Billing’s Performance

NWCherries98

Fans' Favourite
Can see that Billing is getting pelters across all forms of social media, on the forum, and as usual, in the ground. I thought he played really well, and was wondering if any of the stats or metrics would support this. So according to Whoscored, Billing:

- Had the highest overall match rating out of any of our players, with 7.64. Including Leicester, he was the 5th best player on the pitch going by this “score”.
- Won the most aerial duels (4), tied with Kerkez.
- Had the 4th highest pass accuracy (82%), which if you remove players that went off or came on earlier and played less minutes, is actually the second highest.
- Made the most tackles with 7.
- 4th most touches (so clearly not hiding, then).

Take or leave the statistics if you want to, but ignoring them doesn’t make them bullshit. It’s just the numbers of what went in in the game; it’s the truth. I don’t know what other sites there are to get some more detailed stats (@Matt Stevenson might know?), but I wouldn’t be surprised if he covered the most ground, too.

There was some bad crosses, a lack of effective shooting, and the press wasn’t quite as effective as it has been without him. He can do a lot better in terms of creating chances and goalscoring opportunities, on this side he was below par tonight. The whole team was pretty abject in this regard.

Having said that, considering it was 3 games without playing, and that he played the full 120 minutes, I thought he put a really good shift in. He’s not the reason we lost, and other than because he has a miserable face and it’s easy to do so, I have no idea why everyone’s focusing on his performance.

All of the usual suspects statistics (hiding, not winning headers, not putting effort in, not putting a tackle in) are objectively untrue. So other than being wasteful, which everyone was, what did he actually do wrong?

He was static at times when others were pressing. It's not a good look.

I couldn't go tonight so watched on the box up close and personal and you're right. For some reason every bodily reaction of his seems to get amplified as well which is unfortunate.

He doesn't seem to fit the AI system and I'm sensing some frustration from the big fella- as in that sending off.

Thought he was good to begin with, but was out on his feet by the end
I posted similar on match day thread in response to people slagging him off.

Me and several people around me must have been watching a different game as we all commented that Billing was our best player in the 1st half. Actually chased players back in midfield several times and won the ball back and was trying to move us forwards.
By end he was leggy, knackered and poor, (from about 60 mins) probably after missing last 3 games, and should have gone off.

Basically playing a false 9 at times tonight. As a result because we kept putting aerial balls into him, and he pulled out of most of them, as we all know he’s prone to doing. He isn’t Solanke, but we play into him as if he is. His first touch was all over the shop too, clearly rusty. And by the end, dead on his feet understandably.

I wonder if it’s nearing time to part ways.

First half I thought he wasn't bad at all.
Second half though he looked absolutely out of it, every time we prepped a sub I assumed they were coming on for Billing, he looked absolutely shattered.

His efforts at pretending to challenge for a couple of headers were quite comical though.

He was static at times when others were pressing. It's not a good look.
I genuinely don’t think it’s a lack of effort per se; I get the vibe that he just doesn’t quite get where he needs to move for the press when it’s started high up the pitch. Either that, or he’s just not bothering to do the triggers and movements. When it’s a simple case of charging a ball down and moving across the pitch in midfield, I think there’s a lot of effort being put in, personally.

His body language has been off this season, but tbf, when’s it been on? I’d be a bit disappointed too if I went from the focal attacking point of the team, to a bench option. His goals and assists have dried up from last season and I’m not convinced he fits the new system, similar to Brooks in a way.

I couldn't go tonight so watched on the box up close and personal and you're right. For some reason every bodily reaction of his seems to get amplified as well which is unfortunate.

He doesn't seem to fit the AI system and I'm sensing some frustration from the big fella- as in that sending off.
Unfortunately a lot of our most creative players don’t fit in the AI system and it’s causing frustration . Tavernier, billing, Scott and brooks all seem to have gone backwards under AI

Also madness to keep him on the pitch having missed 3 weeks of games and he was clearly knackered. Again, not convinced by AI’s subs tonight

Anyway, expect a lot of his critics were the idiots that booed at the end or did f@&k all to get behind the team when they needed a lift in extra time. Crowd went missing more than billing

Don't think Billing was any more lacklustre than the others.

Thing is...we didn't start Solanke or Christie...and we'd sent Brookes and Rothwell up the road...

.. ..I dunno what that says about Ambition ; So I can't say it..but I don't want them to get a result v Liverpool..that'll really seal a sh*t week !

Have to admit I'm no fan of Billing as I've oft said on here but I've seen him play a lot more disinterested than tonight and he wasn't our worst player. I even actually saw him running to chase the ball down on a few occasions tonight. He, for me at least, put in a bit more effort than normal, even his corners were quite good!

Unfortunately a lot of our most creative players don’t fit in the AI system and it’s causing frustration . Tavernier, billing, Scott and brooks all seem to have gone backwards under AI

Also madness to keep him on the pitch having missed 3 weeks of games and he was clearly knackered. Again, not convinced by AI’s subs tonight

Anyway, expect a lot of his critics were the idiots that booed at the end or did f@&k all to get behind the team when they needed a lift in extra time. Crowd went missing more than billing

It's a real conundrum for the manager. There are players with respectable finishing and goalscoring records in the squad but he either doesn't seem to play them or they struggle for goals. Tavernier, Billing and Brooks especially. Sinisterra has a decent goalscoring record and looks the part.

Dango is one of the most erratic footballers I've ever seen so I don't know what I'd classify him as but it certainly wouldn't be finisher.

He did at least have some dangerous shots and some on target, but his positioning and challenging for headers wasn't great.

He has just missed the last 3 games though.

One of our better players overall on the day, as he at least can shoot.

;