Blake and co

Oh Neil... I have huge respect for your opinions on here and on BOTN but please can you stop painting it all in this tabloidesque black and white, right and wrong nonsense. Being painted as a "North Korean collective" or you waiting for the "ultra biased" to get some universal truth that you have 100% certainty on, or indeed Max to get it is incredibly tedious - and could almost portray you as downright bloody arrogant and a raving narcissist.

As has been illustrated today the vast majority of folk on here have a pretty good grasp of things and actually understand that these issues are nuanced, complex, involved and mostly take place away from our eyes and ears.

It would be massively appreciated if you could step away from this Sun headline binary tosh and recognise that most people on here seem to think that Parker's departure is a positive step and are pleased that the club's hierarchy have made it but at the same time can hold the view that that same hierarchy can make questionable decisions as well as wise and well received ones.

I enjoy Neil's posts, and even if I don;t agree usually good value.

But yeah, thought the same about 'The Sun' style sensationalism to prove a point for a while too :D.

Meant to be a reply to SDD (edited)

Was the ‘quick decision’ for JT right to be done after he’d signed three players and not used them or would it have been better to do it when a new guy could have addressed squad issues?

Was it right to think you had Parker twice and make interim appointments when you realised you didn’t rather than move on.

Was there anything that stood out at Fulham that could have been a red flag?

Do you think there were other managers out there that might have took a squad that impressive up more suited to our style and developing youth?

I think you are being incredibly generous to the board in your view. I suppose I would though!

Yes it was right to make a quick decision to sack Tindall. Despite his promising start he'd lost the dressing room and Woodgate completely turned it around, made the playoffs with ease and got within a dodgy pen/Mepham brain fart of the playoff final.

Yes it was right to appoint Parker and it doesn't matter if anyone else could have got them promoted - Parker did his job no matter what happened since.

Depends whether you think that squad was good enough for a lot of managers to take up (with a better way of working in terms of getting the strat plan and more attractive football) or whether it was only Parker that could have done it. I’m in the former camp. I’m guessing you are too as to quote you even a ‘d***head’ got that squad promoted.

No it doesn't depend. You suggested Max will rue appointing Parker because of the compo he's got to pay - I'm suggesting he'd consider income and expenditure.

I don't know why you keep quoting the fact I called him a dickhead. I backed the guy until very recently and they sacked him within days of me losing confidence in the guy. Of course I back the decision.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd describe him as knee-jerk. I expect theres been some degree of tension around the board and Parker for a while with transfers, money available etc and I expect comments Parker made v Bristol City annoyed him further to some degree.... bringing into the public domain Perhaps they met and discussed things further, and insinuated not appropriate, or perhaps not, but Parker couldn;t keep his mouth shut and the weekend was the straw that broke the camels back.

I think he gave him ample enough time to change his attitude, but demonstrated he wasn't able or prepared to do so, so Max took decisive action.

Yeah I suppose maybe not the right word. I suppose I mean he's not scared to sack people quickly after he loses confidence in them irrespective of the timing.

Only have 12 games now till break up for World Cup, that hopefully could be used as a mini pre-season for the new manager to get his ideas over

Yeah I suppose maybe not the right word. I suppose I mean he's not scared to sack people quickly after he loses confidence in them irrespective of the timing.

Yeah and tbf not sure I have a problem with any of the sackings. Sure, they were relatively quick, but I don;t have any argument with any of them; Tindall (out of his depth, not good enough), Woodgate (out of his depth, not good enough, if you can call that a sacking) and now Parker (unprofessional, strange approach to man mgmt perhaps, boring football ethos - although that can be overlooked if getting results).

If anything, I'd question the recruitment process, although I quite liked the Parker appointment. I guess for me, is have the board learnt from this since Howe left...?

Yes it was right to make a quick decision to sack Tindall. Despite his promising start he'd lost the dressing room and Woodgate completely turned it around, made the playoffs with ease and got within a dodgy pen/Mepham brain fart of the playoff final.

Yes it was right to appoint Parker and it doesn't matter if anyone else could have got them promoted - Parker did his job no matter what happened since.

No it doesn't depend. You suggested Max will rue appointing Parker because of the compo he's got to pay - I'm suggesting he'd consider income and expenditure.

I don't know why you keep quoting the fact I called him a dickhead. I backed the guy until very recently and they sacked him within days of me losing confidence in the guy. Of course I back the decision.

Yep, I can recall you being behind him, supportive last season and encouraging people to be similar during that ridiculous booing spell at a crucial time in the season.

But at same time not indicating he was the best thing since sliced bread by any means.

Not sure why Neil is so fixated on that emotion driven explosion after a hugely embarrassing defeat and equally embarrassing, if not more so, post match interview.

The argument is that he failed to avoid Brentford until the final given the poor run of games at the end ie 1 win in last 5 at key end of the season. Should have got to Wembley final and we had a chance of beating Brentford in a one off.

He did well overall I think - wheels were starting to one off albeit return to full fitness of danjuma certainly helped him

He chose to rotate and rest the first team, which ultimately put us against Brentford, but we might have ended up against them anyway and managers do tend to rotate in these situations. Ultimately, it's likely we would have had to play them anyway. I liked Woody and think he was good for the squad. Had a very good relationship with them.

You miss the point on the Tindall sacking. I was glad he went as never wanted him but why give him the window, let him sign three players and then sack him before he could play them? Surely you either give the window to a new guy or you let the guy you’ve got play the missing pieces in his jigsaw. It’s just rank amateur.

He chose to rotate and rest the first team, which ultimately put us against Brentford, but we might have ended up against them anyway and managers do tend to rotate in these situations. Ultimately, it's likely we would have had to play them anyway. I liked Woody and think he was good for the squad. Had a very good relationship with them.

True.

Risk team too tired and so keep them
Fresh for play offs. Could have worked but unfortunately didn’t.

Who would be a football manager? Hindsight is a great thing!

You miss the point on the Tindall sacking. I was glad he went as never wanted him but why give him the window, let him sign three players and then sack him before he could play them? Surely you either give the window to a new guy or you let the guy you’ve got play the missing pieces in his jigsaw. It’s just rank amateur.

I don't personally think it matters so much. As others and yourself have pointed out - the squad was strong. The problem was that the manager had lost the dressing room and so he needed to go. What happened next proved that the transfer window issue wasn't important - squad was clearly strong enough to go up from there under Woodgate and very nearly did.

Did I miss something during my bans. ..what is this North Korean thingy ?
It was a bit of banter by me. There’s a small group of fans on here that support the hierarchy come what may and whatever decision it makes they make allowances and excuses for. I likened them to those North Koreans who clap with frenzy during every military parade. Anyway, it irritated a few people who didn’t realise it was banter and I’ve said I will tone it down, which is fair.

Like you Brian the last thing I want to do is make someone feel uncomfortable.

;