Bill Foley

Another interesting interview with M M.

I like his advice come the January transfer window, ignore 95% of rumours.

The way he was talking and my interpretation of who the club will try and sign is younger players from maybe lower league clubs and then improve them.

Will we be sniffing around the Blackburn striker BB again? Only 23-years-old so comes in that category and we signed his old club mate as well.

West Ham linked with him, plus others.

Interesting January ahead.
Oh well that makes life easier. Can you tell me then, which 5% of the rumours I should be taking note of please? :unsure: :grinning:

Catching up here but basically investment in everything down to feeder clubs overseas?? So to anyone that's ever played Football Manager, Bill Foley and co. are basically supplying our wet dream?

Have to say, despite it being Infrastructure Hove Albion, that Mac Allister looked bloody good business on their part.

And Cucurella and Bissouma. They've got a pretty good scouting team because the Ecuadorian Caciedo was on the big clubs radar before the World Cup.

Catching up here but basically investment in everything down to feeder clubs overseas?? So to anyone that's ever played Football Manager, Bill Foley and co. are basically supplying our wet dream?

Exactly, my mate and I are licking our lips and w4nking ourselves silly over this proposed arrangement.

Can imagine some may be a bit uncertain, but as mentioned before, we'll be the main club, getting the best players out of this kind of arrangement and I thibk its one of the best, maybe only way, in the modern game of seriously levelling up beyond the clubs true/historic level, stature.

Vegas Bill lookey likey in Southbourne Coffee#1 this morning. Walked past slowly to maybe catch him talking but sadly my timing was poor

The Lorient fans don't seem massively enthused at the prospect of being behind us in a club network. Can't say I blame them.

https://www.fclorient.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21673

Other than ego I've never understood the issues with not being the top club in a multi-club setup.

For the "top" team you get a talent pipeline and for the "feeder" you get decent loanees with a view to make you more competitive. Shared ownership will make the deal as mutually beneficial as possible.

In League One we had an arrangement with Reading for a few players which really helped out the side. That kind of thing without the "play or pay" clause should be welcome at all bar the very top clubs globally.

In League One we had an arrangement with Reading for a few players which really helped out the side. That kind of thing without the "play or pay" clause should be welcome at all bar the very top clubs globally.

Wish I could remember the exact quote from Mostyn at a fans forum. Something along the lines of would you rather we pay the bills and HMRC or get the lads from Reading on loan…

Other than ego I've never understood the issues with not being the top club in a multi-club setup.

For the "top" team you get a talent pipeline and for the "feeder" you get decent loanees with a view to make you more competitive. Shared ownership will make the deal as mutually beneficial as possible.

Disagree, I don't like the idea of a pyramid of clubs at all. I recall the informal arrangement we seemed to have with Reading at that time and I hated it, felt it was really demeaning to us at the time. There should be strong rules that prevent that type of arrangement between clubs in this country at the very least.
clubs start to lose their identity.

Disagree, I don't like the idea of a pyramid of clubs at all. I recall the informal arrangement we seemed to have with Reading at that time and I hated it, felt it was really demeaning to us at the time. There should be strong rules that prevent that type of arrangement between clubs in this country at the very least.
clubs start to lose their identity.
Agree with you, how would we feel if we were purchased to be a lower club in a multi club chain? Knowing that any half decent player would likely depart to the parent club for a cut price fee. It’s easy for us to be more comfortable with this as the club being touted to be top of the chain, but beyond our own interests as a club, is this kind of thing really good for the game? It shouldn’t be allowed imo. You own one club and that’s it.

Rambling thoughts on this whole multi club thing and who sits where in the pecking order -

I get where DJ comes from when he says it seems to be the direction football is going in and he'd rather we were onboard in some way, rather than left behind.

I guess being a bit old fashioned in my football preferences, I'm not thrilled at the idea of such a structure being formalised through ownership, with players and cash being moved around squads and balance sheets like pieces in a board game.

Watford and Udinese springs to mind. I worry it opens the game up to all sorts of shady deals. I have little doubt there would be plenty of interesting practices in that Pozzo structure if the authorities cared to look closely enough. The Man City or Red Bull web of clubs are other interesting if slightly different examples.

