Apoplectic Wolves fans

Don't have a problem with any away fan coming on here and giving his reasoned view. Thanks for the contribution.
Must admit I don't understand the bitterness that some hold against us after that win in the Championship. Watched it back many times and still think both sendings off justified - but there we go - just my opinion.

Agreed - I know the first sending off was rescinded - but that was because of a technicality - the referee reported it for being for an elbow - and it was a headbutt, or something like that!

Think that Fraser penalty from my view was just inside the box and looking back on Sky highlightsit wasn’t very clear to see, didn’t see MOTD.

Someone text our local radio station to say they were in line with the foul and it was inside the box.

So various views on it from people in different ends of the ground.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter as King hit the outside of the post and the ball went out for a goal kick.

On the overall play, personally thought a draw was a fair result.

Think that Fraser penalty from my view was just inside the box and looking back on Sky highlightsit wasn’t very clear to see, didn’t see MOTD.

Someone text our local radio station to say they were in line with the foul and it was inside the box.

So various views on it from people in different ends of the ground.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter as King hit the outside of the post and the ball went out for a goal kick.

On the overall play, personally thought a draw was a fair result.

Yeah it looked clearly inside the box from my seat.

BUT...

Watching it back it's clearly about a yard outside the box. Justice served with the miss. Still don't think the Wolves one is a penalty though.

I think it must be an annoying penalty from a Bournemouth point of view, but because the foul happened (inside the box) but fractionally after he shot, doesn't make it any less a penalty. Thats why I say, imagine that tackle anywhere else on the pitch, its a nailed on free kick. Because the shot was going wide, that doesn't change the interpretatiion of the decision regards a foul in the box. Just from a Bournemouth perspective it was therefore entirely needless.

I am interested in your views of Fraser's penalty - at first I thought Cavaleiro undoubtedly nipped his ankle, but I implore you to look at the video I attached at Post 74, go to about 10 minutes 10 seconds. Am I being unfair? For me Fraser knows exactly what he is doing in purposelly moving his right leg inches to the right to create contact with Cavaleiro. Something that is only apparent from that one camera angle on the footage.

Its all water under the bridge now anyway.

On a separate mattrer, I hope you don't mind me clearing up 2 other things in this thread, which will be guarranteed to solve any insomnia issues you may have, way better than zopiclone.

Firstly, our aging fanbase is undoubtedly noticeable because people in that age bracket have more disposable income and hence there is a high proportion of middle aged people buying away Season tickets. Many younger fans cannot afford these sadly.

Secondly, our gates inthe mid-80s were terrible - we had the Bhatti Brothers who took us from the top flight into the 4th tier in consecutive seasons. Infact we had a side stand 200 metres from the pitch and one large terrace open. And yes we averaged 3000 in the 3rd division. But there were some mitigating circumstances at that point - obviously gates were low everywhere due to hooliganism and recession. Arsenal got 13,000, Albion 6,000, Stoke 6000 all in the top flight, whilst we averaged 3000 whilst rooted bottom of Division 3. Wolverhampton suffered badly with it steel and coal industries obliterated, with 36% unemployment being the 2nd worst in the UK at the time.

Secondly, and perhaps of greater significance is that you couldn't buy season tickets because the Bhatti Brothers chose not to print any. Infact they didnt even pay the milk bill and were uncontactable in Saudi Arabia somewhere. Many of my friends have had season tickets for many years, except for that 2 year period when they couldn't renew / purchase.

Last time we did a double relegation just a few years back, we averaged 20,000 in Division 3 (and right from the start of that season). So we are fickle in some ways, but blindly loyal in others.

Anyway, I've already overstayed my welcome.
Best wishes.

I don’t know if there’s was a pen or not but last night Ritchie made contact with a Burnley player after he got his shot away. If I’m being honest, it probably is a penalty, but as last night showed, they aren’t often given.

Yeah I was going to bring that one up; and that was EHs main complaint. Not just consistency within games, but across all referees in all games.

I don't know the rules of fouling really, but it just doesn't seem like "foul play" to me- sliding in to make a block. As long as its not a dangerous challenge I don't think its in the spirit of the game to start punishing defenders for trying to block a shot. Its a contact sport.

I think it must be an annoying penalty from a Bournemouth point of view, but because the foul happened (inside the box) but fractionally after he shot, doesn't make it any less a penalty. Thats why I say, imagine that tackle anywhere else on the pitch, its a nailed on free kick. Because the shot was going wide, that doesn't change the interpretatiion of the decision regards a foul in the box. Just from a Bournemouth perspective it was therefore entirely needless.

I am interested in your views of Fraser's penalty - at first I thought Cavaleiro undoubtedly nipped his ankle, but I implore you to look at the video I attached at Post 74, go to about 10 minutes 10 seconds. Am I being unfair? For me Fraser knows exactly what he is doing in purposelly moving his right leg inches to the right to create contact with Cavaleiro. Something that is only apparent from that one camera angle on the footage.

On a separate mattrer, I hope you don't mind me clearing up 2 other things in this thread, which will be guarranteed to solve any insomnia issues you may have, way better than zopiclone.

