AFCB Disabled Supporters Association

Pretty good turn out at Dean Court last night for the launch of a Disabled Supporters Association. Also really pleased that Jim Frevola popped in and offered words of encouragement.

A Steering Committee will be set up to get the group up and running.

sounds good to have an organised voice - are there particular things you collectively are pushing for that the club isn’t doing?

sounds good to have an organised voice - are there particular things you collectively are pushing for that the club isn’t doing?
Accessibility is a moving target, so there will always be options to improve things. There will be other disabled people who will get their voice heard, and not just wheelchair users.

And I think it also says "we are here, please consult when planning new things".

But for me the DSA is also about getting together, sharing experiences and also the opportunity for social events.

Accessibility is a moving target, so there will always be options to improve things. There will be other disabled people who will get their voice heard, and not just wheelchair users.

And I think it also says "we are here, please consult when planning new things".

But for me the DSA is also about getting together, sharing experiences and also the opportunity for social events.
Seems like a good idea would be for the Assoc. to identify the "best practices" of all the away sites you visit. You would do that periodically in some of your post-trip videos. Realize that some options would not be available due to the physical structure at DC, but you might get some traction.

Seems like a good idea would be for the Assoc. to identify the "best practices" of all the away sites you visit. You would do that periodically in some of your post-trip videos. Realize that some options would not be available due to the physical structure at DC, but you might get some traction.
Taking it a step further, you could also look at how to make visiting fans better accommodated.

good luck for the group and it’s positive that the club support it

I'm sure you've seen this but just in case...

https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/trust-participants-visit-sensory-room-626504

Seems like an excellent idea if plans are going to be afoot for a new stadium.

Brentford have some good features in their ground. Always think flashing up a telephone number for people to memorise if they want to report negative behaviour like racism isn’t very helpful whereas at Brentford have a sticker on the back of each seat with a QR code so can take action.

Last edited:
We went not knowing what to expect (to be honest I was fairly sceptical) but after Ben and the Level Playing Field man had explained the concept of Disabled Supporters Association, we were both on board : )

I reckon there was approx 30 people in the room, a good representation of the broad spectrum that encompasses " disabled football fans". Then "President Jim" introduced himself, very impressed with him, understated, not over promising and prepared to listen ( seems he also acts on things brought to his attention, if he can). I came away with the impression that Bill Foley hasn't purchased the club on a whim but has a plan to build a modern inclusive club. That's also as sustainable as a football club can be and have relative success on the pitch : )

Thanks to the supporters, club employees and Level Playing Field for getting it this far. It's obviously taken some effort and I hope it flourishes. We'll do all we can ( but it's very limited ) to support the D.S.A. : )

We went not knowing what to expect (to be honest I was fairly sceptical) but after Ben and the Level Playing Field man had explained the concept of Disabled Supporters Association, we were both on board : )

I reckon there was approx 30 people in the room, a good representation of the broad spectrum that encompasses " disabled football fans". Then "President Jim" introduced himself, very impressed with him, understated, not over promising and prepared to listen ( seems he also acts on things brought to his attention, if he can). I came away with the impression that Bill Foley hasn't purchased the club on a whim but has a plan to build a modern inclusive club. That's also as sustainable as a football club can be and have relative success on the pitch : )

Thanks to the supporters, club employees and Level Playing Field for getting it this far. It's obviously taken some effort and I hope it flourishes. We'll do all we can ( but it's very limited ) to support the D.S.A. : )
Stupid but serious question, can anybody join?

Just to add, if anyone wants be involved in the steering group or just has any queries email afcbdsa@hotmail.com. Early days yet, and steering group will give us a framework. Lots of good stuff above to describe it. The key thing is whilst it is an opportunity to be an independent voice to potentially raise issues, it can be much more as well. Social, education... Anyway here's a good outline https://www.levelplayingfield.org.uk/support-information/set-up-a-dsa/

;