Bill Foley

Tee hee chortle chortle - that’s about the worst attempt at a wind up since the one armed guy bought a cuckoo clock. Actually you could be the cuckoo !
Good humour BFC1... I like it.

But ....Not sure that particular post of mine your referring to was intended as a wind - up as such...it was just reflecting on what might happen...
...although I do the odd wind -up it's getting less and less fun to do them because it's too easy...most times it happens without really trying...due to the snowflake nature of many Forum contributors and online in general.

US sports don't tend to have any away fan culture, to my knowledge? Would encourage Bill to get up to Brentford next week if he's available.
There is, Mark, but it is based on regional rivalries and the occasional oddity. As an example, when the Toronto Blue Jays visit the Seattle Mariners (about 2500 mi. between the two), the Blue Jays get a huge following because Canadian fans come down from British Columbia. It has become such a "thing" that the Seattle fan shop was stocking Blue Jays merch until a couple of Mariners players complained.

In the NFL, the historical rivals - Pittsburgh/Baltimore, Green Bay/Minnesota etc. attract huge away crowds.

In the NHL, "original 6" teams still have great rivalries and travelling fans, and of course Calgary-Edmonton.

Two things:

1) as I have mentioned before, everyone is commingled, so it is typical to see a Blue Jays jersey sitting next to a Yankees jersey. In fact, often husband/wife or pals.

2) there is hardly ever a restriction to ticket purchases. Go on stubhub, get what you like, sit where your tickets are.

While I can somewhat see what Strasbourg fans are saying and what some Lorient fans said last season, their is also the other argument that they are getting players they would never have been able to get and being more successful than they will ever be because of the players that will now head their way.

I can see at least Strasbourg making Europe this year and if had not gotten bought probably at the bottom of the table, Hate Boehly and anything associated with Chelsea mind, just saying in the long run it will benefit them.

Here's the Foley interview on BT Sport before the match today:

he also had a dig at our fans not being as passionate as the Vegas Knights lot. Hmm.

Yes, definitely a little dig there. Personally I think that’s more down to the cultural differences.

It’s not just afcb but every club, heck almost every sport, there’s just a lot of moaning about everything and anything and with afcb and many clubs in England, the orchestrated razzmatazz that works in USA just isn’t going to work here. Too many people will push back if they think they’re being told how their support should be.

Here's the Foley interview on BT Sport before the match today:

A few things. He says pretty clearly two or three years for the new stadium which is a really positive statement of intent from someone who has delivered on what he has said so far. At the same time, if I caught it correctly, he also had a dig at our fans not being as passionate as the Vegas Knights lot. Hmm.

Also said that the plan had been to keep GON but they changed course when AI became available.

I didn't see it as a dig at our fans. More just the reality of the differences between the 2 teams/ sports as per the question put to him.

Most of our atmosphere has been historically generated by younger fans. Hopefully he has already joined the dots regarding the stadium expansion and any improvement in atmosphere.

Yes, definitely a little dig there. Personally I think that’s more down to the cultural differences.

It’s not just afcb but every club, heck almost every sport, there’s just a lot of moaning about everything and anything and with afcb and many clubs in England, the orchestrated razzmatazz that works in USA just isn’t going to work here. Too many people will push back if they think they’re being told how their support should be.
Not having a dig DJ but orchestrated razzmatazz, what is crickets 100 ? Obviously not American but it is highly orchestrated, media driven, music, lights fireworks, not traditional team/fan based. It seems to be working, maybe Bill has watched it and thinks wow, look at all those new fans ................................Just a thought.

Not having a dig DJ but orchestrated razzmatazz, what is crickets 100 ? Obviously not American but it is highly orchestrated, media driven, music, lights fireworks, not traditional team/fan based. It seems to be working, maybe Bill has watched it and thinks wow, look at all those new fans ................................Just a thought.

The cross over is there. Also the “push back” element. Everyone at the hundred loves it, all the cricket traditionalists who aren’t there are the ones moaning.

The cross over is there. Also the “push back” element. Everyone at the hundred loves it, all the cricket traditionalists who aren’t there are the ones moaning.
Very true, I am sure we can see it coming in football as more US influence arrives, football tourism expands and matches instead of a 90 minute affair become an event.
As for cricket (and football) I am a traditionalist as you know but freely acknowledge that things move on. Wonder what the PL will look like in 20 years time ?

