Andoni Iraola

Exciting and will hopefully take us in a new and positive direction. Does anyone know if he speaks English ?
Good timing though as now he Can get the players he wants. UTCIAD

Speaks well and in English - seems a very good appointment and a bit left field In a good way. Time will tell of course but every recruitment is a gamble to some degree. Credit to Richard Hughes on this one - he stole a march on Leeds (see what I did there ?) and others. No way would he have been still available had we stuck with GON into the new Season. I’d hazard a guess that this has been worked on since the moment La Liga finished and the guy left Rayo. I wonder if any of his two or three Rayo linchpins will follow ?

Exciting and will hopefully take us in a new and positive direction. Does anyone know if he speaks English ?
Yes he does - there’s an interview on YouTube from his time in NY.

If AFC Bournemouth use ChatGPT to announce it:

AFC Bournemouth is delighted to announce the appointment of Andoni Iraola as the club's new Manager. With great pleasure, we introduce Andoni, an accomplished and highly respected figure in the world of football, who will lead our team into the future.

Andoni Iraola brings a wealth of experience and a proven track record of success to AFC Bournemouth. With his strategic vision, tactical expertise, and exceptional leadership qualities, we believe he is the perfect fit to take our club to new heights.

Having previously held successful managerial positions at various clubs, Andoni Iraola has demonstrated his ability to build strong, cohesive squads and develop a winning mentality. His commitment to attacking football and nurturing young talent aligns perfectly with AFC Bournemouth's philosophy.

We are confident that under Andoni's guidance, the team will continue to entertain and compete at the highest level, aiming for promotion and achieving sustained success. His appointment marks an exciting new chapter for AFC Bournemouth, and we look forward to the journey ahead.

We would like to express our sincere gratitude to our supporters for their unwavering passion and continued support. We believe that together, we can create an exciting and prosperous future for AFC Bournemouth.

Please join us in welcoming Andoni Iraola as the new Manager of AFC Bournemouth. Together, let's strive for greatness and forge a path to success.
“Aiming for promotion” ???

From various websites it says he speaks English.

This is our new manager talking about his playing and coaching career.

It’s a good read.

So the club identified the guy you wanted, appointed a successful interim to keep us in the league until he was available, then appointed your preferred candidate.

Pretty good you'd have to say.

Agree but I do think such appointments weren’t going to happen with the state of the club last season. That’s why GON only got an 18 month deal and he was a great choice to stay up.

So feel a little bit more support for manager and board would have been forthcoming from some on this forum too.

I wonder if this will signal the end of the "jobs for the boys" that we have "enjoyed" at AFCB? It will be interesting to see who the backroom staff will be - presumably Iraola will bring in his own team?

Agree but I do think such appointments weren’t going to happen with the state of the club last season. That’s why GON only got an 18 month deal and he was a great choice to stay up.

So feel a little bit more support for manager and board would have been forthcoming from some on this forum too.

Lots of us said that there was a shortage of high calibre managers available and that the short-term appointment of O'Neil looked like a stop-gap. Fair play to the club, they've got it all spot on in the last couple of seasons. Nothing is perfect and obviously this new guy could fail but it seems there was a clear plan and so far it looks like a good one.

What I like about this appointment is that Neil can now say I told you so all along. If he proves to be a success.

However, he's already got his caveat in by stating that it's not his job to discover managerial candidates, so if he fails, the club have been amateur in making the appointment because all they did was come up with the same name as someone vocal on a messageboard ;)

I wonder if this will signal the end of the "jobs for the boys" that we have "enjoyed" at AFCB? It will be interesting to see who the backroom staff will be - presumably Iraola will bring in his own team?
I bet you he's never heard of Steve Fletcher and Neil Moss!

What I like about this appointment is that Neil can now say I told you so all along. If he proves to be a success.

However, he's already got his caveat in by stating that it's not his job to discover managerial candidates, so if he fails, the club have been amateur in making the appointment because all they did was come up with the same name as someone vocal on a messageboard ;)

I know Neil has refused to credit Blake or Hughes as having anything to do with this appointment but hope is not lost. If he turns out to be crap they will be getting the full credit for scouting a dud. This appointment is [potentially] typical of them [depending on how it goes].

I'm really impressed by this signing, I must admit.
You can see the logic behind it too !

Iraola's style of play fits very well with Foley's "Always advance, never retreat !" philosophy. It is also more or less guaranteed to delight the club's fans, which is an aspect which I am sure Foley will always consider to be important, just in case he needs to fill a larger stadium at some point !
It could also potentially raise our profile within the Premiere League, as a smallish club which plays in a different way to most. It could make us "interesting" again.

It sounds like Iraola has a lot of the positive attributes of Bielsa but without the associated baggage and craziness. I'm struggling to think of a more exciting new head coach for us at the moment ( bearing in mind that EH is currently still getting the love up in Newcastle and is well off our radar at the moment ! )

:utc: Excited !

;