Firstly, our aging fanbase is undoubtedly noticeable because people in that age bracket have more disposable income and hence there is a high proportion of middle aged people buying away Season tickets. Many younger fans cannot afford these sadly.

Secondly, our gates inthe mid-80s were terrible - we had the Bhatti Brothers who took us from the top flight into the 4th tier in consecutive seasons. Infact we had a side stand 200 metres from the pitch and one large terrace open. And yes we averaged 3000 in the 3rd division. But there were some mitigating circumstances at that point - obviously gates were low everywhere due to hooliganism and recession. Arsenal got 13,000, Albion 6,000, Stoke 6000 all in the top flight, whilst we averaged 3000 whilst rooted bottom of Division 3. Wolverhampton suffered badly with it steel and coal industries obliterated, with 36% unemployment being the 2nd worst in the UK at the time.

Secondly, and perhaps of greater significance is that you couldn't buy season tickets because the Bhatti Brothers chose not to print any. Infact they didnt even pay the milk bill and were uncontactable in Saudi Arabia somewhere. Many of my friends have had season tickets for many years, except for that 2 year period when they couldn't renew / purchase.

Last time we did a double relegation just a few years back, we averaged 20,000 in Division 3 (and right from the start of that season). So we are fickle in some ways, but blindly loyal in others.

Best wishes.

have a look at page 1 of this thread, I posted a few pictures of our visit in 1986. Shows the ground as you describe it.

have a look at page 1 of this thread, I posted a few pictures of our visit in 1986. Shows the ground as you describe it.

Yeah I saw them mate, that Freight Rover attendance was our lowest ever. No one used the side stand which was so far from the pitch. The photos on the South Bank only show the away section, have you any of the home section?

I did regularly attend in those dark days, as soon as the Bhattis had gone people quite quickly started to support the club again, even in Division 4 we had gates up to 19000 but under the Bhattis many boycotted or just gave up, unable to buy their season tickets.

In a way it was more fun watching the Wolves in those days, I remember a 1-1 drAw at your place (or was it 2-1 to the Cherries)?

You're right- sort of. You can see from the refs angle in the video that it LOOKS like Cavaleiro carelessly steps across Fraser and clips him. But from the other angle...yeah, he initiates the contact and goes down.

However...Cavaleiro does still naively stick his leg forward as well; not a lot, but he does do it. I'd say its probably 70:30 (The King one is the same, except its a more obvious tackle by Moutinho and there's more contact). I can see why a Wolves fan would view it as a dive, but its not a fully fledged "dive" IMO, and I don't think any Wolves fan would complain if Jota or Jiminez did the same. Is it sneaky, snidey play? Yeah. But its also very clever. Everyone knows you have to be very careful around forwards in the box; Cavaleiro just wasn't careful enough. Thats just the way football is nowadays, every single club does similar, and worse, things. Look at Neves in the same game; blatant dive ;)

I stand by what I said before- none of the penalty shouts were clear cut penalties IMO, the clearest one was the first one, but its 50/50 on whether Moutinho gets any of the ball.

Yeah I saw them mate, that Freight Rover attendance was our lowest ever. No one used the side stand which was so far from the pitch. The photos on the South Bank only show the away section, have you any of the home section?

I did regularly attend in those dark days, as soon as the Bhattis had gone people quite quickly started to support the club again, even in Division 4 we had gates up to 19000 but under the Bhattis many boycotted or just gave up, unable to buy their season tickets.

In a way it was more fun watching the Wolves in those days, I remember a 1-1 drAw at your place (or was it 2-1 to the Cherries)?

that was a league game not Freight Rover.
Got a few extra photos I found looking over to the Wolves fans. enjoy.

Attachments

• Image (2).jpg
    Image (2).jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Image (3).jpg
    Image (3).jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Image (5).jpg
    Image (5).jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 14
Hi

Hope you don’t mind this fat, 50 year old Apoplectic Wolves fan chipping in........I don’t go in for all this Twitter-aggression, just what is the point? So apologies tho I expect it’s water off a ducks back. Or water under a ducks bridge as my typically uneducated Wolverhampton mate said.

First of all, I thought it was an excellent hard fought match, and I was happy to get a point to be honest. Although good at passing the ball around, we often come unstuck against grafting teams like Huddersfield who thoroughly deserved to beat us last night. Add a bit of flair and no little skill into a team, then you will understand why most Wolves fans were very happy with an unlikely point.

I’ve no time for billy ******** type fans and our lot embarrass me at times, though we are not all like that. Any vague dislike of the Cherries seems to emanate from the meeting at Molineux a few years back, but some people just need to hate all the time.

The key decisions will be seen though old gold or cherry eyes, I fully understand that, but it was extremely tough for the refereee on The weekend.

THe first Cherries penalty was marginal and after watching it 20 times I still cannot tell if Moutinho got the ball first.

The disallowed JIminez goal has received little publicity in light of the penalties but I cannot see much contact there. Perhaps a slight shirt tug but it’s unclear.

