Ake - MotM?

Given lack of match time I thought he gave a very good performance crowned by the goal. His presence in the defence certainly gave us more options in a different set up. Smithies shirt tugging, shoves and diving not missed at all.

Ake MOTM for me but I'm biased as I've been calling for him to play for a while.

Shouts also for Federici and Wilshere.
Feds was also very solid although didn't have a huge amount to do.

Wilshere controlled the midfield that contained a huge amount of talent from Stoke.

Ake man of match by far,
Other talk about him giving ball away in second half as if was only one.
only player to come close was cook best match he has had help ake all game.

I've heard that Harry Arter picked up his fifth booking yesterday so will miss the Arsenal game. I imagine Ake will fill the Arter role with Gosling playing the 10 if that's the case.

USCherry - 19/11/2016 23:08

If Surman is not fit I expect gosling in the Wilshere role

But if Surman is fit next week who would you drop to accommodate Ake with Smith returning?

If that's correct then it's a huge blow and we may need a rethink since Wilshere is unavailable next weekend as well.

Surman coming back from a knock and no Arter or Wilshere. Wasn't Cook out until the new year? What about Hyndman? It isn't enough to just have 3 CM on the pitch, we need an option on the bench as well.

An untried midfield three of Ake, Surman and Gosling feels a bit scary to play against Arsenal. I wonder if we might try and catch them on the hop and play more of a 4-4-1-1 with King in behind Wilson? That could also be a recipe for disaster but either way, it feels like a much, much tougher match without Harry.

Yes, Harry has 2 plus the 2=red, I assume that 2 counts towards the tally given that he served a one match ban after the sending off at West Ham. I will check.

Looking at the stats, Cook has one foul and one yellow (presumeably for the foul) in twelve games. In the Premier League.
Remarkable for a central defender at one of the smaller clubs in the PL.

There seems to be a website for everything now. Harry has 2 yellows currently according to a PL site.

Sadly he always seems close to a yellow at every moment of the game. Those lunges in the area 10 yards either side of the half way line and his outrages at decisions some of which don't involve him. A man management problem for EH how to get the best out of his passion/energy, keep the cards down and keep 11 men on the pitch. Having said that a tremendous improvement in self control by Harry this season.

Good to know we'll have Arter for next week, thanks.

I guess we'll see Arter, Gosling and Surman (if fit) or Ake (if Surman not fit).

I'd still expect Ake to make the starting XI though.

On Arter, I'd say he's reigned it in, just a fraction, since his petulance got him a yellow and, ultimately a red, against West Ham costing the team.

I thought Ake had a good game but after watching the highlights I thought he was nowhere near either Bony or Waters for their headers so if either or both would have gone in we would be having a different conversation.

Fully expect to see Smith back at The Emirates, and the normal back 4 in place... Whilst it is good to see Franno at RB and Are getting game time, Cook and Franno are our best partnership, and Ake playing means Cook needs to move over to the right side...

The troublesome spots are going to be the centre of the park. Arter, Gosling, Surman and Ake to choose from...

If all 4 are fit then I think it has to be Arter and and Surman in the middle, with Gosling playing Wilshire's role.

It's a shame Gradel isn't fit as behind Wilson would suit him down to the ground...

RE the MoTM, I'd go as far to give it to Cook... Thought Ake did well, but some of his clearances were a tad desperate at best...

Just shows how well our players played, seen three different choices of MOM besides on here.

Ale, Cook and Wilshere have all been mentioned.

Ake had a good game, and a clean sheet with a reshuffled defence is always a bonus. I didn't think he was MOM though, I thought it was Wilshere.

SteveJonesLegend - 22/11/2016 19:56

It's a shame Gradel isn't fit as behind Wilson would suit him down to the ground...

Did Gradel pick up an injury when playing France for the Ivory Coast? The little I saw of the game he looked perfectly fit to me.

Coobster - 22/11/2016 20:31

SteveJonesLegend - 22/11/2016 19:56

Did Gradel pick up an injury when playing France for the Ivory Coast? The little I saw of the game he looked perfectly fit to me.

At his absolute best Gradel might be able to play the role behind Wilson. However, what Wilshere has given us is that calmness in possession to hold up the ball and intelligently bring others in to play.

I don't really see those qualities in Gradel at all. In Wilshere's absence I feel we would be better off pushing up Gosling, Arter or maybe even Surman into that role

Gradel will be offloaded given the chance. Has to be at the top of his game to contribute and is a liability defensively.

;