jackson, Sterling et al if we give them the same amount of space to attack as we did Brentford. Where Chelsea have struggled this season, it has been against very compact low blocks who deny them this space to attack. They lack the technical quality and creative tools to break down these kinds of opponents. This is the polar opposite of how we have tried to play so far though, we are probably one of the best opponents to face from their point of view to try and give their season a kick start. I think we have to set up to be more passive and look to frustrate them if we want to get anything from this one. Just my opinion though.

I can see the logic here, but I don’t think AI will compromise our style no matter who we play (if he stays consistent with his career at Rayo). Also worth remembering that Chelsea’s defence isn’t great either, so there is an opportunity for a result for us too with our style of play. And until we have Adams fit, I think we’re going to be more open than AI would want anyway.

I think this’ll be a 3-2 game but unsure who’ll win.

Score prediction?
When taking into account that Tavernier is hopefully fit to start and that we are at home we could make a game of it. However, we have to take into account that we have had players away on international duty and the travelling involved may effect the players sharpness as it always does after an international break. Yes Chelsea have had players away as well , but they have more quality in depth than us. We also have Sterling and Jackson to contend with and so. our back line does look a bit static and lacks movement at times for my liking against the pace of these two.

So my prediction is a 1-2 or 1-3 defeat.

;