Back to square one ....

docmandu

Star Player
Only found out the other day this phrase comes from the early days of football in the 1920's when a square grid was superimposed on the tv monitor to make it easier for radio commentators to describe play to listeners. The first radio commentary on a football match was broadcast by the BBC on 22nd January 1927. To help listeners visualise the pitch and where the players and ball were, the producer, Lance Sieveking, worked out a scheme of dividing the pitch into eight numbered squares and had a diagram published in the BBC’s listings guide, Radio Times. The commentator could then say the ball was currently in square five, or square three, or whatever. Square one was to one side of one of the goals.
Going back to “square one” was the ball going back to the goalkeeper.

Another possible but less interesting version is slipping down a ladder to square one on a snakes and ladders board.

Love the derivation of phrases and although know some medical and nautical ones didn’t know of many football ones.

A medical one for example “Blowing smoke up someone’s @rse” is a fascinating one.
It’s actually a resuscitation phrase. Nothing to do with flattering someone .... more to do with keeping their "ticker" going. Before the days of CPR a pipe was used to blow smoke up someone’s derrière so that the nicotine in the smoke could be absorbed through the colonic mucosa and cause an increase in heart rate via the nicotinic receptors in the myocardium.
It was often used for drownings many years ago and the Thames actually had pipes displayed along the banks for this purpose, much like modern day life vests / preserver.

God help you if you were a smoker but couldn’t find a pipe .... I would make the victim not for resuscitation in that instance and avoid the embarrassment.

Any other phrase derivations that I haven’t heard gratefully received and if you like this sort of stuff read Mark Forsyth's books .... they're fascinating.

Last edited:
I'd love it if the radio went back to the squares thing.

tbh the commentator and summariser get so carried away describing play that they often forget to tell you where the bloody ball actually is.

What's the origin of the phrase 'Moving the goalposts'?

This phrase is a straightforward derivation from sports that use goalposts, that is, Football, Rugby Football, American Football etc. The figurative use alludes to the perceived unfairness in changing the goal one is trying to achieve after the process one is engaged in has already started.

The phrase came into wide use in the UK during the 1980s. The first citation I can find of it, although I'm sure there must be earlier ones, is a report of a meeting of finance ministers, in the Jamaican newspaper The Gleaner, September 1987:

"I see no reason to move the goalposts at all." said British Chancellor of the Exchequer (finance minister) Nigel Lawson.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/251400.html

Thanks for that Doc - you learn something new every day! But I still think a blackboard is more likely than a TV monitor:)

The caption to this photo reads "Patients at Moorfields Eye Hospital London listen to a radio broadcast of England v Scotland (in 1932) The blackboard shows a grid devised by the BBC that helps listeners fix the position of the ball during play. It gave rise to the expression "back to square one""
1578060084051.png

Thanks for that Doc - you learn something new every day! But I still think a blackboard is more likely than a TV monitor:)

The caption to this photo reads "Patients at Moorfields Eye Hospital London listen to a radio broadcast of England v Scotland (in 1932) The blackboard shows a grid devised by the BBC that helps listeners fix the position of the ball during play. It gave rise to the expression "back to square one""
View attachment 2639

with how we are playing numbers 1 and 2 will be all thats needed

View attachment 2639

Sorry, that caption makes no sense.

An eye hospital?

Can't they just listen to the radio then?

The bloke with the board would be fine if they were deaf, but the poor buggers appear to have bandages round their eyes.

He's also bandaged, so how can he see the board and use his pointer anyway?

The past is a very strange place.

I'm baffled, but at least that picture has prompted me to look out my plus fours and thick woolly socks again for tomorrows game.

An eye hospital?

The bloke with the board would be fine if they were deaf, but the poor buggers appear to have bandages round their eyes.

I'm baffled, but at least that picture has prompted me to look out my plus fours and thick woolly socks again for tomorrows game.

blindfold might be a good idea for tomorrows game to

An eye hospital?

The past is a very strange place but the present of 2020 seems to be getting more weird with each day!

View attachment 2639
Fascinating behind the scenes insight into Eddie's tactical instructions, given to the fittest members of the AFCB squad.

1578062004579.png

I thought women didn't get the legal right to watch or listen to football until 1964?
Come on KBG - it took me ages to dig out that photo - I can't waste any more time finding one of a crowd of women spectators although I did find one of a lady kicking off a Charity Match and this one of a Pompey fan in 1934:)
1578062302981.png

;