AWAY DAY TALES

Winsor Cherry

Star Player
I've started this thread for anyone who wants to share their experiences of following the Cherries away. We posted one under Good London Pubs for the Arsenal trip but thought a specific thread might be of interest. Tomorrow I will provide a report on our trip to Chelsea.

As promised here is our report for the trip to Chelsea that for us at one stage was actually in doubt. Full of excitement after a cracking win against Man Utd with the magnificent Cherries the dizzy heights of 7th in the Premier League we excitedly booked up our Chelsea trip i.e. the Hotel combined with Match & Train tickets. The reason we considered calling it off was due to the fact that several factors threw our plans into disarray. Firstly good old South Western Trains went on strike and cancelled our scheduled train then all over the news was the 5Ft Narwhal Tusk and Fire extinguisher terrorist incident, followed by, just a week before our trip our hotel at Kew Bridge needed 100 firefighters to dowse it down so we were relocated to Battersea. We began to think it was an omen and perhaps we shouldn’t be making this trip after all, it also happened to be on Friday 13th . With all this in mind and Bournemouth sadly on a very poor run of form along with awful injury problems it certainly didn’t bode too well for our trip to The Bridge.

We left Winsor Friday lunchtime with small rucksacks on our backs and headed to Totton where we had a hearty breakfast. We then caught the Train joining up with “The Ostrich” (Northstand Pundit) who was already on board. It was an uneventful train journey however we put the time to good use by planning what routes we would take later on. Originally we were going to do The Bermondsey Beer Mile again but we decided having already completed it twice this year we would take advantage of being relocated and ascertain what Battersea had to offer in the way of pubs and ales. We got off at Clapham and made the short walk to the Hotel where we dumped our bags.

First pub The Anchor (Opposite the hotel) a lovely pub with a lot of character it perhaps needed a little bit of TLC and it certainly needed to reintroduce some cask ales. We then made our way to Sambrook’s Brewery, we arrived early but we were welcomed in because they thought we were part of an organised brewery tour. They were very happy to serve us even when they realised that we weren’t. Several good beers sampled and then we moved on to a couple of other local pubs that were more than adequate one of them spoiling us with Beavertown Neck Oil. We made our way in the dark across Battersea Park to Battersea Brewery in the arches near the old power station. Things were certainly getting a bit hazy at this stage but we certainly enjoyed several good beers and a nice atmosphere. We then arranged for an Uber as walking might well have been a little problematic.

Saturday started slowly making our way into central London for Breakfast in Wetherspoons Whitehall and we were pleasantly surprised they were serving the outstanding Titanic's Plum Porter, a couple of these beauties took the edge off the hangovers. From here we made our way to Chandon Place, The Harp and as we felt quite delicate we positioned ourselves upstairs in the snug for a couple of fruity pales. We were then met by another mate & his daughter (a Chelsea fan). All was quiet until the new arrival upended the table and pints went in all directions. One of our party took the brunt of the beer tsunami but this fella when staying overnight always brings a spare pair of jeans for such occurrences however this is the first time that they have needed to be employed.

From the Harp just a tube ride to Fulham Broadway and we arrived at the ground with just 5mins to spare. Considering we left home some 27 hours previously it was pretty poor time management. Whilst on the Tube we discussed the team Eddie had selected and knowing the form we were in combined with the injuries we have suffered we genuinely believed we were unlikely to get anything out of the game. As much as we love our football sadly too often it as the football that lets the weekend down. I think we all just hoped for a good performance along with all the team being prepared to put in a good professional shift. My word we were spoilt, we witnessed a magnificent battling performance & an outstanding deserved victory. (We will leave the Match Report to others) Feeling rather hoarse but incredibly happy we made our way out of the stadium singing VAR ma Lord VAR……

A happy tube ride to Embankment for a walk through the festive throng making our way to China Town for an eat as much as you can buffet. Now full & happy we made our way towards Waterloo only hampered by a massive crowd watching a parade of Santa’s on unicycles! We just had time for one last pint in the Waterloo Tap before making the joyous journey home on a very busy noisy train whilst re living key parts of the match again & again by viewing social media and Sky Go on our phones. What a wonderful weekend.

Thanks for listening :utc:

Set out from Hedge End to Rownhams at 10. Good to see a few Cherries making an early stop.

Picked up by the excellent Dorset Transport Services and a good trip to Stamford Bridge where after some negotiations with the stewards the two accessible minibuses were allowed to dop off outside Stamford Gate.

Was hoping to see my brother who had picked up the coach at Dorchester but he had already gone inside the ground. Phoned my nephew and he came and picked up two tickets.

