Andoni Iraola

For some reason , I don't know much about this guy , is he good ?
He got Rayo Vallecano promoted in his 1st year and then back to back mid-table finishes in La Liga, 12th and then 11th, the next two years. Also got them to the semifinals of a Copa Del Ray.

For some reason , I don't know much about this guy , is he good ?
I identified him a while ago when challenged as to who I’d appoint when criticising Blake for appointing GON.

He is as close to Eddie Howe as you will get. Loves a challenge with small clubs and developing players, plays brilliant football and speaks English. Worked wonders with Real Vallecano who are a Madrid suburb club in the shadow of two giants. They also have three permanent stands!!

He got Rayo Vallecano promoted in his 1st year and then back to back mid-table finishes in La Liga, 12th and then 11th, the next two years. Also got them to the semifinals of a Copa Del Ray.
You missed out the bit about Sacked by larnaca in Cyprus

I identified him a while ago when challenged as to who I’d appoint when criticising Blake for appointing GON.

He is as close to Eddie Howe as you will get. Loves a challenge with small clubs and developing players, plays brilliant football and speaks English. Worked wonders with Real Vallecano who are a Madrid suburb club in the shadow of two giants. They also have three permanent stands!!
OK odds tumbling , looking likely .. so could be exciting!.

As context, Rayo Vallecano are to Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid what Partick
Thistle are to Celtic and Rangers.

So I get Neil Dawson’s analogy with Eddie Howe’s success with a small club, also I’d throw in De Zerbi‘s record at Sassuolo as being similar.

Last edited:
Speaks English as well which helps with what can be an initial barrier for some foreign coaches.

Lived and played in New York

A certain E Howe in the background of the picture in that link. Has to happen now!

Also, Iraola's system seems to be heavily dependent on strong play from his wingers. Which may explain why we've been connected to wingers all transfer window.

As context, Rayo Vallecano are to Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid what Partick
Thistle are to Celtic and Rangers.

So I get Neil Dawson’s analogy with Eddie Howe’s success with a small club, also I’d throw in De Zerbi‘s record at Sassuolo as being similar.
Yep my mate lives in Madrid - interesting area apparently, petty crime, pick pockets etc!.

Turned into one of Europe's hipster clubs too.

Wasn't available when they appointed O'Neil though.

;