Back to AFCB. There have been periods of time where we acted an an unofficial feeder / junior club in blooding several youngsters over a few years for one club or another. At those times it benefited us and ultimately the loaning club as well. That kind of arrangement I have no problem with.

I'm a big fan of the loan system and would far prefer that was better utilised instead of all these 'B' club proposals that pop up every year or two.

By all means build bridges between clubs and make those links public (because transparency is good). If Foley wants to buy himself a French club as well then fine, that's up to him. And in that situation inevitably we'd build links.

Loans yes. The odd transfer fine. I could imagine a coaching staff and youth player exchange with a French club would be a great learning opportunity for all parties involved.

I would just prefer these links be kept more informal with the clubs continuing as independent entities who happen to share a director or two.

Interesting times if this goes through though, hey!

Last edited:
No idea if its true but someone told me there had been a big clampdown on complimentary tickets for friends and family of staff and players.
I've heard something similar. It does seem that Bill has got a good axe to grind regarding the right people getting seats to matches.

Rambling thoughts on this whole multi club thing and who sits where in the pecking order -

I get where DJ comes from when he says it seems to be the direction football is going in and he'd rather we were onboard in some way, rather than left behind.

I guess being a bit old fashioned in my football preferences, I'm not thrilled at the idea of such a structure being formalised through ownership, with players and cash being moved around squads and balance sheets like pieces in a board game.

Watford and Udinese springs to mind. I worry it opens the game up to all sorts of shady deals. I have little doubt there would be plenty of interesting practices in that Pozzo structure if the authorities cared to look closely enough. The Man City or Red Bull web of clubs are other interesting if slightly different examples.

Back to AFCB. There have been periods of time where we acted an an unofficial feeder / junior club in blooding several youngsters over a few years for one club or another. At those times it benefited us and ultimately the loaning club as well. That kind of arrangement I have no problem with.

I'm a big fan of the loan system and would far prefer that was better utilised instead of all these 'B' club proposals that pop up every year or two.

By all means build bridges between clubs and make those links public (because transparency is good). If Foley wants to buy himself a French club as well then fine, that's up to him. And in that situation inevitably we'd build links.

Loans yes. The odd transfer fine. I could imagine a coaching staff and youth player exchange with a French club would be a great learning opportunity for all parties involved.

I would just prefer these links be kept more informal with the clubs continuing as independent entities who happen to share a director or two.

Interesting times if this goes through though, hey!

I do agree with all of the above.

It's a bit like me now posting on the VAR thread in support of the newer robot linesman thing for offside decisions, its quicker than the current drawing-a-line system and in theory, has the ability to be much more instant... so I think it's better than the current system...

In an ideal world though I'd still be scrapping VAR altogether and putting the responsibility back square on the shoulders of the lino.

This project will be either a Glorious Revolution for the club - we end up with a Bigger Stadium, someone decides to finish that there 'training ground' and to be on a rivalry level with the big clubs..or it degenerates into a Pantomime like farce and yer man scarpers after a couple of seasons.. ....I'm not betting either way but we saw what Maxim Denim did and we left the poor old Swindons and Bristol Rovers'es..to fend off the foraging Cheltenham Towns'es and Forest Greenery...and not having to worry about Plymouth Argyle, Exeter, Yeovil and Torquay ...or the skunks from that Kentish Dockside Hovel polluting our existence...and of course the crunchyness of Biscuit varieties is all you can hear from up the road in Berkshire....
....so .. Optimism is the flavour for now !

Unless I have missed it, has the Belgium club been named before re Bill Foley’s interest?

Het Nieuwsblad and La Derniere Heure are reporting that Bournemouth owner Bill Foley is interested in acquiring Sporting Charleroi, who are looking for new investors. Mehdi Bayat is the current majority shareholder at the club, however the side have been looking for investment for a while. Fans have also grown tired of Bayat, with many of the recent protests targeting him and his ownership.

https://getfootballnewsbene.com/cha...-owner-bill-foley-is-interested-in-acquiring/

;