AFC Bournemouth v Newcastle U - Live on Sky/Pick

There aren't any words that can describe this debacle. This team looks disgraceful. No heart , no desire, no passion. Fucking end it now. Time to go down, regroup , break this group of failures up and hopefully I'll start enjoying watching us again
I think we were still smarting from the frankly embarrassing showings in our games against Aston Villa and Man City. I'm guessing the spectre of relegation was sufficient to have Bruce put a rocket under them. We've some tougher fixtures coming up and if we didn't get ourselves safe against Villa or yourselves we could well have been dragged into it.

I agree that Newcastle are getting plenty of credit for our win, but much of that was because we weren't pressured much, certainly not in an organised way. Same happened against the normally tenacious Sheffield.

Heard that your players had an 'honest discussion' for 30 minutes after the game and I hope that the leaders explained to the rest just how precarious a position you're in. Going down because you're not good enough is one thing, going down because you're not applying 100% of yourself is a whole other story. Both our recent relegations have come because capable players phoned it in for too long. Owen, Duff, Janmaat, Sissoko, all of them didn't care enough to put the good of the club first.

If you do drop do you think you'll see a stack of rats jump ship, or will the players who got you into the mess stick around to help get you back out of it?
Great perspective and comments - especially re players phoning in their performances- exactly what we’ve had all season from at least half the team .

Eddie was asked post game about the fans frustration with the players seeming lack of effort. He seemed a little offended by that and was quick to say the fans don’t see what he sees out there and, the players are giving everything. I know he’s not going to throw them under the bus but come on! I’ve seen no fight in this team which in my opinion that’s defined as giving up, lack of effort, etc.

I think we want rid of the rats tbh. One already gone.
When we went down in 08/09 the squad played a pre-season at Leyton Orient, got humiliated 6-1. The senior players asked the staff to leave, and flat out asked "If you don't want to be here, raise your hand." The few that did were sharp got rid of, but those that stayed included Argentinian internationals, and Premier League standard players. That kind of player committee kept us United, and got us back up as Champions.

I bring this up because some of the players I'd thought of as rats, were integral to the team's success; Coloccini, Barton, Smith.

Funny you should say that. Last night, we played rather like Newcastle did when we won 3-1 at St James' Park.
Eerily similar. The opener was due to a bit of calamitous defending on our part which we never really recovered from. We were abject that day, think there were 1s and 2s in the player ratings.

McClaren was sacked after that game, but he should have gone after the 5-1 by Chelsea. He was obviously not up to the job and if he'd gone then, Benitez would have had 2 extra fixtures and the 2 week break to get the team playing better. Maybe get the 2 points necessary to relegate Sunderland instead (which ironaically may well hav helped them out in the long run...)

Eddie was asked post game about the fans frustration with the players seeming lack of effort. He seemed a little offended by that and was quick to say the fans don’t see what he sees out there and, the players are giving everything. I know he’s not going to throw them under the bus but come on! I’ve seen no fight in this team which in my opinion that’s defined as giving up, lack of effort, etc.
For me it's less about how much running around they did and more about the courage of conviction. In the tackle, in the pass, in creating chances. From an outsiders point of view, that's what I saw. Some of the tackles were in desperation, the pressing wasn't unified, the attacking play was nervous. That's without the fans getting on their backs as an excuse or anything.

I see no way back for AFCB now. The fixture list just goes against you and if I'm honest I don't think that EH has the dressing room anymore. It's going to be a tough last 6 games for all the clubs at the bottom but with you lot and Villa playing so poorly it's starting to look very ominous.

Agree that Newcastle are getting plenty of credit for our win, but much of that was because we weren't pressured much, certainly not in an organised way. Same happened against the normally tenacious Sheffield.

Heard that your players had an 'honest discussion' for 30 minutes after the game and I hope that the leaders explained to the rest just how precarious a position you're in. Going down because you're not good enough is one thing, going down because you're not applying 100% of yourself is a whole other story. Both our recent relegations have come because capable players phoned it in for too long. Owen, Duff, Janmaat, Sissoko, all of them didn't care enough to put the good of the club first.

If you do drop do you think you'll see a stack of rats jump ship, or will the players who got you into the mess stick around to help get you back out of it?
I don't think we'll have much choice but to sell our more high profile players. Ake has no business whatsoever playing in the second tier, Wilson and King are both established (despite being poor this season) Brooks has bags of talent. They'll all go for sure and we'll need to sell as we could be in trouble financially if they stay. We do have some good youngsters though, Mepham, Stacey and Kelly should form the basis of a good championship back 4. I'd like Danjuma to give us one season as well as he looks like he could be exciting. I won't mention our striking options that we'd be left with as I'm currently in a good mood and don't want to ruin it!

Your point about going down because of lack of effort is absolutely bang on, that's the overriding frustration among fans on here and that I speak to.

I don't think we'll have much choice but to sell our more high profile players. Ake has no business whatsoever playing in the second tier, Wilson and King are both established (despite being poor this season) Brooks has bags of talent. They'll all go for sure and we'll need to sell as we could be in trouble financially if they stay. We do have some good youngsters though, Mepham, Stacey and Kelly should form the basis of a good championship back 4. I'd like Danjuma to give us one season as well as he looks like he could be exciting. I won't mention our striking options that we'd be left with as I'm currently in a good mood and don't want to ruin it!

Your point about going down because of lack of effort is absolutely bang on, that's the overriding frustration among fans on here and that I speak to.

