AFCB - Pic of the day

AlGard

UTC Legend
A little pointer for the Johnny Bandwaggon's, Under 50's etc, as to a bit of our history.
A picture a day from now till the end of the season.
You might learn something.

The football combination.
Reserves played at the same time on a Saturday as the 1st team, who drew 1-1 at Scunthorpe with an Eddie Rowles goal that day.

West Ham reserves looked quite useful.

Attachments

• z00.jpg
    z00.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 208
Yep can see it ok. Used to enjoy the reserve games on a Saturday.

To think we won it in 74 and then in 75/76 scrapped one of our best youth schemes we ever had losing the likes of Graham Roberts.

Two of my favourites in that game..the great Jimmy Greaves......and Denis Longhorn who eventually broke into the Boscombe first team and became seriously useful...can't remember where he ended up?
Tommy Naylor was another great Cherry!
John Hill was at junior school with me (Alderney), two years older...he was the best player the school ever had and he always played wearing glasses! His dad was a friend of the family and he really pushed John so hard..he used to moan like hell about Freddie Cox and John Bond not playing John in the Ist feam!

Last edited:
The good old Football Echo (Pink)
6-15pm at Freddie Cox's newsagent in Charmy Road to get a hot off the press report on the Bournemouth game. Plus loads of reports of local park games.
A miracle how they got this out so quickly all those years ago.

This is the Swindon version, but a Bournemouth win.

Attachments

• afcb5.jpg
    afcb5.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 147
Two of my favourites in that game..the great Jimmy Greaves......and Denis Longhorn who eventually broke into the Boscombe first team and became seriously useful...can't remember where he ended up?
Tommy Naylor was another great Cherry!
John Hill was at junior school with me (Alderney), two years older...he was the best player the school ever had and he always played wearing glasses! His dad was a friend of the family and he really pushed John so hard..he used to moan like hell about Freddie Cox and John Bond not playing John in the Ist feam!

I used to cash cheques for Dennis at the bank I worked at. I recall he went on to play for Mansfield Sunderland and Sheff Utd plus a few others in Essex/Suffolk. Last I heard he was running the soccer schools at Centre Parcs Thetford.

I bet Jeff would shudder at the sight of a Loan Note. In reflection no reaction just a sly grin.

;