The Wolves penalty was frustratingly for you nailed on, despite fluffing the shot you simply cannot go through a player like that. Anywhere else on the pitch it would be a free kick all day long and a second yellow card as well.

The Bournemouth handball I believe would have been given by most referees. Yes the rule emphasises “deliberately” but that really applies to shots from 2-3 metres away, not blatantly obvious handballs like that. Again there is no right or wrong but imagine how you would feel if it was a Wolves defender.

Moutinho elbow was probably just a yellow, I accept there was no intent, but he had stitches in his mouth afterwards so there was no play acting. We have all seen reds given.

There was a lunge on Neves but I accept it’s tough to tell if there was any contact.

The second Bournemouth penalty was clearly outside the box but having seen all the angles now I genuinely believe the Player purposely moved his ankle to the right to get the penalty. I wouldn’t expect the ref to have seen it. Do check the footage towards the end, you can see he moves his ankle onto Cavaleiro to create contact.

I guess it’s the accumulation of decisions rather than any one incident.

Anyway, I’m back in my glorious Wolverhampton council flat now. Vermin, drugs and chip- shops abound:)-.

Yow am bostin'

You're right- sort of. You can see from the refs angle in the video that it LOOKS like Cavaleiro carelessly steps across Fraser and clips him. But from the other angle...yeah, he initiates the contact and goes down.

However...Cavaleiro does still naively stick his leg forward as well; not a lot, but he does do it. I'd say its probably 70:30 (The King one is the same, except its a more obvious tackle by Moutinho and there's more contact). I can see why a Wolves fan would view it as a dive, but its not a fully fledged "dive" IMO, and I don't think any Wolves fan would complain if Jota or Jiminez did the same. Is it sneaky, snidey play? Yeah. But its also very clever. Everyone knows you have to be very careful around forwards in the box; Cavaleiro just wasn't careful enough. Thats just the way football is nowadays, every single club does similar, and worse, things. Look at Neves in the same game; blatant dive ;)

I stand by what I said before- none of the penalty shouts were clear cut penalties IMO, the clearest one was the first one, but its 50/50 on whether Moutinho gets any of the ball.
I agree, Jota would try to do that all day long.
I think Wolves fans just found it ironic as the same player was literally haranguing Neves to get up for feigning injury.

You are right, it’s part and parcel of the game.

I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree about the pens, for me Wolves was the only clear one.

Respect your views though mate.

Last edited:
The only thing I would say with Fraser’s penalty is it always looks worse in slow motion. Mainly this applies to hand balls but there is an argument here too.

Something for VAR to consider when it comes in. Of course VAR would rule it outside the box, but in terms of the 3 fouls themselves, I think it would be difficult to say awarding them was a clear and obvious error.

that was a league game not Freight Rover.
Got a few extra photos I found looking over to the Wolves fans. enjoy.
Cheers mate, yep the Wolves part of the South Bank looks quite well populated. The other two sides were closed due to fire risk.

Thanks for posting. The South Bank itself had a capacity of 32000.

The only thing I would say with Fraser’s penalty is it always looks worse in slow motion. Mainly this applies to hand balls but there is an argument here too.

Something for VAR to consider when it comes in. Of course VAR would rule it outside the box, but in terms of the 3 fouls themselves, I think it would be difficult to say awarding them was a clear and obvious error.
I agree with that. It is extremely rare to have so many extremely difficult-to-interpret decisions in one game.

Think that’s why I find it such a fascinating match to look back on.

Best wishes.
My one and only visit to Molineux was back in the 89-90 season ( when we were relegated to Division 3 - back where we belong :sneaky: )
We sat in that stand miles from the pitch ! Lost 3-1 , only good thing about the match was Peter Shearer volleying the ball over Mark Venus’s Head from the centre circle early in the second half :cheers:

Welcome to the board fella, nice to hear you've at least got a chippy nearby. I'm as one eyed a fan as you'll find anywhere, especially for a few hours after a match, but like yourself I at least recognise that I am. I'll not agree with many of your interpretations, but understand why you've come to them. Shame about certain idiots online, definitely not helped by your local rag's sports writer weighing in trying to endear himself to the Wolves faithful by being ridiculously partisan in the hope of a few more hits. Was doubly amused at him bringing it up again last night and getting put in his place swiftly

Welcome to the board fella, nice to hear you've at least got a chippy nearby. I'm as one eyed a fan as you'll find anywhere, especially for a few hours after a match, but like yourself I at least recognise that I am. I'll not agree with many of your interpretations, but understand why you've come to them. Shame about certain idiots online, definitely not helped by your local rag's sports writer weighing in trying to endear himself to the Wolves faithful by being ridiculously partisan in the hope of a few more hits. Was doubly amused at him bringing it up again last night and getting put in his place swiftly
Ha cheers mate, chippy, Chinese, and Indian takeaway each help to formulate our attractive rotund figures, and with an accent to kill you can see why we closely challenge the french and Italians in the “oozing sex appeal” stakes :)-.
Wouldn’t get too worked up about our local sports editor Britney Spiers either, ok he’s Wolves through and through but he’s not got a very good reputation.

;