AFCB v Liverpool - Fourth Round League Cup

I really enjoyed last night. I thought the main thing missing was our inability to take some chances and finish off some great moves. Just feel we are back on track again.

Only thing I didn't enjoy was throwing up in my van post-match! Feel slightly under the weather today, but nothing our first win at the Emptihad won't put right.
You didn't look very happy on TV shortly before kick-off when all the men in suits appeared from behind you, pushing their way past and obstructing your view! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Ive corrected that for you. You'll never get a job in the UK press unless you get it right...
Always thought @Neil Dawson woukd make a good tabloid journalist ;)

Funny enough, I did ponder saying plasma TV. Even though they're pretty much obsolete now. Pay homage to the early 2000's when this kind of stereotype seemed to gain traction.

I really, really enjoyed that performance last night.

Liverpool knew that they were in a game of football, we made them work really hard for that win. We kept the press going right until the end, great effort again from the players !

We lost to a bit of quality in the end but without that we would have been great value for the draw against a top side.

As others have mentioned already, the only thing missing now is somebody who is ruthless at putting away the chances we create. If we can find somebody like that ( I know, that's what every club is looking for, so it won't be easy ) it's hard to see us not scoring 2-3 goals per game.
Considering that we look well organised defensively ( we even seem comfortable dealing with corners these days ! ) those 2-3 goals per game should see us win more than we lose. You can see how this system could work, if we can just start scoring more than one goal per game.
We're just lacking that little bit of quality up front to convert more of the chances we are creating.

If we keep playing like last night, win, lose or draw, I will be proud of the lads and the manager. It's great seeing us pressurise the goalie and defenders like that and we do pick up some cheap balls deep in the opposition half because of it. This is great stuff. Fun to watch opposition defenders and goalies getting into a panic !

One thing we've not had enough of late was performances. Last night was a great performance without the result, a step up from Burnley IMO. Stats show we matched Liverpool, and they needed a Nunez wonder strike to win it.

The only tactical decision I questioned was Smithy (one of our shortest players) man marking Gakpo (6 ft 4). I think that was the main reason for their first goal.

Most enjoyable game for a while, despite getting soaked to the bone!

Kluivert was great, best game in a cherries shirt for me.

I think it was more that the “qualification/accreditation” was a domestic one and not transferable to the UK.

I don't get why yiu have to have these qualifications. No doubt its laid out on some website.

Surely the club can appoint whoever the hell they want.

Having worked in tech industry for 20+ years, there's a whole raft of professional qualifications out there for my domain. Main ones being from vendors such as Microsoft, Cisco, VMware, Citrix etc. Or now more managerial /Service/project Mgmt qualifications from ITIL, Agile etc.

In my experience someone having a raft of qualifications to their name, does not always transpire to being highly competent, or always better than someone who has zero of those qualifications.

Many suspect most/half of those qualifications are money grabs at times, from some vendors.

Imagine it's the same in many fields and professional qualifications... including these coaching badges?

Obviously no harm in doing them, learning new methods etc. But to make them mandatory seems ludicrous imo.

Random thoughts on the game :

We seemed to be putting more crosses in and we did take a few more shots, so hopefully that is something we will continue to see more of.
As mentioned previously, we need to find a way to score more than one goal per game if we want to win matches with this system.

Alex Scott has an incredible right foot !
So nice to be able to see a corner to us as a genuine goal scoring opportunity. How long has it been since we could say that ?

I felt sorry for those of you at DC getting soaked. I was on the sofa with my dog Ruby and a glass of single malt.

On the Spanish feed I was watching, I could constantly hear some bloke ( clearly a player or coach ) shouting instructions all of the time. I was banging my brains out trying to work out who it was, when the camera cut to Radu.
It was Radu telling his defenders to "Go, go, go !" or "Stay" etc.
He has a pair of lungs on him, that's for sure ! He came through loud and clear all game. After figuring out who I had been hearing all the time, I watched him more closely and he was indeed telling the defenders where to go, to stay or who they needed to be keeping an eye on.
So props to Radu, he seems to be doing a great job of trying to organise the defence !

We are sartorial ! :utc:
This takes some getting your head around !
The Spanish commentator stopped commentating for five minutes to tell the world that we probably had the best kit in world football !!!
He explained that the classic combination of red and black, with those simple stripes was hard to beat. But best of all he loved our club crest, which he also described in great detail to his viewers. He said that that shirt with that crest was just about the best kit he's ever seen !
So maybe we'll start selling a few more shirts to Spain now ?
If I start seeing Spanish kids in our village wearing AFCB shirts, I'll be sure to let you all know ;)

The Spanish commentator also couldn't stop waxing lyrical about Alex Scott, pronouncing that having watched him since he has come in, he is by far his favourite and most exciting PL debutant this season.

One final observation.
Mo Salah. Who he ? :lol:

not necessarily, just questioning those pinning the managers failures on an apparently inexperienced bloke no-ones ever heard of
all a bit odd really
I’d never heard of Scott Parker’s assistant and still can’t remember his name but he was I assume integral in getting us up.

Every manager has a decent assistant and this one will have been a key part of the success Andoni had at Rayo and will complement his shortfalls.

Always thought @Neil Dawson woukd make a good tabloid journalist ;)

Funny enough, I did ponder saying plasma TV. Even though they're pretty much obsolete now. Pay homage to the early 2000's when this kind of stereotype seemed to gain traction.
Funnily enough I trained as a tabloid journalist back when…

Then fell into running nightclubs as the money was better so save all the hyperbole for here…:

I don't get why yiu have to have these qualifications. No doubt its laid out on some website.

