AFC Bournemouth v Luton Town

billythekid

UTC Legend
Start Of The Second Half Of The Season

AFCB go into their next game and the start of the second half of the season with another home game at Dean Court having drawn 1-1 against Millwall on Tuesday night. Our next opponents are Luton Town where the Cherries visited Kenilworth Road back in December and the game finished in a goalless draw.

Since we last met, the Hatters have lost 2-1 away against Reading and at home they beat Bristol City. On Tuesday night Luton Town were beaten 0-2 at home by Queens Park Rangers, the Hatters are in 14th place in the table, with 30 points, behind 3rd place AFCB who are on 42 points.

Over the years at Dean Court we have had some high scoring matches against Luton Town, the highest score was six and the total 9 in an AFCB 6-3 win on the 21st October 2003 in Division 2. The Big Man (Fletch) and Brian Stock both scored a brace and the other scorers were Garreth O’Connor and Wade Elliott. Other high scoring game at home against them was a 4-3 win in League 1 in January 2008.

He last time we met Luton Town at Dean Court in the league was on January 29th 2009 in League 2. The game was notable for the only two goals scored in the game were from one player, AFCB’s Danny Hollands. The first goal scored was for the Hatters as he deflected a header from Sam Parkin into his own net in the first 11 minutes of the game. Danny Holland’s made amends with the equalising goal for his team 18 minutes later with a shot from 20 yards. Late into the game Alan Connell saved a point for the Cherries with a goal line clearance.

At home in the league against Luton Town, AFCB have W 14, D 7, L 6.

In all competitions, AFCB have W 24, D 17, L 20.

AFCB Team News
Junior Stanislas is likely to miss this game after limping off the field after a foul by a Millwall player, how bad the injury is we wait to hear. Arnaut Danjuma and Chris Mepham were still unavailable on Tuesday night.

AFCB Player To Watch
Dominic Solanke with little service against Millwall, took his only real chance of the night well for our goal after good movement and pass by Junior Stanislas put him through with only the goalkeeper to beat at the near post, and his fierce shot rocketed into the net, for Solanke’s 10th goal of the season.

Luton Team News
Defender Rhys Norrington-Davies who was on loan from Sheffield United was recalled by his club and immediately sent out on loan to a fellow Championship club Stoke City.

Luton Player To Watch
Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall their midfielder on loan from Leicester City. He had a very good game against us at their place back in December and seems to have carried that form on since. Scored his first goal and the winning goal for his club against against Bristol City in their last game of 2020.

When we played them most recently the state of their pitch was put out as areason why our good possession, high total shots and 80% passing didn't convert to goals.

With Dom in decent form and expecting a renewed King to replace Stanislas, difficult to see them having a go at us.

They will undoubtedly look to park bus and counter attack. Unless we score early, could be a challenge to break them down but don't see them scoring.

I was hoping we could keep them down to eight.
I was hoping we could keep them down to eight.
I think you are a optimist , we struggle against the lower sides. For what reason is beyond me. Is it because we think it will be to easy, or we can win without trying. Luton will come here to shut us down stop us from playing, they know we will try to start our play from the backs. So they will try to disrupt our play with a high press like other sides have done. I don't think they are a push over, on paper we should win. But this is not a paper game. I hope we win but would not be surprised if we have another draw.

Will CCV play given reports he is signing a permanent deal, plenty of recovery time from first game last week, and would bring something new, with a spring in his step.

Good partnership to develop with Stacey, and think he would give Jack confidence to push up.

Creates a competition for places on left which might up game of Kelly?

Will CCV play given reports he is signing a permanent deal, plenty of recovery time from first game last week, and would bring something new, with a spring in his step.

Good partnership to develop with Stacey, and think he would give Jack confidence to push up.

Creates a competition for places on left which might up game of Kelly?
I hope so !

...hope that we can get some more attacking play going tomorrow:

Begovic

S Cook
Simpson
Kelly

L Cook

Stacey
Lerma
Billing
Brooks

King
Solanke

subs Dennis/Surridge/Anthony/Ofoborh/Carter-Vickers/Riquelme/Rico/Zemura & Smith

Three at the back with L Cook just in front of the defence and Stacey and Brooks pushing on to support Solanke & King

The absence of Stan might give JT a few headaches regarding formation....not that i ever have any idea what he'll do.....i was convinced he'd go with 3 at the back against Brentford and he went with an attacking 433... and i was equally convinced he'd play an attacking 433 against Millwall and we went with a very passive 343......so who knows?
I suppose Josh could come in on the left although he's a different type of player to Stan.

Begovic

S Cook
Simpson
Kelly

L Cook

Stacey
Lerma
Billing
Brooks

King
Solanke

subs Dennis/Surridge/Anthony/Ofoborh/Carter-Vickers/Riquelme/Rico/Zemura & Smith

Three at the back with L Cook just in front of the defence and Stacey and Brooks pushing on to support Solanke & King
Not sure i fancy Brooks as a wing back tbh.

Begovic

S Cook
Simpson
Kelly

L Cook

Stacey
Lerma
Billing
Brooks

King
Solanke

Brooks as LWB?

...I think that he has the skills to play wide...yes defensively may be a risk though I guess?
He's one of the worst players we have at tracking back tbf.....plenty of wingers can play that role of course but i'm not sure Brooks has the engine for it .

;