AFC Bournemouth v Manchester United - Saturday 5.30 pm

Worth having a read if not already heard/seen it further down the report with Andoni Iraola’s comments and the Sky reporter having sympathy with our manager’s comments re not getting any decisions from the referee.

Just found this on the match report on Sky.

Should Bournemouth have been given penalty?​

According to IFAB's laws of the game, "if a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."
The International Football Association Board’s (IFAB) laws of the game for the 2023-24 season for fouls and misconduct only state that infringements that take place outside the penalty area cannot be awarded as a penalty kick.

My immediate feeling on leaving the ground tonight, apart from a lost voice, was relief that those lucky cheating manc barstewards didn’t rob us of even a point at the end. Since getting home though, feeling more and more incandescent with the decisions against us today. Just going to watch it back as we recorded it and want to see their pen (couldn’t see it properly in the game) and to understand how on earth the foul on Christie, which looked like it carried on into the box, wasn’t given as a pen. It’s just too much isn’t it.

Couple of good things to say though- thought the crowd was immense today (loved You Only Check When It’s Bournemouth), secondly Iraola heard frequently screaming Puta Madre- love him.

Now to watch the game back, and get really really really angry. Happy evening all.

Haven't read all this thread so apologies for repeating what others have probably said : )

Firstly, we are a very good Premier League team with a manager as good as Eddie (note, not better but as good as, in my opinion). When our finishing improves, I believe it will, and our luck changes in front of goal, we'll beat teams like them by a couple of goals. Some of our attacking play and work without the ball was terrific. Every part of the team shone this evening, Neto, our 10 defenders, our 10 midfielders and our 10 attackers, all outstanding. I know we had subs come on but we still carried on, without skipping a beat : )

We played well enough to easily beat ManU but it's almost impossible to beat 12 men and the VAR referee, those extra 2 men cost us the victory. Haven't seen their penalty in any detail but the little snippet I've seen, it looks very harsh. Ours? never not a penalty. We've had softer ones overturned and given against us. It's a massive "EFF OFF little club and your supporters. You'll never be as big and glamorous as the glamorous big clubs". If we ever want to get to 50 points, we've got to "earn" 60. Compared to the Super Duper Mega clubs we start with Minus 10 each season : )

Although I'm annoyed about the result and as the beer soaks into my brain, we were brilliant today and couldn't be prouder of "the lads" : )

Some other observations.

Strange to see some glum faces in the North Stand at halftime, didn't recognise any of them and none of them had spent anything in the club shop ; )

Steve McClaren coaching them? They're not really that serious about getting back in the Champions League are they : )
Harry Maguire ditto. Fair play to him about the "Who's that?" to the "Just a sh+t Tommy Elphick". Anyone else remember Goandplay from the cartoon Stoppit and Tidyup. Well he grew up to play centre half for ManU and England. I'm as biased about England in tournaments as I am about Boscombe but if he's an integral part of Gareth's plan, that's not a plan Gareth, that's a resignation letter : )

Spoke to some one at half time ( sorry mate but although we speak at every match, I don't know your name) we were both worried about not taking our chances when so on top. We must have feared the Ref was going to turn his "I'm-wank-ometer up to 11 for the second half : )

Marcus Rashford probably enjoyed the second half more than the first, at least he got to watch it with the ManU fans over that side : )

My prediction for them this time next year. They'll still be a skip fire of a club, noticeable but it's not my skip, not my fire, almost worth having a nosey at. When you do, it's a skip full of unrecoverable money and soiled nappies. As I said "Not my skip, not my money, what's all the fuss and palaver about". Sirjim Radcliffe will be considerably poorer, the Glazers will be richer and the team will be no better and every media outlet will be banging on about it, as though it's vitally important to anyone that loves the "beautiful game". Well it's not, they're the most expensively built mid table team (maybe Chelsea could run them close) in Premier League history. From what I saw tonight, mediocre is an aspiration for them : )

When all's said and done, we deserved to win, our fans were great and it was, result apart, a brilliant display all round : )

Last edited:
Robbed by the referee and nothing more to add on that front. Despite that we were still very wasteful and should have scored 4 or 5.

