Arsenal v AFC Bournemouth - Saturday 12.30 pm

I’m pretty sure a lot of refs have this subconscious thing which tells them if a high-profile striker from a big club falls over in the box he’s got to have been tripped, and if a high profile keeper from same club gets out-muscled by a small club striker then the striker’s bound to have fouled him too. That’s the only rational explanation for me. Either that or we really have been just so unlucky to get so many really really poor refs.
Just beat me to a similar opinion.

We were the way worse team overall,but had we got in at nil nil the pep talk at half time would have had Andoni on the up and Arteta panicking.

The penalty just before half time changed the entire complexity of the game.

The psychology of the game, and football is, for the most part, psychological got handed to Arsenal.

The problem with VAR, and all the bad decisions that seem to go with it, seem to point to the truth that those involved with VAR, the decision makers, also get involved with the psychology of the game, when they are supposed to be impartial.

The problem with VAR is those who make the decisions, most likely are heavily vested in the game, know the league table, and are swayed by it.
Yup- all true. And you’re just replicating the subconscious bias, not removing it especially with the time pressure to make a decision

Listening to Cherries Unpicked and Kris Temple mentioned that all 5 referees reviewing the key decisions thought our disallowed goal was an incorrect decision.

Yet nothing more is said about it in football circles since.
The same unanimously incorrect decision against an Arsenal and it'd still be getting spoken about 2 weeks later in the media.
So it's no surprise Refs will err on the side of reputational/PR caution

;