Anyone remember Norman Hayward?

northstandmark

UTC Legend
These days Hayward owns Yeovil, and there's a good old kerfuffle going on there at the moment. Supporters angry and gates are half what they were, after finishing 2 points above relegation to the non league last season, they've won one of their opening five games so far. A director who wanted to take over the club, a takeover the fanbase wanted, has now resigned and left the club. Citing differences with Hayward, 80 years old these days, over the direction of the club and an inability to negotiate with him. Which will upset the Yeovil fans even more.

I vaguely remember that he was on the board at Boscombe. Whether he was a director or chairman I'm not sure. In those days it was given that 'the club didn't want promotion' and was happy to ply it's trade in the lower divisions.

...remember him and a few years ago spoke with him outside of Huish Park as I said that I was a fan of AFCB, at that time Mitchell was holding the reins and Norman wasn't too complimentary about us and him!
Yeovil have suffered from poor running, and paying too much to Johnson and it's owner/Chairman over the years.

Sad in a way because their support a few years back was brilliant and they should be a top half League One team at the very least...

They will never move on until they are sold and the 'deadwood' cleared out from the board...

AFCB went right to the brink of extinction when he tried to halt the takeover by supporters back in the Watkins and Ken Dando era. Him and Roy Pack were desperate to retain control of the club. If I remember correctly there was a massive dispute between him and Lloyds Bank which the club were right in the middle of. I remember the second big Winter Gardens meeting when shareholders of the old club had to ratify the takeover by the CM, it went though then an appeal was ruled out of time. If the appeal had been allowed the club were not going to be put in the next seasons fixture list according to the FL. Those were scary times.
Whether you like Watkins or not there is some pretty unsavoury and eye opening stuff in his book about those turbulent times.

Yes didn't he salvage ships for scrap aswell.Think he lived in Swanage,I met him once through a third party,seemed nice

I think he tried to gain control of the club by proposing to place/ sell shares on the AIM market, but this suggestion was rejected.......but my memory on this is a little hazy.
I think he then went to Yeovil..

I met him a couple of times. Always a big Cherries fan. One time i was in the yeovil corporate wooden hut and he was a Director of Yeovil but continually referred to Boscombe as us!

I m assuming N.Hayward is a son or grandson of the Haywards that ran the club in the 50s, 60s ?
Don't think they were interested in progress...well that's what my Dad was always banging on about..whatever went wrong he blamed ' Hayward'!

Norman was chairman when it all went teets up first time. RH gave most the facts out. And as a behind the Winter Gardens person as chairman of the Supporters Club, I knew what was going on.

How upsetting are some of you finding this?

There was a cancelled Freight Rover game due to weather, (against orient i think) where we cobbled every penny we had to keep the club going for another week as Norman had come in saying the club would close next morning unless we put something in the bank.
The safe/tills/raffle money was all handed over that night.

FACT!

Disturbing eh?

And I did fook all?
Coonts.

;