Arsenal v AFC Bournemouth - Saturday 12.30 pm

Just noticed as MOTD highlighted Rice’s run into the box for their 3rd that not only did Faivre give the ball away in the first place but also that Rice ran right behind him to score as he was ball watching. I know we he hasn’t had much game time yet but that’s schoolboy stuff surely?
Our defending wasn't great for the the two open-play goals.

The ref made the bad decisions in this game. As poor and infuriating as they were this is how I'd prefer football to be.
The pgmol officials on the field and assisting with var information made decisions which favoured one team.

This is unfair to fans, players and managers of the disadvantaged team and should not be accepted as just bad luck

As a part time plastic rugby watcher, seems to me they’ve fiddled with it a little much. They had something that worked but I guess the temptation is always to build on it, can’t leave anything alone. Maybe they share that with football’s authorities.

Now using it for the noble purpose of judging tackles, limiting head contact, with all the discussion around concussions and issues later in life. Perfectly understandable. But it’s brought their VAR into very subjective and contextual matters and gotten very messy.

How high was the tackler and how well does he wrap arms. how low was the runner, what’s the intent, where’s the ball, slow it all down and run it back and forth 10 times. 5 pundits between them come up with 5 different conclusions. Nobody’s really any the wiser.
Yes remember there was a lot of debate about head high tackles in the World Cup with inconsistency in the decisions made .

Just they don’t make as big thing of it really .

We were discussing their flags and banners around the stadium yesterday, and reckoned ours would look impressive with flags labelled 'Piddlehinton Reds', 'Crossways Cherries', 'Ameysford Army' and other such great places.
Like it Rob. Branksome Cherries- it’s got a nice ring about it. Or Red Hill Reds?

The pgmol officials on the field and assisting with var information made decisions which favoured one team.

This is unfair to fans, players and managers of the disadvantaged team and should not be accepted as just bad luck

it won't surprise you to know that I completely disagree with this - if a referee (and his team) makes an honest judgement on each decision alone, it may seem like he is favouring one team - but it doesn't mean he is. the opposite of this would be to try and even out decisions over the course of a game and/or season.... that would be even worse?

It would be great if there was a way of turning the players into silhouettes when VAR looking at it so that you couldn't tell which team was which and the VAR people had to make a completely unbiased decision.

It would be great if there was a way of turning the players into silhouettes when VAR looking at it so that you couldn't tell which team was which and the VAR people had to make a completely unbiased decision.

I'd imagine the technology for that exists already, if imperfectly at this point. However, I'm not sure it would help since some players would be identifiable by their shape or gait so the VAR would have a good idea who was who fairly quickly.

Or, in the case of our last match, seeing the Arsenal players desperately trying to gee up the crowd throughout would tell you who was at home.

it won't surprise you to know that I completely disagree with this - if a referee (and his team) makes an honest judgement on each decision alone, it may seem like he is favouring one team - but it doesn't mean he is. the opposite of this would be to try and even out decisions over the course of a game and/or season.... that would be even worse?
What honest judgement did the referee and var officials make on the holding and shirt pulling of billing?

The role of the officials is to apply the rules consistently without fear or favour.
Evening out decisions is applying 2 wrongs to the interpretation of the laws of the game which is twice as bad surely.

The role of the officials is to apply the rules consistently without fear or favour.
Evening out decisions is applying 2 wrongs to the interpretation of the laws of the game which is twice as bad surely.

we agree on something, at last! :love:

We were discussing their flags and banners around the stadium yesterday, and reckoned ours would look impressive with flags labelled 'Piddlehinton Reds', 'Crossways Cherries', 'Ameysford Army' and other such great places.
Just developing the idea a bit and thinking of those completely indigestible Knobb biscuits produced by Moores Biscuits out at Morecombelake- how about:

Everywhere we go
Everywhere we go
We're the Dorset yobs with our rock-hard knobbs
Everywhere we go.

Ooh hang on, that might not work

I'm guessing they completely missed it, and were just trying to decide on doms "push" on the keeper? I have no idea

There I am rubbishing The Athletic on another thread and then they go ahead and publish this:

Actual discussion of a couple of the decisions that went against us. It claims they did also review the Billing foul but, again, because the ref hadn't given it then they didn't overrule it. Yes, wrapped up in a larger VAR article, but that's fair enough. Turns out we still exist!

There I am rubbishing The Athletic on another thread and then they go ahead and publish this:

Actual discussion of a couple of the decisions that went against us. It claims they did also review the Billing foul but, again, because the ref hadn't given it then they didn't overrule it. Yes, wrapped up in a larger VAR article, but that's fair enough. Turns out we still exist!
Well they could have advised the ref there was a pull and told him to have a look?

I wonder if the VAR can hear what the players are saying to the ref and even 4th official as no doubt the Arsenal players were putting them under pressure

They seem to have got a lot of favourable decisions since Arteta had that "It's a disgrace" rant at Newcastle.

That’s a ludicrous statement. Adam Smith at Burnley? And countless others.

Just developing the idea a bit and thinking of those completely indigestible Knobb biscuits produced by Moores Biscuits out at Morecombelake- how about:

Everywhere we go
Everywhere we go
We're the Dorset yobs with our rock-hard knobbs
Everywhere we go.

Ooh hang on, that might not work
Being pedantic here........Biscuits no longer made in Morcomblake.......Bakery now in Bridport..... :thumbup:

Ref watch on SSN today there was unanimous agreement that our goal should have stood on Saturday. But Warnock and Sue Smith also praised Havertz for being clever in winning the penalty.

as we've gone down the path of completely over-complicating refereeing, and confusing the once fairly simple rules of footy, I have another (not serious) solution. everyones banging on about wanting non-biased refs, which doesn't appear to work. how about having one ref who openly supports each team in the var box, or a fan or club official, then they can put each teams case for every incident that happens....

arsenal ref/fan/club official in var box "look at that disgraceful push on the big hard keeper from that brute solanke"

bormuff ref/fan/club official in var box "yeah, but did you see that disgraceful shirt pull on phil bill, who would never dive in a million years, that was first"

there would be a third ref/AI robot in the var box that would run a court-based mini-trial and arrive at a decision taking into account each parties claims

what could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:

;