AFC Bournemouth v Manchester United - Saturday 5.30 pm

Overall I came away from DC content rather than happy. Our team has all the makings of greatness that hopefully will be even more fulfilled next season.
It was a complete moral victory. AI will no doubt develop and build on what has been an amazing first chapter.
Consider the option of waking up this morning with the horrifying realisation that you are a Manure fan, compared with the sheer joy of being a Cherries supporter.
Christie, Kluivert, Zab and Senesi were my standouts from my first visit to the North Stand in an age having been corporately evicted from the Ted Mac.
Oh, and my first experience of safe standing was a massive thumbs up. Loved it. Raucous. Passionate. Old school (ish). Superb view.

What a great day, refereeing aside. Thought that we were excellent, and would have strolled it with 11 V 11.

Also, that was the best atmosphere in a very long time. Even heard a rendition of Wise Men Say. More rail seating please!

Took a stroll pre match around the ground. Plenty more food & drink outlets. Looked good. Hope it worked.

What a great day, refereeing aside. Thought that we were excellent, and would have strolled it with 11 V 11.

Also, that was the best atmosphere in a very long time. Even heard a rendition of Wise Men Say. More rail seating please!

Took a stroll pre match around the ground. Plenty more food & drink outlets. Looked good. Hope it worked.
Thought Uncle Bill would of been at the ground seeing how it was all going...but he was at the QP having a drink.....thi k he left there about an hour before ko

Any views on the new arrangements?

I bet they sold loads of beer and it was a nice sunny atmosphere from what I saw. The problem was that the nice weather encouraged everyone to drink outside rather than under the stand so it ended up with everyone leaving it until the last minute to head to the turnstiles. The east stand queue wrapped around the north stand like a midweek cup game. Mind you there didn't half seem to be a lot of confused looking season ticket holders there yesterday - couldn't work the entry system or find their seat.

All very true and we’ve got to improve on our finishing. But that’s about improving by 10% or so, which I think we can , and out of the two teams out there yesterday I know which one was more off it. Being a Man U fan at the moment must be an embarrassment. No- edit that- being a Man U fan at all is at least a bit of an embarrassment.

Just a point about Ryan Christie- others have noted he can’t score goals. I say be careful what you wish for- if he started banging them in regularly he wouldn’t be playing for us much longer..
Just on Christie, there is part of me that thinks, ‘what if’ he were playing further forward whilst in this rich vein of form? He might find his scoring touch.

Confidence plays a massive part and at the moment, his is sky high. We’ll probably never find out and if we do, I may be left with egg on my face, but it would be interesting to see. Am not saying he’d suddenly turn into prime Frank Lampard, but I’d expect an improvement on his previous returns (not difficult I know).

At the same time, it would be a big call to move him out of that deeper role where he’s been so pivotal this season.

Just on Christie, there is part of me that thinks, ‘what if’ he were playing further forward whilst in this rich vein of form? He might find his scoring touch.

Confidence plays a massive part and at the moment, his is sky high. We’ll probably never find out and if we do, I may be left with egg on my face, but it would be interesting to see. Am not saying he’d suddenly turn into prime Frank Lampard, but I’d expect an improvement on his previous returns (not difficult I know).

At the same time, it would be a big call to move him out of that deeper role where he’s been so pivotal this season.
Historically it's always been a weakness in his game.

I feel like we're more saturated in the final third anyway.

That a DM is even competing with someone who as well as having a solid all round game has set the new high tide mark for Premier League goals is incredible in it's own right.

Interesting it was for a trip and also Gallagher said there should be more transparency for those watching in the stadium for why a decision was made.​

From Sky​

A factual decision, not subjective'​

INCIDENT: Willy Kambwala challenge on Ryan Christie - contact carries into the box. Should VAR have intervened?

DERMOT SAYS: "A nice easy one to start with. A foul was given for a trip, it's very difficult to say a trip carries into the area.

"There's a coming together, there's no doubt. Kambwala can't do much about it. The trip actually happens outside of the area.

"The referee doesn't have to go to the screen because it's a factual decision, not a subjective one."

