Andoni Iraola

I’m not sure you are asking me seriously but happy to answer seriously.

Regardless of who made the appointment I have a fear Bill will move on any manager where it’s not working hence his love of short contracts. My fear for Iraola is he has to change a whole squad mentality from trying not to lose to trying to win with a very brave style of football when you don’t have top level personnel. And a tough fixture list start.

I hope the fans and the club give him time to build a movement but I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t. Since Eddie left we’ve fired 4 managers in three years.

so you're hoping this bloke gets time but GoN was total shite despite keeping us up against all the odds and should have been fired before xmas?
and the 3 previous managers were moved on by the previous regime, and bill kept GoN on despite others telling him not to
or had you forgotten?

Very high level of fitness needed. High press and overlapping full backs. Bielsa influenced. Like early Eddie is a gamble on playing high up the pitch rather than counter attacking

My slight fear is this is a big change to implement with a very tough opening fixture list and feel it may deserve some patience and fans good will.

When do you advocate we can start the booing again. After Xmas? ;)

Neil, I fear despite nominating him, you've backed yourself into a corner, unless he is absolutely brilliant.

Your fanboys will have a field day, every loss or draw!!

That’s very informative. A plan and a way of playing. By way of contrast would it be possible to do something similar for GON? I suspect not. And there’s the rub.
I think I might a pair of those shoes for the wife as well as she's going to get bored of me talking about us having a new manager.

Lots of excitement about potential signings, but I think the current player tailor-made for a high press is Ryan Christie. Did it brilliantly on stages at the end of the season.

He sets the bar with his work rate and high press, the rest are certainly going to have to match him. At least now there will be a system for it as well, which will make Christie even more effective.

“Avoid unnecessary short passes”

Yes, please

It does depend on what he considers “unnecessary”.

Under Parker all the short passes were necessary, as we would play it back to Kelly or Phillips to “reset”, the other players would all drop back into their “reset” positions and the play would start again. It was very well drilled. Albeit predictable by its very nature.

From the short clip of him, he doesn’t appear to have this drilled, micro managed style. So there’s definitely going to be a culture change.

Genuine question: if we play a predictable style won’t other clubs find it easy to play against us?

It's a fair question as to whether the high pressing of opposition keepers and CBs will work as well in England given we probably see more play started with longer play e.g. goal kicks from keepers, compared to what he'd be used to Spain.

So whilst everything we read and hear about Iraola centres on how he combats teams playing out from the back with his aggressive press, here he will also need to think about opposition who don't really do that. What happens when Sean Dyche comes to town for example!

Last edited:
Neil, I fear despite nominating him, you've backed yourself into a corner, unless he is absolutely brilliant.

Your fanboys will have a field day, every loss or draw!!
I’m sure they will. Thing is… he needs the correct players and we like a model where the coach doesn’t choose those. You can only work with what you’ve got.

;