Went into the ground. We won!

Straight back to Rownhams after the game and home by half seven.

Not much of a report, but thats how it went for me.

Dean Court to Imperial Road Chelsea coach stop no problem. Advised that the coaches would be outside of the ground post match. Memories came flooding back.

Post match no coaches outside of the ground, memories became reality, made our way to Imperial Road and eventually back to Dean Court.

Thank you Met Police for consistency. Thank you Chelsea for declining to make an announcement.

Sincere thanks to Bluebird Coaches and our stewards for waiting for everybody to find their way back. Plus the team for a fantastic team performance and 3 points from Chelsea again.

Good pub selection. I really like Sambrooks, lovely people there.

Small pedant point, Clapham junction is not in Clapham; you were very much in Battersea.

We got the 9-20 train from Bmth into Waterloo 11-20 a couple of beers in the Hole In The Wall then off to The Courtfield at Earls Court for a few more watched most of the Liverpool game.

After a swift journey back to Waterloo a couple more in The Hole In The Wall the 7 o'clock train back indoors by about half 9 a quick bath and MOTD still with a grin on my face.

Cant live with Winsor, sounds epic We motored to Sussex, took a Southern Train in to Clapham Junction and a few beers at The Falcon. Onto Imperial Wharf and some more in the Rose. After the game back to the Falcon before hitting platform 9 3/4 to some obscure Sussex town, plenty more beer, a Thai , some dodgy hotel and arrived home today.

Interesting and very enjoyable w/end.
Drove to Sunbury friday afternoon. Of course the plan had been to use the train to get in and out of London but since booking the hotel South West Rail decided to scrap ALL services on the Sunbury line. Anyway bus to Feltham instead and train into Waterloo late friday afternoon to view xmas lights in Covent Garden, Oxford St and Regent St. Walk back to Waterloo via Westminster and past Downing St giving me the opportunity to laugh out very loudly at the "not my Prime Minister" protest ! Not at all planned but an enjoyable side show. Train back to Twickenham to one of my favourite pubs The Sussex Arms for a few pints before bus back to Sunbury.
Saturday - bus to Feltham, train to Putney for a Wetherspoons breakfast at the Rocket on the embankment. Then walk over Putney bridge to The Kings Arms (wadworths) and then the Durrell Arms in Fulham High Rd for some good ale. Watched Charlie Austins late sub and 2 goals for WBA against Brum (that bloke still knows where the net is) in the Durrell Arms. 20 min walk to ground and the sheer joy for 2 hours. Unfortunately the wife suffered a calf injury celebrating the goal when some over enthusiastic bloke (not me) fell off the seat he was standing on and somehow the seat ripped into her leg. The bruising is pretty impressive but she will probably pass a late fitness test for the Burnley game!
Back to Putney post game then train to Kew Bridge and a fantastic steak and kidney pie and some great beer at the Express tavern. Mingled with a mob of Brentford fans celebrating their local derby win over Fulham. Now I am not wishing relegation on us but I would have no problem playing Brentford next season and revisiting that pub - perhaps Brentford could continue their good run and get promoted?
Train and bus back to Sunbury just in time to get soaked by a massive rain/hail deluge and dried out watching MOTD.
Woke with sore head but very happy. Easy drive back and picked the dog up from the kennels about 11.30. Shane the Arsenal supporting kennel bloke congratulated us on beating the "Chelsea scum" and then reckoned City would wallop his lot that afternoon - he was right !!!
Another top trip with the Cherries.:utc::cheers::thumbup:

Today I went to Studland beach with the dog and my nephew and his dog. The dogs went mental for a couple of hours and on the way back to Wimborne I listened to Solent and got depressed. My nephew smiled but was nervous as he is a West Ham supporter. A few hours later he was depressed too. He is staying at my house and we are all drinking red wine while he plays backgammon with my wife. He is even more depressed as although he is winning at backgammon he has just had a text from an inside contact at WHU that Moyes is the next manager. The moral of this story is that however **************** a day you may have someone else is having a shittier one than you. The wine is good though.

Today I went to my lounge to watch the Afcb game. With 20min left my teenage son announced "this is **************** I'm going out"
First time ever he hasn't watched an entire Afcb game that's on the telly.

suffering from man-flu. my son bought his playstation round, we watched it on his sky subscription via that. we both swore, groaned & shouted for a couple of hours. was v glad I wasnt at brighton. then took the dogs to canford cliffs beach - which was bloody lovely - best bit of the day by far. woof! spent this evening planning pubs etc for west ham, which I've optimistically booked a nite away for......

;