SUE SMITH SAYS: "I thought it was a penalty, he was blocked, and it carried into the area."

'The arm is high'​

INCIDENT: Penalty awarded for Adam Smith handball.

DERMOT SAYS: "As his arm is out, the referee feels he moves towards the ball. It is high up. We have this question, how high up is high? The referee has a great view. VAR looks at it and confirms the referee is right."

SUE SMITH SAYS: "I don't like it, because it happens so quickly and the ball deflects. I don't like it but knew it would be given."

'Awarding foul would be re-refereeing'​

INCIDENT: Solanke fouled in build-up to Fernandes equaliser.

DERMOT SAYS: "It goes on 15 seconds, I think it's a foul, but it's in the opposite half. What do you do? Go back 15 seconds.

"That's re-refereeing. I do think it's a foul but it's too far back to give it."

Last edited:

Interesting it was for a trip and also Gallagher said there should be more transparency for those watching in the stadium for why a decision was made.​

From Sky​

A factual decision, not subjective'​

INCIDENT: Willy Kambwala challenge on Ryan Christie - contact carries into the box. Should VAR have intervened?

DERMOT SAYS: "A nice easy one to start with. A foul was given for a trip, it's very difficult to say a trip carries into the area.

"There's a coming together, there's no doubt. Kambwala can't do much about it. The trip actually happens outside of the area.

"The referee doesn't have to go to the screen because it's a factual decision, not a subjective one."

SUE SMITH SAYS: "I thought it was a penalty, he was blocked, and it carried into the area."

'The arm is high'​

INCIDENT: Penalty awarded for Adam Smith handball.

DERMOT SAYS: "As his arm is out, the referee feels he moves towards the ball. It is high up. We have this question, how high up is high? The referee has a great view. VAR looks at it and confirms the referee is right."

SUE SMITH SAYS: "I don't like it, because it happens so quickly and the ball deflects. I don't like it but knew it would be given."

'Awarding foul would be re-refereeing'​

INCIDENT: Solanke fouled in build-up to Fernandes equaliser.

DERMOT SAYS: "It goes on 15 seconds, I think it's a foul, but it's in the opposite half. What do you do? Go back 15 seconds.

"That's re-refereeing. I do think it's a foul but it's too far back to give it."

Interesting how the penalty question for United is all: "feels", "we have this question" and comments on the referee's "view". It reads very 'vibes' based. No benefit of doubt given for the fact Smith can't do much about it, that's not even mentioned.

Then the penalty question for Bournemouth is straight away defined black and white as a trip outside the box and factual. No subjectivity. And here benefit of doubt is afforded regards Kambwala "can't do much about it".

It seems a rather inconsistent methodology of analyzing the two incidents.
But thankfully for Gallagher it is a method that allows him to arrive at funnily enough the same conclusion as the referee and the conclusion that most benefited Man Utd.

Interesting how the penalty question for United is all: "feels", "we have this question" and comments on the referee's "view". It reads very 'vibes' based. No benefit of doubt given for the fact Smith can't do much about it, that's not even mentioned.

Then the penalty question for Bournemouth is straight away defined black and white as a trip outside the box and factual. No subjectivity. And here benefit of doubt is afforded regards Kambwala "can't do much about it".

It seems a rather inconsistent methodology of analyzing the two incidents.
But thankfully for Gallagher it is a method that allows him to arrive at funnily enough the same conclusion as the referee and the conclusion that most benefited Man Utd.

It's a waste of time really because, just like Mike Dean, they'll always side with the officials rather than giving an actual opinion.

There's little to argue with the handball, other than what is said in the video, we have a t-shirt line, is it any part of the ball below that line or the whole ball? Personally, I though it was any part of the ball as the "line" has already been moved down to that "t-shirt" line rather than the shoulder.

Not having enough time to react etc, isn't part of the law as common sense was removed.

With the Christie penalty, this trip or block or holding argument just adds more questions. The ref has given it as a trip, inside the box, OK, so the video can prove it's not inside the box but can't prove it's actually a block and a hold? How is that a matter of fact for it to not be reviewed himself?

;