Having worked in tech industry for 20+ years, there's a whole raft of professional qualifications out there for my domain. Main ones being from vendors such as Microsoft, Cisco, VMware, Citrix etc. Or now more managerial /Service/project Mgmt qualifications from ITIL, Agile etc.

In my experience someone having a raft of qualifications to their name, does not always transpire to being highly competent, or always better than someone who has zero of those qualifications.

Many suspect most/half of those qualifications are money grabs at times, from some vendors.

Imagine it's the same in many fields and professional qualifications... including these coaching badges?

Obviously no harm in doing them, learning new methods etc. But to make them mandatory seems ludicrous imo.

It's post Brexit immigration rules.

One thing we've not had enough of late was performances. Last night was a great performance without the result, a step up from Burnley IMO. Stats show we matched Liverpool, and they needed a Nunez wonder strike to win it.

The only tactical decision I questioned was Smithy (one of our shortest players) man marking Gakpo (6 ft 4). I think that was the main reason for their first goal.

Most enjoyable game for a while, despite getting soaked to the bone!

Kluivert was great, best game in a cherries shirt for me.
Honestly, at the beginning, having watched his first few contributions, I did say out aloud "Kluivert is stealing a living, probably based on his family name".
He lost the ball cheaply a few times, looked like he couldn't be bothered chasing a ball he could have probably reached, didn't pass when he should have etc. I had more or less finally given up all hope that he might ever come good.

I'm happy to admit that I was wrong and that goal did seem to really inspire him and push him on. He was a different player after that. We just need him to play like that all of the time and then he can become a key player for us.
Fingers crossed he can take that positive attitude into the following games and really establish himself in the side !

I think you need a UEFA 'A' license to coach professionally in the FL / PL.

For another example - you need the next one up, a UEFA 'Pro' license, to manage a PL club. Some managers have had short term exceptions from that over the years whilst they work on attaining it, but seemingly AFCB aren't afforded that luxury for a coach.

My assumption would have been that to coach in La Liga, you'd need the same UEFA licensing. But apparently not.

Honestly, at the beginning, having watched his first few contributions, I did say out aloud "Kluivert is stealing a living, probably based on his family name".
He lost the ball cheaply a few times, looked like he couldn't be bothered chasing a ball he could have probably reached, didn't pass when he should have etc. I had more or less finally given up all hope that he might ever come good.

I'm happy to admit that I was wrong and that goal did seem to really inspire him and push him on. He was a different player after that. We just need him to play like that all of the time and then he can become a key player for us.
Fingers crossed he can take that positive attitude into the following games and really establish himself in the side !

I think that's very harsh, I thought he was having a great game before the goal. Not everything came off but he was a thorn in their side. Tbh I'm not sure why everyone seems to have written him off. I've not really seen him have a shocker, he's looked quite good at times and then quiet at others but that's the life of a winger.

It's just an opinion. Don't really worry too much whether you agree or not as we all have our own views.
End of.
Yeah.. that's about right ....and it's only on the poxy Internet and doesnt actually matter a toss one way or another . Fullstop. :loser:

I think that's very harsh, I thought he was having a great game before the goal. Not everything came off but he was a thorn in their side. Tbh I'm not sure why everyone seems to have written him off. I've not really seen him have a shocker, he's looked quite good at times and then quiet at others but that's the life of a winger.
He's been a bit on and off but I think his main contributions Re performances have been away at Brentford and last night v Liverpool... For me they have been close to our two best performances this season... Take from that what you will... Still not the complete player but he's definitely offering a lot more than Traore and Dango right now...

Just to add I thought we went toe-to-toe with a top 4 side that put out a strong side, probably in full knowledge that they were going to get a game down here... With the first half being pretty even, it took a Worldy to beat us...

'That' 20 minute spell where Liverpool couldn't get out their half, whilst weather assisted, we were at our best... That is the Iraola press I've been expecting and waiting to see all season... Not many teams will cope with that... More of this please...

Nice to see Klopp come out in his post match and recognise the quality of the game as well...

Reflecting on the contest, Klopp said: “It was a top, top cup game..."

I Echo this, he and Semenyo were giving their defence a torrid time until they both came off.

Like Semenyo, he has had some average games when our link up play has been poor.

Last night I saw evidence of some great partnerships developing. Also, everyone pressing as a team reaps rewards, who knew! Some gaps in midfield at times but make no mistake, this was much much better than the majority of our season.

I’d never heard of Scott Parker’s assistant and still can’t remember his name but he was I assume integral in getting us up.

Every manager has a decent assistant and this one will have been a key part of the success Andoni had at Rayo and will complement his shortfalls.
It's also another person that understands 100% what Iraola wants on the training pitch and help translate that to existing coaches and players alike... Whilst we have no reasons to suspect this guy would have an impact, we have no right to conclude he wouldn't either...

At the end of the day, the quicker the club can sort it for this dude to be beside Iraola the better...

I Echo this, he and Semenyo were giving their defence a torrid time until they both came off.

Like Semenyo, he has had some average games when our link up play has been poor.

Last night I saw evidence of some great partnerships developing. Also, everyone pressing as a team reaps rewards, who knew! Some gaps in midfield at times but make no mistake, this was much much better than the majority of our season.
Genuinely looking forward to when Cook can back to being 6 and push Scott upfield...

Tbf he was only his assistant for one of the three years Iraola was at Rayo.

;