Very true, I am sure we can see it coming in football as more US influence arrives, football tourism expands and matches instead of a 90 minute affair become an event.
As for cricket (and football) I am a traditionalist as you know but freely acknowledge that things move on. Wonder what the PL will look like in 20 years time ?

I’m pretty open minded with everything surrounding the game, as long as the game remains pretty much the same. So with football, who knows especially with VAR, extended added time etc. I’m sure time-outs for the benefit of the players well-being will come along… and conveniently that’ll create an ad break for the tv…

With The Hundred they’ve tweaked things, to an already divisive format. I get it in regards to speeding it up, changing ends every 10 balls instead of 6 does add up. But I still struggle to get around “sets” instead of “overs” and a lack of run-rate etc.

As for whether Foley and the American’s if they’ve watched the Hundred… the new DJ booth at Dean Court does look familiar…

I got to meet the man himself at the Womens game in Ringwood yesterday. First impressions - a genuine down to earth guy who made a point of going to the game despite apparently v recently having had a hip replacement and suffering from jet lag. The guy‘s committed for sure. He was accompanied by Neil Blake and Jim F - who were both in good spirits. You can draw as many comparisons as you like with Max and Bill but to me a guy who flys across the Atlantic and is visible, is much better than one who failed to drive down from Surrey or fly over from Switzerland.

I got to meet the man himself at the Womens game in Ringwood yesterday. First impressions - a genuine down to earth guy who made a point of going to the game despite apparently v recently having had a hip replacement and suffering from jet lag. The guy‘s committed for sure. He was accompanied by Neil Blake and Jim F - who were both in good spirits. You can draw as many comparisons as you like with Max and Bill but to me a guy who flys across the Atlantic and is visible, is much better than one who failed to drive down from Surrey or fly over from Switzerland.

Personally that stuff doesn’t have much of an affect on me as a supporter.

It’s great for those involved around the club, the women’s side, the business etc. face to face interaction to build a relationship etc.

As a fan, it’s all about actions not words. Whether that’s interactions in person or social media.

Max kept to himself, took us further than we could have ever dreamed and always (appeared at least) to do right by the club.

Hopefully we can say the same about Foley’s tenure in a decade’s time.

What stood out to me was how frail he looked. Not so frail as to run for President, but I hope the succession plan is in place.
He was asked this by a French journalist and his son is working behind the scenes and is the succession plan.

You are 78 years old. How do you see the sequel?

My son Robert will take over. He is already invested in the Golden Knights, spending
time in Bournemouth and England. He is a very good support and a very intelligent boy.

He was asked this by a French journalist and his son is working behind the scenes and is the succession plan.

You are 78 years old. How do you see the sequel?

My son Robert will take over. He is already invested in the Golden Knights, spending
time in Bournemouth and England. He is a very good support and a very intelligent boy.

Good find. Looks like he's moving up the ranks at the Knights:

I can't see it changing much until we can get the people who want to sing sitting/ standing together. It's a shame as our small stadium has the ability to create a great atmosphere but last couple of seasons it's been a library.
The issue is and has been for a while now... The vocal fans are split at the two opposite ends and in the NS, there is obviously the left side and then two pockets across the back... Safe standing would help generate a better atmosphere but if we really are only 2-3 years from a new ground, that will never happen at DC.

Me personally, I can't stand the way the majority of the NS goes form standing to sitting in a millisecond before the game kicks off... The centre seems to be the worst, and whilst it is each to their own... Trying to get folks to move around to generate a better atmosphere behind the goal would help...

The issue is and has been for a while now... The vocal fans are split at the two opposite ends and in the NS, there is obviously the left side and then two pockets across the back... Safe standing would help generate a better atmosphere but if we really are only 2-3 years from a new ground, that will never happen at DC.

Me personally, I can't stand the way the majority of the NS goes form standing to sitting in a millisecond before the game kicks off... The centre seems to be the worst, and whilst it is each to their own... Trying to get folks to move around to generate a better atmosphere behind the goal would help...
Then again rail seating 'allowing' you to stand would help, along with not being told to sit down by stewards.

;