United are a truly awful side. They have enough individual talent to scrape them into the top 3rd of the table having spent literally billions over the last 10 years, but as a side they are atrocious. No organisation, desire or discernable style of play. I thought they were just as bad as when we played them away, just luckier this time. Maguire has to be the most awkward looking centre back in the league on the ball, it's the human form of watching a lorry attempt a 3 point turn.

Injuries have probably been our downfall for any late Europe charge. Without Semenyo, Tav or Sini we look quite slow and lose our intensity. I'm not sure if Dango will reach their level of consistency and threat. Faivre had a decent cameo and be good to see him given some more time to prove himself. Still hard to judge Unal properly as he only gets 20 minutes here and there and usually with our most threatening wingers having come off.

Haven't read all this thread so apologies for repeating what others have probably said : )

Firstly, we are a very good Premier League team with a manager as good as Eddie (note, not better but as good as, in my opinion). When our finishing improves, I believe it will, and our luck changes in front of goal, we'll beat teams like them by a couple of goals. Some of our attacking play and work without the ball was terrific. Every part of the team shone this evening, Neto, our 10 defenders, our 10 midfielders and our 10 attackers, all outstanding. I know we had subs come on but we still carried on, without skipping a beat : )

We played well enough to easily beat ManU but it's almost impossible to beat 12 men and the VAR referee, those extra 2 men cost us the victory. Haven't seen their penalty in any detail but the little snippet I've seen, it looks very harsh. Ours? never not a penalty. We've had softer ones overturned and given against us. It's a massive "EFF OFF little club and your supporters. You'll never be as big and glamorous as the glamorous big clubs". If we ever want to get to 50 points, we've got to "earn" 60. Compared to the Super Duper Mega clubs we start with Minus 10 each season : )

Although I'm annoyed about the result and as the beer soaks into my brain, we were brilliant today and couldn't be prouder of "the lads" : )
Hate to say it but Andoni is clearly an upgrade over Howe at this level.

Billing has been benched out of the squad.

Andoni said as much, big attitudes/sulkers don't play.

Sinisterra played really well and was perhaps put in a bit early...Andoni admitted it.

How refreshing, and sad to see him slip.....he is a great player.

Kerkez did great.

Aarons is a great player and played well for so long out.

Smith, doing great as is usual now.

Zabarnyi and Senesi, did well.

Outtara, ineffective once again

Cook, not too bad, better dead balls and some great play. The slip could have cost us but didn't.

Christie, a really good game.

Solanke, great finish, did well.

Kluivert a general nuisance, with the ability to get in goal scoring positions and put 1 out of 3 away.

Faivre, not liking...lightweight, bullied off the ball, will take on 5 players. Has ability buy needs to relax and not try and impress.

Unal, really again can't see much with what he brings. May likely improve, but is probably a bit like Faivre....trying to impress.

A new season will settle both Faivre and Unal into the squad.

Really miss Semenyo, and to a lesser extent Adams.

I think Adam's would have anchored that team well.

Kelly was good.

Neto was reasonable, but never gets near a penalty.

Outtara, the only player for me who didn't impose himself on the game in any manner.

And Unal to a lesser extent.

Last edited:
It's all very well blaming the ref, but the game should have been put to bed before half time.
All very true and we’ve got to improve on our finishing. But that’s about improving by 10% or so, which I think we can , and out of the two teams out there yesterday I know which one was more off it. Being a Man U fan at the moment must be an embarrassment. No- edit that- being a Man U fan at all is at least a bit of an embarrassment.

Just a point about Ryan Christie- others have noted he can’t score goals. I say be careful what you wish for- if he started banging them in regularly he wouldn’t be playing for us much longer..

All very true and we’ve got to improve on our finishing. But that’s about improving by 10% or so, which I think we can , and out of the two teams out there yesterday I know which one was more off it. Being a Man U fan at the moment must be an embarrassment. No- edit that- being a Man U fan at all is at least a bit of an embarrassment.

Just a point about Ryan Christie- others have noted he can’t score goals. I say be careful what you wish for- if he started banging them in regularly he wouldn’t be playing for us much longer..

Who cares. Not his job to deliver significant amount of goals per season.

If he's doing well/exceeding in his primary role, thats good enough imo

Its down to the forward 4 to deliver goals. His role is covering ground, breaking up play, keeping ball moving.

;