Being a Bournemouth surporter

oldcherrygit

Trialist
I have been a cherries supporter for over 60 years with my friends and over the years I have seen some great games.
Saw the great FA cup run and later Ted mcdougal's goals ,been to some great matches and as I grow older and my friends grew older we still went to all the games we could home and away had concrete checked at us at Swindon, stood in the snow at Dartford drove up to Bath to see us play bristol rovers on Boxing day to find every pub closed .
Back in the 1960s had players teach sports at school but as we all became older we still followed the cherries and paid for match ball, player and match sponsorship when the club could find nobody else bought share which we all knew where worthless but still supported the cherries
.Yet as soon as the team where promoted not one of us saw one match live at Dean court but now all of us older and not that fit we follow our home team and will till we snuff it although a few have .
The passion seems to have gone out of the game for playing for the club remember the Millwall game in the cup head leg arm and back injuries but the team throw everything at that game.
.Now Days it all about tactics and rotation in the past we could barely put a team out but still survived
.Eddie is one of the if not the best manager we have had it is some of the players who have let him down
Here's hoping we manage to survive, but if not clear out and start again..After all we have nothing to show from five years in the Pl we just the same as when we we survived from going out of the league no ground to call ours no training base just a lot of rich agents and players.
Although we do have four sides now to the ground

Last edited:
Logically if you have 6 relegations and 6 promtions you are back whete you started. So you started watching at level 2?
My mistake, this season will be my 6th relegation with 7 promotions. Dementia setting in. First started in 1966 in old Div 3.

had concrete checked at us at Swindon

Yep, good day that

tenor.gif

Yep, good day that

tenor.gif
Not for me... I was in the Swindon end having rocks thrown at me by Bournemouth fans. My dad refused to queue for the away end as we were late and were told by a steward we would miss first 30 mins. ‘I’m not driving all this way etc etc’ Swindon end it was. I wasn’t happy! Great days though. More important than what league you are in is the buzz for me.

Not for me... I was in the Swindon end having rocks thrown at me by Bournemouth fans. My dad refused to queue for the away end as we were late and were told by a steward we would miss first 30 mins. ‘I’m not driving all this way etc etc’ Swindon end it was. I wasn’t happy! Great days though. More important than what league you are in is the buzz for me.

I admit to forseeing the future, and aiming a few your way

My point I was trying to make we are no further forward we have had Pl but what have we achieved a new stand ,still do not own the ground .
Yet over the last 60 years I along with with lots of other life long fans could only dream of the heights we have had and still may have if luck goes in our favour .
But if we go do go down I still support the cherries till I die .
But what of all the young fans, what has the last five given them ,a few managed to see a game but most not .
When I was young I could just turn up and watch the football, I know capacity rules have changed ,but what chance do they have as they are the future of the club.
We are lucky to live in one of the best areas of the country with one of the biggest catchment areas of most clubs have we missed out.

Wash it down with a nice IPA in my afcb glass
UTCIAD

Attachments

• 83D5A683-7BBF-436D-8E03-275ACD5DCD5A.jpeg
    83D5A683-7BBF-436D-8E03-275ACD5DCD5A.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1

This was the infamous occasion when Fritter cheerfully admitted to making a detour on the way to the railway station rather than go to the aid of his fellow supporters who were being attacked. In another era he would have been shot for cowardice.

I wish we had invested in the ground and facilities etc but I think we always thought we were Possibly going to be relegated every year So were to scared to invest that much shame though. The population of Dorset could support a 30k every week easy.

;