Lyle Taylor is probably on Eddie's watch list.

For me it's less about how much running around they did and more about the courage of conviction. In the tackle, in the pass, in creating chances. From an outsiders point of view, that's what I saw. Some of the tackles were in desperation, the pressing wasn't unified, the attacking play was nervous. That's without the fans getting on their backs as an excuse or anything.
Yeah this is a good point. A lot of coaches mention running stats. But anyone can jog around aimlessly for 90 mins and end up with 11km or so which I think is about the average for a PL player.

But how many lung busting efforts did you make? How any times did you run off ball looking for a pass?

Same applies to bravery and I don’t just mean physical bravery. Do you take that long shot or pass it back? Do you try that difficult through ball or just take the simple option? Do you take on your man or do you check back and wait for support?

Newcastle did a few of these things. Our players went missing. And like you say, there’s no moaning fans in the stadium to criticise when it doesn’t come off.

I don't think he'd come back even if he is. I seem to recall him being pretty peeved when he left all those years ago. I'm sure that Dom will get us goal (singular) and Surrige at least has some experience at that level. Wouldn't mind someone in the mould of Grabban to be honest. Going to be a tough, tough year!

We Strongly linked with a move over the border to Rangers.

I don't think he'd come back even if he is. I seem to recall him being pretty peeved when he left all those years ago. I'm sure that Dom will get us goal (singular) and Surrige at least has some experience at that level. Wouldn't mind someone in the mould of Grabban to be honest. Going to be a tough, tough year!

I don’t believe it was Eddie that let him go and IIRC, Taylor was one of the people raving about Bournemouth’s chances when EH came back from Burnley despite the fact he had already left the club.
Someone in the mould of Grabban would be good, get us back to our old style of play at stretching teams in the channels.

Not sure who the bloke is on TS on video.

Steve Cook mentions maybe we do too much talking, then elaborates.

This from Steve Cook, more on link.

Shell-shocked Cook said: “Words have been said, players have stepped up and spoken but it is no good unless we do it on the pitch.

“We are men in the dressing room but played like kids.

“These performances have been produced all year and something had to be said because it was embarrassing to concede four goals at home.

“It was an open discussion because we players need to step up and we are not doing that on the pitch.

“Maybe we are doing too much talking but we can only answer the questions that are being asked by the media and in-house you have to answer a few home truths.

“What was said will stay behind closed doors and we have to have a response."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12011371/bournemouth-crisis-talks-howe-sack-relegation/

Not sure who the bloke is on TS on video.

Steve Cook mentions maybe we do too much talking, then elaborates.

This from Steve Cook, more on link.

Shell-shocked Cook said: “Words have been said, players have stepped up and spoken but it is no good unless we do it on the pitch.

“We are men in the dressing room but played like kids.

“These performances have been produced all year and something had to be said because it was embarrassing to concede four goals at home.

“It was an open discussion because we players need to step up and we are not doing that on the pitch.

“Maybe we are doing too much talking but we can only answer the questions that are being asked by the media and in-house you have to answer a few home truths.

“What was said will stay behind closed doors and we have to have a response."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12011371/bournemouth-crisis-talks-howe-sack-relegation/

Too

Feckin

Late

Desperately trying to defend his players yet he will know that the team just have not performed anywhere near good enough all season - he said himself earlier this week that we’ve only had four or five really performing each week ...

Does anybody else feel that sometimes Eddie is too obsessed with COACHING our way out of trouble ? We've had sticky patches in the past and when it got to crunch time suddenly Eddie's emphasis changed and he started talking about players being brave, expressing themselves, enjoying playing. Then our results would pick up again.
Maybe some of our ineffective play is a result of our players overthinking what they can and cannot do in any given situation and they are effectively playing with zero freedom, over coached in a sense.
I really do feel that sometimes Eddie sees coaching as the answer to every problem and maybe he should allow the players more freedom, more individuality within whatever system he wants them to play. Sometimes the players really do look as though they are thinking too long when they are on the ball and would be better served being more instinctive. Players should be given more freedom to improvise and take on more personal responsibility in affecting the game.
I do wonder whether Eddie sometimes coaches the enjoyment of football out of these talented players, effectively neutralising their own specific talents.

EDITED TO ADD:
I don't think it is ever Eddie's intention to inhibit the players in their play but maybe the players sometimes take it onboard that way. Reassuring them that despite all this coaching they are still free to express their talent on the pitch may be necessary from time to time.

Last edited:

It's going to be a weird transfer window. When Elite clubs are saying most of their players will be available for transfer, that'll filter down, depressing transfer fees as it goes. that said, there'll still be plenty of interest in Ake, King, Wilson, Brooks, Lerma maybe?

It's going to be a weird transfer window. When Elite clubs are saying most of their players will be available for transfer, that'll filter down, depressing transfer fees as it goes. that said, there'll still be plenty of interest in Ake, King, Wilson, Brooks, Lerma maybe?
Yeah, I'll be amazed if we don't claw back a few quid on all of those guys. Ake will absolutely go to one of the big boys (unless another well supported club with a new influx of cash take an interest....) And I can see Brooks at a big club also. I'm a huge fan of Lerma despite him being poor since the restart, maybe a move back to Spain for him? God knows with King and Wilson, but it won't be here! I suspect someone will be in for Lewis Cook as well.

If this was all pre the apocalypse, that would be a huge amount of money coming in. Now, not so much. I suspect there will be a lot of player plus cash deals done to limit the financial outlay from clubs.

;