Are we fit enough?

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
Looking at the intensity Leeds and Spurs pressed to get the ball back (not the first teams this year either) and our inability to track and keep up with their runners yesterday and last as well as several players looking exhausted makes me wonder if we’ve dropped a level in fitness?

I know there are other factors. Playing without the ball is notoriously hard for example and why none of the top teams do it. We make subs so late due to GON’s inexperience but that aside we just look really unfit for the last 20 of most games?

Has anyone else thought this or is it just me?

Looking at the intensity Leeds and Spurs pressed to get the ball back (not the first teams this year either) and our inability to track and keep up with their runners yesterday and last as well as several players looking exhausted makes me wonder if we’ve dropped a level in fitness?

I know there are other factors. Playing without the ball is notoriously hard for example and why none of the top teams do it. We make subs so late due to GON’s inexperience but that aside we just look really unfit for the last 20 of most games?

I might be fitter than Fredericks tbf.

Ironically Spurs do play that way and I’d still consider them a top team.

Our side might not be any less fit than the others, but I’d hazard a guess that the ones covering the mileage play more minutes on average than at other clubs. So understandably they’d tire quicker or not even start the game at 100%.

I think the failure to bring on subs earlier is the answer. There’s a reason most managers contemplate subs at 60 minutes. Coincidentally when we started retreating yesterday??

Do we have game changers on the bench tho? Certainly the 5 sub change has helped the big clubs with deep squads. But Leeds had youngsters with unlimited energy and that worked for them. Not really sure - maybe its all about attitude!
Well we have Anthony, bringing Rothwell and junior on at 87 mins is hardly a game changer.

Momentum swing in games is so hard to change . Best way is to try and kill the game a bit and is where man management is key .
That 4th goal, Sendai should have nailed the striker running and Cooks free kick was so poor

I think if you sit higher up the pitch you cover less ground naturally. It’s like feast and famine with us. Everyone sits deep and then we all charge forwards together then all have to chase back when we lose it. It just looks exhausting. If we could sit higher up and press higher up we would be a better side.

I don’t agree with people saying we would be taken apart if we played that way… we have conceded the highest amount of goals in the PL sitting deep and conceding possession. Could it be any worse?

If you have a dodgy defence then you can’t let teams have the ball in front of it. You have to keep teams occupied elsewhere. The first few years with Eddie in PL we protected our defence by attacking relentlessly against the bottom ten and accepting the defeats that will come anyway by most of the top sides.

Fitness not the issue - it's fresh legs and appropriate subs. The last two matches have been crying out for an early appearance by Anthony and sustained efforts to get him forward on the left ... all the more important as we've been playing Moore as well as Solanke as we need crosses from wide. Yesterday Anthony stays on the bench ... what's the logic? Thought GO seemed a bright guy at first, now I wonder if he's lost at this level.

Maybe it's one of those typical situations when the assistant steps up to replace the manager, he has to go from being matey to being the man in charge, authoritarian if necessary. Never an easy switch.

Perhaps he was too close to the players before ? Maybe, just subconsciously, there's a slight slackening of effort and application in training because Gaz is their mate ?

agree with others effective use of subs would keep our workrate high, apart from solanke our forward players look dead on their feet around the 60 min mark and when our forward line doesn't press we're then camped back in our half

Unlikely they would be able to force him to make a sub.
I wouldn't suggest 'force' but could offer some tactical insight. GO is clearly a novice 'manager', surrounded by novices. Hardly ideal.

You're clearly gifted as you've been at the top of every profession you've ever done. Others have to work at it. ;)

... to wear the shirt. I certainly wasn't yesterday. I went very quiet following the 84th minute. But I am hoping that I may be given another chance.

;