Atmosphere

It has always been silent at our home games. I recall going to the old Dean Court during the John Benson era. One would see the typical Bournemouth fan in the main stand dressed in a white polar neck sweater, Rupert the Bear bell bottomed checked trousers with Jesus sandals withe bald head (knotted hankerchief appearing at half time) with Timothy white sun cream rubbed in with a copy of the early edition of the Bournemouth under one arm and the matchday programme in the opposite hand. A silly pair of Ronnie Cobett glasses completing the rediculous ensemble. When the game kicked off one could hear the only statement uttered during the whole game i.e. Come on Bournemouth!

Last edited:
It has always been silent at our home games. I recall going to the old Dean Court during the John Benson era. One would see the typical Bournemouth fan in the main stand dressed in a white polar neck sweater, Rupert the Bear bell bottomed checked trousers with Jesus sandals withe bald head (knotted hankerchief appearing at half time) with Timothy white sun cream rubbed in with a copy of the early edition of the Bournemouth under one arm and the matchday programme in the opposite hand. A silly pair of Ronnie Cobett glasses completing the rediculous ensemble. When the game kicked off one could hear the only statement uttered during the whole game i.e. Come on Bournemouth

Just watching Lens v Arsenal... Now that is an atmosphere... The Lens fans are great. European clubs always seem to not mind having a stadium announcer lead chants after goals etc.

Are you allowed to do that in the UK...? Have a football announcer be so vocally partisan...?

Plenty of chat recently about our atmosphere and how poor it has been of late... A far cry from 'that' night v Bolton... from 15 mins before KO, DC was rocking and if I recall correctly, it was decided, on the back of feedback, that the club would not play music and sh*t before and just let the crowd build itself...

Does Mike Botto (sp) frequent this site... Can he not have a word...?

... to add, there are plenty of things the club could do to add atmosphere to DC that doesn't involve bands, montages to Rocky on the screens, and cheerleaders... They just need to understand the fans and English football...

In other PL grounds, you see banners hanging around the stands, dedicated to players or moments in time. giant flags, floated across fans (whatever happened to the 'Together anything is possible' flag?) Small things but they allow DC to become that little bit more of a 'home ground'... Get Mike to build the crowd/stands up when the players are actually just seconds from coming out... not 5 mins before... Build the crowd up, let them get louder during the teams, Play Nonny... and hopefully keep going... Simples :)

F*ck it, get a magaphone to someone if their willing to start something, anything is better than last Saturday...

Oh, and have I ever mentioned safe standing... Just lose the music and videos that are so loud you cant even talk to the dude next to you...

... to add, there are plenty of things the club could do to add atmosphere to DC that doesn't involve bands, montages to Rocky on the screens, and cheerleaders... They just need to understand the fans and English football...

In other PL grounds, you see banners hanging around the stands, dedicated to players or moments in time. giant flags, floated across fans (whatever happened to the 'Together anything is possible' flag?) Small things but they allow DC to become that little bit more of a 'home ground'... Get Mike to build the crowd/stands up when the players are actually just seconds from coming out... not 5 mins before... Build the crowd up, let them get louder during the teams, Play Nonny... and hopefully keep going... Simples :)

F*ck it, get a magaphone to someone if their willing to start something, anything is better than last Saturday...

Oh, and have I ever mentioned safe standing... Just lose the music and videos that are so loud you cant even talk to the dude next to you...
This 100%.

I actually really like the pre match video montage of our goals. KT screaming ' Moore, Moore, Moore ' actually gives me goosebumps. I don't like the Stallone bit , how hard you punch etc. But that's the things with the Yanks. Everything loud and OTT. In fact it wouldn't surprise me that whilst walking around Jim Frevola asked why we have named the outside bar after a Steve McQueen movie and when told the actual reason why , in good old yank fashion, he had to overkill it and turn it into a pre match flop. I love seeing our goals of yesteryear with a bit of punchy music. That's what gee me up before a game not a trumpet.

It’s like a sponsored silence event. By far the worse and quietest in the league.
For a small stadium so close to the pitch it has to be a better atmosphere .

It has always been silent at our home games. I recall going to the old Dean Court during the John Benson era. One would see the typical Bournemouth fan in the main stand dressed in a white polar neck sweater, Rupert the Bear bell bottomed checked trousers with Jesus sandals withe bald head (knotted hankerchief appearing at half time) with Timothy white sun cream rubbed in with a copy of the early edition of the Bournemouth under one arm and the matchday programme in the opposite hand. A silly pair of Ronnie Cobett glasses completing the rediculous ensemble. When the game kicked off one could hear the only statement uttered during the whole game i.e. Come on Bournemouth!
That must of been the one and only game you went to !

It’s like a sponsored silence event. By far the worse and quietest in the league.
For a small stadium so close to the pitch it has to be a better atmosphere .
... and it used to be so much better... The thing is, we know DC and the fans can make some noise, I think we've just become lethargic and entitled now... Can't be bothered... We are reactive (at best) instead of proactive... We have too many fans that care more about sitting down and moaning, than being 'bothered' to stand up, clap, sing, whatever, and just support... If the players don't put on much a show then why should we... and whilst I get that you need 'something' from the team on the field, it works both ways...

We need to be better, but I reckon it's just gonna get worse...

Last edited:
People are seated where a seat is available instead of where they want. Therefore quiet folk and noisy folk are mixed together. With no clumps of noisy folks chants don't really start and never have the chance to snowball to getting the whole ground involved.

Leading up to around 2015-ish there was an established geography and people accumulated in the areas that made the most sense for them. Since then over time each group has been fragmented. The Ted Shed got going before eventually falling to it as well.

We won't recapture the atmospheres of a decade ago without empty seats in the ground.

;