Any lip readers for Callum’s goal?

clintclease

First Team
On COWS highlights of the game there is a very good close up of the officials discussing their decision - can anyone lip read what they are saying?

I'm not a lip reader, but as the lino was best placed to judge whether or not it was offside the ref would not have over ruled him on that issue.
My guess is that the lino thought that Callum was just onside but instead flagged for hand ball, which the ref was better placed to make a judgement on, and that he considered that Callum had not made a deliberate attempt to play the ball with his hand or arm as it came over his head and just brushed his upper arm and so allowed the goal to stand.
It probably took so long because of all the players surrounding the officials who had to be moved away before they could have a sensible discussion.

I thought he was flagging for offside. Just he was standing with flag raised rather than waving the flag for an infraction

LewSwimmin - 28/12/2017 10:01

I'm not a lip reader, but as the lino was best placed to judge whether or not it was offside the ref would not have over ruled him on that issue.
My guess is that the lino thought that Callum was just onside but instead flagged for hand ball, which the ref was better placed to make a judgement on, and that he considered that Callum had not made a deliberate attempt to play the ball with his hand or arm as it came over his head and just brushed his upper arm and so allowed the goal to stand.
It probably took so long because of all the players surrounding the officials who had to be moved away before they could have a sensible discussion.

Deliberate or not the laws are pretty clear when it comes to a goal being scored with handball involved. Just have to think back to the Arsenal game last year.

DJ - 28/12/2017 12:17
Deliberate or not the laws are pretty clear when it comes to a goal being scored with handball involved. Just have to think back to the Arsenal game last year.

Perhaps the ref took into account that the ball did not change direction after it hit Callum's arm?

It's a clear handball, let's be real. It doesn't matter if it was "going in anyway" either, I've seen that on here as well; if someone chipped the ball towards the goal and someone else volleyball served it in, do you think it matters that it was already on its way in?

Extract from Law 12:
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
Guidance for referees on Law 12:
Handling the ball
Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into consideration:
• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement

Therefore the referee has a lot of discretion on this issue and is expected to use his best judgement of the circumstances. If in his opinion it was not deliberate, he is entitled to call it that way. It is not a clear cut issue, and this is what causes all the problems.

It was a goal

other way round and plenty would have slaughtered our defenders for conceding so late in the game, irrespective of pointless offside/handball discussions

Get over it

If you listen carefully to the soundtrack on the "Tunnelcam" video as the players come off, you can hear the ref saying to Moyes that the lino hadn't flagged for offside, or words to that effect. So he must have flagged for the "handball", and the ref overruled him. Whatever, 3-3 says the record books.

No it doesnt? It doesnt mention handball and goal scoring?

If its not deliberate then its not a handball. Callum doesnt move his arm. Its not even clear how much contact there was.

As I've said already, if thats deemed a free kick then we should have had 2 penalties for 2 accidental handballs by West Ham too.

Druss_the_Legend - 28/12/2017 18:35

No it doesnt? It doesnt mention handball and goal scoring?

If its not deliberate then its not a handball. Callum doesnt move his arm. Its not even clear how much contact there was.

As I've said already, if thats deemed a free kick then we should have had 2 penalties for 2 accidental handballs by West Ham too.

Well that's what the referee said after the Arsenal game when he disallowed our goal in the 3-3 draw.

If I had the time I'd have a search for it, but I don't, so I'm just going to hope my memory isn't going hazy!

I'm an expert lip reader and the ref said: "West Ham are utter sh*te and it would be a travesty for football if they took all the points here. What's say we make up some nonsense so that AFCB at least get one of the points they so obviously deserve"

Clear as day.

Has Wilson been credited with the goal? That would indicate Madley was happy with it. If he didn't touch it, as some think he said, then it should be Ake's goal.

;