Ake goal - How was it not? Something stinks

Schmiegel

New Signing
No VAR, it went in off an opposing player, so how was it offside? Explain to me how this is not a fix by the ref. Thank you.

I think it was down to the the rather subjective grey area of whether Solanke was interfering with play or not.
If that same 'goal' went in 10 times, my suspicion is that it'd stand more often than not.

It did stand for a bit. Something very odd happenned which id love to know. Ref and Lino gave goal then after a chat Lino puts flag up. Also odd as that didn’t need to happen to get a review.

Solanke stood in an offside position and then it becomes subjective as to is he interfering with play. His proximity to the keeper probably did it for the panel.

It did stand for a bit. Something very odd happenned which id love to know. Ref and Lino gave goal then after a chat Lino puts flag up. Also odd as that didn’t need to happen to get a review.

Solanke stood in an offside position and then it becomes subjective as to is he interfering with play. His proximity to the keeper probably did it for the panel.

To be fair...the lino had his flag in the "im about to raise for an offside position" from the moment the ball went in. After some time he pointed to his ear and raised the flag.

All down to keepers line of vision and interpretation of the law, course wouldn't have been an issue had Solanke stepped up instead of just turning his back on goal, I know it was harsh but if your going to turn your back on goal as the ball goes to the edge of the box, step up and make sure your onside,

To be fair...the lino had his flag in the "im about to raise for an offside position" from the moment the ball went in. After some time he pointed to his ear and raised the flag.

It was quite a bit of time though. On highlights you can see him do it while Ake is stood 5 yards from East stand and he was facing the main stand when he banged it home

It was actually good communication between the officials and the correct decision.

Solanke was standing in front of the keeper blocking his vision. After the change to the law in 2015 that is offside. The ref could see Solanke was technically interfering but couldn’t be sure he was actually in an offside position.

So he has a quick word with the linesman who confirms he was offside and then raises his flag. Of course it then goes to VAR who upheld the decision.

The fact it hits the defender on the way in is irrelevant. Offside is judged when Aké plays the ball. Interestingly had the defender played the ball forward and one of our players tapped home it would have been a new phase and therefore not offside, but as it happened, the decision was correct and I think Eddie begrudgingly agreed too.

Yes, in hockey we would say that Solanke was screening the goalie.
So he was absolutely "involved" in the play for that reason, even though he didn't touch the ball.
edit: Bucklandman posted the above photo just as I was writing - from that photo it doesn't look like Solanke is in the way, but when I saw the TV replays it looked like he was.

It was actually good communication between the officials and the correct decision.

Solanke was standing in front of the keeper blocking his vision. After the change to the law in 2015 that is offside. The ref could see Solanke was technically interfering but couldn’t be sure he was actually in an offside position.

So he has a quick word with the linesman who confirms he was offside and then raises his flag. Of course it then goes to VAR who upheld the decision.

The fact it hits the defender on the way in is irrelevant. Offside is judged when Aké plays the ball. Interestingly had the defender played the ball forward and one of our players tapped home it would have been a new phase and therefore not offside, but as it happened, the decision was correct and I think Eddie begrudgingly agreed too.
that doesn't explain why the lino didn't raise his flag in the first instance and leave the ref to decide if he was interfering. thats the way it should happen.

that doesn't explain why the lino didn't raise his flag in the first instance and leave the ref to decide if he was interfering. thats the way it should happen.
I understood the directive was essentially for them not to raise their flags and let VAR sort it if offside. Which might make sense if the other clown hadn't tried to rule out Josh's goal

It does explain it. The linesman was unsure if Solanke was interfering. The ref decided he was. So once the ref confirms to the linesman he was interfering and the linesman confirms to the ref he was standing offside the flag goes up.

You can debate the refs interpretation of interfering but the communication and decision making process was spot on.

If you look at the still photo on the AFCB website Solanke is not offside.
That photo is a second or so after the shot but from the only replay that COWS shows it looks like Solanke is level to me.

@SilentWriting Solanke does try to get back onside but the replay shows him being blocked off by the defender.

They suggested on the radio that Solanke was the reason it was disallowed but we really need some clarification. Obviously it's ideal if they could do that at the game but even if it has to be after the game I think it's only reasonable that they explain why so that the fans, and for another matter, the players can understand what the **************** is going on so they can attempt to play the game according to the supposed laws of it.

That photo is pretty clear as to if Solanke was interfering with the GKs line of sight... He wasn’t.

It was funny as Rico spotted the dithering lino straight away... for whatever reason I was watching him stare at the limo as they all ran to Ake at the east stand... He'd clearly seen something wrong... but it was a very strange 10 seconds.

Solanke being offside alone could not have ruled the goal out... he had to be both offside and deemed interfering with play... IMO he wasn’t doing the latter.

That photo is pretty clear as to if Solanke was interfering with the GKs line of sight... He wasn’t.

It was funny as Rico spotted the dithering lino straight away... for whatever reason I was watching him stare at the limo as they all ran to Ake at the east stand... He'd clearly seen something wrong... but it was a very strange 10 seconds.

Solanke being offside alone could not have ruled the goal out... he had to be both offside and deemed interfering with play... IMO he wasn’t doing the latter.
Not seen it back but thought at time that Solanke deflected it in but couldnt be sure at time and like i say still not seen it again

;