AFCON

Starts tomorrow.
Interesting fact
If Max Gradel plays, this will be his seventh CAF Africa Cup of Nations, equaling Boubacar Barry, Siaka Tiéné and Kolo Touré as the Ivorians with most AFCON appearances. He was part of the winning squad in 2015.

Our main concern should be hoping that none of our players taking part in AFCON get injured.
Would you say the same about the Euros or the World Cup?

Our main concerns should be that our players are proud to represent their country in a major tournament, are successful and come back the better for the experience. Oh, and that their enhanced reputation raises their value.

A very

Our main concerns should be that our players are proud to represent their country in a major tournament, are successful and come back the better for the experience. Oh, and that their enhanced reputation raises their vlue

Our main concerns should be that our players are proud to represent their country in a major tournament, are successful and come back the better for the experience. Oh, and that their enhanced reputation raises their value.
A very reasonable comment. Firstly, the Euros and World Cup are not played in the middle of the domestic season. The AFCON is and so, we have lost key players as a result and when we need them the most. However, our main priority is to stay in the PL. We currently have a major defensive injury crisis with the likes of Kerkez, Kelly both missing. We could well do without the likes of Semenyo and Dango returning injured or fatiqued to compound our problems further.

A very

A very reasonable comment. Firstly, the Euros and World Cup are not played in the middle of the domestic season. The AFCON is and so, we have lost key players as a result and when we need them the most. However, our main priority is to stay in the PL. We currently have a major defensive injury crisis with the likes of Kerkez, Kelly both missing. We could well do without the likes of Semenyo and Dango returning injured or fatiqued to compound our problems further.

And avoid being attacked by machete wielding maniacs during a (inevitable?) Riot/stampede?

A very

Funny, there was me thinking the 2022 world cup was played in Nov and December. Must have imagined it.

When was the World Cup in Qatar played?

Surprisingly worked out OK. Obviously selection of it hosting in the first place was a total joke... no surprise given who makes tve decision.

But was a nice way to break up gloom as winter took hold in the end.

Also afcon not overly invasive as it used to be, due to pl break, Cup etc. Only couple of league games, if that players will miss iirc.

Surprisingly worked out OK. Obviously selection of it hosting in the first place was a total joke... no surprise given who makes tve decision.

But was a nice way to break up gloom as winter took hold in the end.
Personally I would rather have played a full season as normal. I find the stop start of international breaks irritating. I found the month off for the World Cup even more so.

Personally I would rather have played a full season as normal. I find the stop start of international breaks irritating. I found the month off for the World Cup even more so.

Agree. Would prefer it being in it'd usual spot, but logistically not realistic if fifa insist on hosting in countries with such extreme summer climates... AFAIK.

Shouldn't even be there tbh, as such small % of population over there care about football. But those that do happen to be very, very rich...

Should be held in countries with some semblance of history in football imo.

Perhaps save world club championship fir countries like Qatar.

;