Bill Foley

It seems to me that the failure to employ AIs assistant is a big factor. With someone to rely on who knows his routines and requirements he can delegate various training drills without having to explain what he needs from them, knowing that he will get what he wants from it. Without that someone used to working with him and in tune with him, AI is having to train our coaches as well as the players to get things going in the way that he wants.

It seems to me that the failure to employ AIs assistant is a big factor. With someone to rely on who knows his routines and requirements he can delegate various training drills without having to explain what he needs from them, knowing that he will get what he wants from it. Without that someone used to working with him and in tune with him, AI is having to train our coaches as well as the players to get things going in the way that he wants.
Have we failed to employ him, or have we been stalled in our attempts to do so?

Very drole. If Brian had said it people would have asked for a ban. One man’s terrorist etc

You’re either a person that thinks it’s acceptable to derogatively brand Spanish people as waiters or you’re not.

Happy to be in the camp I’m in,

O’Neil could have shook things up for the final four games but he didn’t. It was bloody awful to watch at a time when the pressure was off.

I wouldn’t have had a problem if he had stayed but I’m happy we’ve got Andoni. Give him a season as we did with his predecessor,not write him off early.
They stuck with GON in January and feel they should do so with AI now - maybe will need a tailored list of January transfer targets that AI wants and time to get some pressure on to get his assistant over.

Indeed. I think we both know, he's unlikely to be afforded that 'luxury'. One of things I really don't like about the modern game is the culture of managers frequently losing heir job within months. Amped up by sky, talks port, media in general frequently going on about 'sack race'/odds of next manager to go, whipping up large sections of football fans into a frenzy, compounding tge pressure.

As another posted rightly pointed out elsewhere @afcdibby ? Its only the ladt 2 games there's been a noticeable uplift in substantial doubts around AI.

When I break down tge fixtures, including arsenal (due to their quality and low expectations regardless of when we met) the only very disappointing display was v Everton.

It's not necessarily a case of me declaring the first 8 or so games as unwinnable, free hits, but tge odds, probability of gaining many more points was always low. Just take a look at tge odds (probability...) on betfair to get insight. If the fixture list was more balanced, none of those results would have caused concern (except for tge last one... but if in isolation around other more 'normal' fixtures, wouldn't have worried people so much... imo).

So that's one concerning performance, which most teams deliver several of over the course of 38 games... particularly at our level v competition.

Trajectory, momentum of course important, but it feels like pressure is mounting, which won't help anyone. He's displayed he has tge ingredients of being an excellent manager. I'd hate to see us cut him adrift, and miss out as he goes on to potentially have a superb career. On the other hand, we're not close enough to see him in action, so he may be doing things that are red flags, indicating out of depth... or struggling to adapt to English game. Hopefully, and I suspect, that's unlikely though

Will be interesting to know what sort of character he is, how he deals with pressure and potentially self doubt creeping in. Will it 'goad' him to abandoning his ideals/more flamboyant style he's perhaps trying to implement for something more pragmatic, or will he somewhat panic and start changing a load of variables, maybe hoping something will click/stick. That's a key thing of determining good managers. Not afraid to frequently question how they're doing things and make changes from initial plan, but only if it's considered, measured... rather than because feel they're struggling, out of depth and need to change something. Or have solid belief what tgey are doing is correct and it will click soon, and just need to keep doing what they're doing.

Like I say that's where managers earn their money, how they deal with 'ailure', when things not producing results and dealing with pressure, their own minds and how it influences key/important decisions. Have to be pretty stoic imo, to not allow any 'noise' to impare your judgment, even when everyone else is starting to question things, lose faith etc.

Guess we'll find out soon. I coukd be wrong buy I sense Foley and associates, plus investors may be cut throat and have no issues cutting him loss if they lose faith and worry about protecting their investment. They may have a more patient, 'reasonable' ethos/outlook... but thst woukd make them pretty unusual in the modern game.
Great post.

I'd add Everton's xG difference would have them in their traditional 7th spot even though ultimately their results have been generally poor.
There's a good chance that we'll look back on the result in hindsight very differently if their league position starts to match their underlying numbers.

