Arter & Gosling

Gosling especially, he looks completely devoid of confidence. Every touch of the ball flies off to an opposition player and he can't make a tackle stick at the moment. Funny game football. Not sure what Eddie can say after that, Dan is experienced and will know he had a mare and won't need a rollocking, but somehow he needs to raise his confidence.

To be honest think the same could be said about Pugh and Fraser although, in his defence, I thought Fraser was kicked out the game with no protection from the ref at all. He could hardly walk after the game. Do think the squad is looking thin with a very demanding December to come.,

Arter was extremely lucky he didn't make contact with a couple of wild challenges.
Gosling just looked like he cannot play in a 2 man midfield.
To be honest I thought Pugh and Fraser were pretty poor along with Mousset.
Still had enough class to comfortably win though.

I just think it's a case of Gosling being better in a midfield 5 than a 4. He can then run around with his energy and break play up and allow the other 2 in the middle to do the creative stuff. Arter on the other hand, well at the moment I'm struggling to see what he brings to the side? Other than the constant whinging at the ref of course

Tinpot Club - 25/10/2017 09:35

Arter played really well when he came on as sub at Stoke.

He did make a difference for the short spell at Stoke. However, last night he proved to me that he has reached his level. He takes so long to make a decision on where to pass the ball and he also made quite a few very bad passes last night.
I also feel like I am holding my breath waiting for him to get sent off for a bad tackle or bad mouth.

I didn't go last night so wont comment on his performance but you can't seriously state any player proves they've reached their limit in a cup game with a rotated XI against lower league opposition!?!

Harry is clearly in bad form. All players have blips in their careers. AFCB fans of all fans should know better than to write players off as "reaching their limit".

Pugh had apparently reached his limit 6 months into his first season with us. Pitman was "non league at best". Daniels has consistently improved and improved despite brief drops in form and rivals for his place. If these players can prove their doubters wrong then why can't Harry?

Tinpot if we are talking purely form then the comment about After is valid but his charges, reckless tackles, mouthing off to the refs haven't improved one bit. Every game he is a nano second away from a yellow often in the area around the centre circle whether by foot or mouth. That is a liability we cannot afford to carry.

Tinpot Club - 25/10/2017 10:25

I didn't go last night so wont comment on his performance but you can't seriously state any player proves they've reached their limit in a cup game with a rotated XI against lower league opposition!?!

Harry is clearly in bad form. All players have blips in their careers. AFCB fans of all fans should know better than to write players off as "reaching their limit".
Pugh had apparently reached his limit 6 months into his first season with us. Pitman was "non league at best". Daniels has consistently improved and improved despite brief drops in form and rivals for his place. If these players can prove their doubters wrong then why can't Harry?

Very true......i had written off Franno after last season.....seems i was completely wrong tbh......although i'm quite happy to write off Moussett as being absolutely useless.....well that is until i'm proved wrong yet again anyway.

That sliding tackleby Arter that didn't win the ball could so easily have been a yellow, the conditions were very slippery last night so think ref might have taken that into consideration.

Arter did put in some good passes as well.

Thought Arter looked a lot better in the last 15 when he could play with more confidence.
The first half display in midfield was fairly bland , bit like watching England... just recycling the ball with out taking any risk and thus no real creativity.
Best 2, most creative passes of the night , for me, were Simpson which found Arter ( I think ) in acres of space in the centre circle, and Daniels in from the left wing to feed Cally (?) who was inside left. Would like to see the midfield trying to find our strikers as it generaly seems to go to a winger .

Arter I thought played his best game this season , but saying that it's not hard as he's been well below par .
But now Lewis cook is in the team and playing well , gosling and arter will be bench players .
Gosling is full of trying but to me just not good enough .
Really want to see hyndman given a chance too !.

Fully agree with original post. Both Gosling and Arter were very poor in different ways. Gosling looks slow, devoid of confidence. Arter looks disinterested.

...Lewis Cook and Drew Surman are probably first choice at the moment anyway...think Arter has dipped in form and is playing like he is 'not really with it' at the moment. Dan Gosling is a squad player at best but still gives us something different at times. I don't agree with knocking players as individuals anymore as The PL is a tough tough place and we can't afford the quality that we all seem to crave for on here!

Just who would we sign in January who is a big step up from what we have? I can't really think of anyone?

We certainly aren't in the Sigurdsson, Wilshere or even Loftus-Cheek league when it comes to wages and transfer funds!

No we need to nurture talent and get the best out of players (like EH has done with Arter,Pugh,Francis,Daniels and Steve Cook)

For one example punt - 22 year old Ben Pearson in Preston's central midfield fits our bill of being a home grown young lad, he grafts in the engine room and can knock the ball around all day long. He's the type of player we could use, whilst obviously being unproven at this level. Preston currently over-achieving and he's central to that. Went through Man United's ranks and played all youth levels for England, before dropping down to Preston in the Champ. He'll likely end up back in the PL somewhere in the next couple of years, if he keeps up his 2017 form.

Obviously going for PL proven players is very hard for us, so we often have to look for well grounded development options such as the above. There's plenty of players such as this in the championship, some who work out and others who don't. Until we have a better more established international reach for players, we have to shop in the department we deal best in, which is buying up and improving home grown younger lads.

;