AFC Bournemouth v Hull City

I was at the game (for my sins). I do remember seeing Parker et all shouting and gesticulating at players. He also spoke to players during water breaks on a couple of occasions when players were down.

That said we don't know what was said to the players so he could still lose respect if they were doing or trying to do what was asked. Particularly as there were tactical changes second half which could have been contributing to us being more stretched.
Thanks for that reply RedSky. On that basis I'm guessing that Parker thought he was doing what was necessary from the touchline but that it just wasn't being implemented correctly by the players. As you say, we'll never know whether his plan was actually workable out there on the pitch but clearly he thinks it would have helped.
He cut an angry and frustrated figure in that video, I really hope that he isn't beginning to "lose the dressing room". How he handles this will be very important to our prospects of promotion !

I just watched the COWS post game interview with Parker and it was quite interesting. He mentioned ( apologies, I'm paraphrasing, this is not an exact quote ) that he has been here six months and in that time you learn things about the team and today he learned something about the team which is absolutely not in line with what he expects and that it is his job as manager to sort it out.
It all sounded a bit as though our old problem is rearing its head again. That certain players have their minds elsewhere and are not giving the 100% commitment that he expects. No doubt players have been constantly checking their phones since the beginning of December to see if their agents have any hot moves lined up for them. I think there might be a lack of focus on the job at hand at the moment and perhaps that is what Parker is alluding to ?

He also said that he liked nothing about the second half performance, the players were no longer executing what they were supposed to be executing and that he expected much more of them. As far as I am aware his job is not done once the players step out onto the pitch, right ? Why on earth, if he could see all of this going on in front of his eyes, did he not spend the second half shouting and gesticulating at his players to get them back into their proper positions/roles.
I really didn't understand that. Unless he was actually shouting and gesticulating but simply being ignored. But I think those of you who were at the game saw nothing of the sort, right ?
So I didn't appreciate him blaming the players if during the second half he failed to give them adequate instruction and advice. That's the sort of thing which could see him lose the respect of the players.

Anyway, just my thoughts on a cold wet Tuesday !
:utc:

Not sure if you have read this from Davis talking about our manager.

Not sure if you have read this from Davis talking about our manager.

Thanks BTK. I suppose he would say that though ! It sounds as though he treats it like a positive but there may be others in the squad who take criticism badly and start to dislike and lose respect for their manager. Hopefully not !

That second half was strange, we looked so good in the first half.
It seems as though we didn't have the right answers for Hull's change of approach.

We definitely need a 90 minute performance from the team next time out to show us that they are capable of learning from their mistakes ! We also need Parker to take control of the performance and to tweak things throughout the game as required. The Hull manager definitely did a better job than SP at the weekend and he really needs to critique his own performance as well as that of his players.

Thanks BTK. I suppose he would say that though ! It sounds as though he treats it like a positive but there may be others in the squad who take criticism badly and start to dislike and lose respect for their manager. Hopefully not !

That second half was strange, we looked so good in the first half.
It seems as though we didn't have the right answers for Hull's change of approach.

We definitely need a 90 minute performance from the team next time out to show us that they are capable of learning from their mistakes ! We also need Parker to take control of the performance and to tweak things throughout the game as required. The Hull manager definitely did a better job than SP at the weekend and he really needs to critique his own performance as well as that of his players.

I was at the game and it was a game of two halves.

We should have put the game to bed by half-time if our chances had ended up in the net in a half we completely dominated.

Second half they came at us from the start and we were in a different ball game.

If seemed as if our players had lost heart with all their first half efforts coming to nothing.

It was as if two different teams came out after the break.

I just watched the COWS post game interview with Parker and it was quite interesting. He mentioned ( apologies, I'm paraphrasing, this is not an exact quote ) that he has been here six months and in that time you learn things about the team and today he learned something about the team which is absolutely not in line with what he expects and that it is his job as manager to sort it out.
It all sounded a bit as though our old problem is rearing its head again. That certain players have their minds elsewhere and are not giving the 100% commitment that he expects. No doubt players have been constantly checking their phones since the beginning of December to see if their agents have any hot moves lined up for them. I think there might be a lack of focus on the job at hand at the moment and perhaps that is what Parker is alluding to ?

He also said that he liked nothing about the second half performance, the players were no longer executing what they were supposed to be executing and that he expected much more of them. As far as I am aware his job is not done once the players step out onto the pitch, right ? Why on earth, if he could see all of this going on in front of his eyes, did he not spend the second half shouting and gesticulating at his players to get them back into their proper positions/roles.
I really didn't understand that. Unless he was actually shouting and gesticulating but simply being ignored. But I think those of you who were at the game saw nothing of the sort, right ?
So I didn't appreciate him blaming the players if during the second half he failed to give them adequate instruction and advice. That's the sort of thing which could see him lose the respect of the players.

Anyway, just my thoughts on a cold wet Tuesday !
:utc:

I think it’s back to what I bemoaned before. “Personal pride”, once the players step over that white line, they personally and collectively have to take some pride in what happens.

Parker can coach them, prepare them, over coach them and over prepare them and then shout and gesticulate throughout the 90 minutes (which the coaching staff always do, one steps forward for set pieces…then sits back down, another steps forward for another scenario etc), but if the players are simply going through the motions there’s little else you can do.

The obvious example of this was Philip Billing against Hull, who quite simply was awful second half. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion as he was coming back from injury…but equally he’s had performances like that when he’s at his peak.

The obvious example of this was Philip Billing against Hull, who quite simply was awful second half. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion as he was coming back from injury…but equally he’s had performances like that when he’s at his peak.

I really think Billing wasn't fit on Saturday... He was said to be 50:50 for the game... For me, he was on the 50% that wasn't fit... Should have been taken off or rested... So that's not Billing's fault... and it wouldn't be the first time we've seen Parker play players that are not fit and in some instances come out and say he made a mistake in doing so...

I also think Cahill is starting to feel the strains of an energy zapping Championship season... He's looking more and more sluggish with every game...

I hope Mepham isn't too bad...

Just watched the highlights back and Billing was chalk and cheese in the 2 halves... He was involved in everything first half... and drifted massively in the second... so yeah, I def think it was a fitness issue...

Cahill's defending for their goal... well he might not have bothered being there... For someone with his experience, I'd expect a lot better...

Just watched the highlights back and Billing was chalk and cheese in the 2 halves... He was involved in everything first half... and drifted massively in the second... so yeah, I def think it was a fitness issue...

Cahill's defending for their goal... well he might not have bothered being there... For someone with his experience, I'd expect a lot better...

I'm wondering whether overtraining is a potential issue? We know that Parker demands alot of his players in training. I'd be surprised if he lets players on knowing they are not fit enough. Older players like Cahill are more prone to this too.

Billing I think we've seen is mainly a mental/ concentration thing, he was the same when at Huddersfield. When he's on it, he's great. When not he's a passenger and isn't even positionally aware.

Cahill was very wooden when he came on. He had to have been dropped for a reason and that reason didn’t disappear after the opening half an hour.

Considering we were happy with bare bones instead of turning to Steve Cook previously, it’s odd to have not turned to your new signing.

In our last promotion season it was normally because we won
Hull City confirm sacking of McCann (msn.com)
I think he can feel rightly aggrieved at that.

Nothing much to spend, a transfer embargo and yet got them promoted and now sitting 10 points clear, gets the team firing with wins against in form-Blackburn and us with our strong squad then gets fired.

not a lot of love for him on the Hull boards but then one said that if the next bloke waves to the fans then that will be an improvement so with analysis like that...

;