The other thing about Foley's "ruthlessness". I don't think a Chelsea/Watford style of manager replacement is really a sign of great oversight and I think you'd be underestimating BIll if you think a losing streak means the sack. He's come out saying it would be 'bad luck' if we end up underperforming which is taking a lot of heat of AI and I'd hope he would make decisions on more than just the last handful of results.

Great post.

I'd add Everton's xG difference would have them in their traditional 7th spot even though ultimately their results have been generally poor.
There's a good chance that we'll look back on the result in hindsight very differently if their league position starts to match their underlying numbers.

The other thing about Foley's "ruthlessness". I don't think a Chelsea/Watford style of manager replacement is really a sign of great oversight and I think you'd be underestimating BIll if you think a losing streak means the sack. He's come out saying it would be 'bad luck' if we end up underperforming which is taking a lot of heat of AI and I'd hope he would make decisions on more than just the last handful of results.

Yes, even last season I felt Everton shouldn't have been near relegation... if looking at their squad.

They were obviously not playing well though, but I think that was more down to the slightly odd, toxic environment at the club, rather than having a relegation standard team.

Same goes for this season. If tge manager (who i don't particularly like tbh, and wouldn't want him here unless an emergency situation, but he's decent at what he does) and they've worked on eradicating the less than ideal behind the scenes negativity, it wouldn't be of any surprise imo, to see them finish in tge top half.

They're certainly not immune to going down, but with decent management, no weird atmosphere caused by boardroom ownership stuff, they'd be comfortbly fine imo.

Yes, even last season I felt Everton shouldn't have been near relegation... if looking at their squad.

They were obviously not playing well though, but I think that was more down to the slightly odd, toxic environment at the club, rather than having a relegation standard team.

Same goes for this season. If tge manager (who i don't particularly like tbh, and wouldn't want him here unless an emergency situation, but he's decent at what he does) and they've worked on eradicating the less than ideal behind the scenes negativity, it wouldn't be of any surprise imo, to see them finish in tge top half.

They're certainly not immune to going down, but with decent management, no weird atmosphere caused by boardroom ownership stuff, they'd be comfortbly fine imo.

Not only do they have a good squad, barring some kind of model blind spot they're actually performing far better than their results would suggest by most metrics.

Everton are crap and we should have relegated them last season but as ever we didn't have the balls.

Yeah. Fans were getting more and more edgy after their initial pressure didn't lead to a goal. Tgey were very nearly on tge ropes v us and appeared to be running out of ideas and perhaps realisation of their situation creeping in causing anxiety /panic amongst fans/players.

Long range shot wasn't it and iirc a nice little gift wrapped individual error too to help them out?

At least Ken Gardiner's burning jag kept me warm briefly, and I think Eddie Mitchell and Abdul Jaffer made me laugh once. I'm sorry to say it but I'm starting to think that Bill is just a Tony Swaisland with deeper pockets. How much longer do I give things?

At least Ken Gardiner's burning jag kept me warm briefly, and I think Eddie Mitchell and Abdul Jaffer made me laugh once. I'm sorry to say it but I'm starting to think that Bill is just a Tony Swaisland with deeper pockets. How much longer do I give things?
Before what?

Before we start throwing cushions at the tunnel….

Those were the days…

No social media to vent but the chance to frisbee a cushion from the main stand at the right back that stood on the ball and lost it for Rochdales last minute winner.
Cushions? In the main stand? Where can I get one- please!? Watching many more games like yesterday on my piece of plastic will likely bring on the hemorrhoids I thought we gone for good.

Before we start throwing cushions at the tunnel….

Those were the days…

No social media to vent but the chance to frisbee a cushion from the main stand at the right back that stood on the ball and lost it for Rochdales last minute winner.

Did other clubs offer cushions for hire for about 10p or were we unique in that respect?

Did other clubs offer cushions for hire for about 10p or were we unique in that respect?
To be honest I never sat in the main stand at DC let alone any other grounds.

I don’t remember seeing them flying on anywhere other than ours.

I remember Southampton fans waving white hankies when we knocked them out the cup. That was sweet!

;