Blue Cards

I suppose in its favour is if the referee is undecided between a red or yellow card, rather than a team losing a player who gets sent off, they go off the pitch for a certain time and then can return.

Alternatively the referee could ask the manager to bring a substitute on in their place.

We get situations where a player gets sent off and it’s disputed.

It goes to appeal and the red card is rescinded.

But the damage has already been done, that club losing a player during the match and possibly losing it because they only had 10 men.

I don’t like the idea of a sin bin, but that could solve the difference if undecided between red or yellow.

Not talking about the Billing one, that was a clear red.

More confusion for Referees who have been made to look cnuts by players behaviours over the past decade..more confusion for fans working out what was technical foul and what was intentional and what was accidental...and how they interpret what and how the Referee interpreted and then how the VAR bods assessed it.
Jesus Christ ..if it ain't bad enough Batman !

Last edited:
Let's see how it transpires. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, given how var has been handled so far.

Can just see it being another 'protocol' that takes us another step or two further away from the game we love(ed).

I'd advocate more for a 'back to basics' approach rather than adding more and more rules ( and seemingly moving further away from common sense with each passing year).

If I understand it correctly, it is going to be used in one of two scenarios:

- dissent
- for cynical, but not dangerous, fouls e.g. tripping someone to prevent a fast breakaway.

The first is the kind of subjective judgement that PGMOL will undoubtedly screw up. The second is potentially a good idea if players stop doing it so much. However the effect of a team being down to 10 men for ten minutes will not do much for the game as a spectacle. That’s because the ten man team will inevitably sit deep, take every opportunity to waste time etc.

So, on reflection, I think it is a bad idea. However this is going to be a trial so let’s hope it is properly evaluated and any decision is based on hard evidence.

Picture this... the year is 2047, the 16th season of the World Super League. Manchester All Stars have just been given a 129th Minute penalty against Barcelona Rockets. Their key penalty taker is off the pitch flagellating himself in front of the bench of PGMOL thrones, having been given a maroon card in the 98th minute for making eye contact with the 6th official. Up steps the young wunderkind to take responsibility. After 10 minutes of re-spotting the ball using VAR, the kick can be taken. He strikes the ball high into the top right corner of the goal. A murmur ripples through the crowd and handshakes between the opposing sides owners and shareholders to signal their approval at the result. A live image is beamed onto large LED screens around the ground and fans go wild as they see Manchester All Stars climb above Apple in the NASDAQ 100. It's been a great day for football...

Picture this... the year is 2047, the 16th season of the World Super League. Manchester All Stars have just been given a 129th Minute penalty against Barcelona Rockets. Their key penalty taker is off the pitch flagellating himself in front of the bench of PGMOL thrones, having been given a maroon card in the 98th minute for making eye contact with the 6th official. Up steps the young wunderkind to take responsibility. After 10 minutes of re-spotting the ball using VAR, the kick can be taken. He strikes the ball high into the top right corner of the goal. A murmur ripples through the crowd and handshakes between the opposing sides owners and shareholders to signal their approval at the result. A live image is beamed onto large LED screens around the ground and fans go wild as they see Manchester All Stars climb above Apple in the NASDAQ 100. It's been a great day for football...
crowd?
fans?

Could a team have more than one player in the sin bin ? If not then is that a green light to commit fouls that would normally get a blue card. I wish they would leave the game as is. In fact go back 20 years and keep those rules

Great idea. Just get rid of VAR first and let Refs make decisions for themselves with the help of the linos.

Introduce it as a trial in matches only involving the big 6 and see how it goes.

we can all debate the rights and wrongs of the refs decisions on a Monday, Forget it on Tuesday and look forward to the next match on Saturday (also reverting matches to "normal" match days only).

You'll have the crowds screaming at the Ref at the end of what 'they' have timed at 10 minutes( assuming that is the proposed figure).

In our recent local non-league game a player was sin- binned 2 minutes before the Ref blew for half-time.
8 minutes into the 2nd half the player was stood on the touchline waiting to come back on..Ref ignored him...possibly had forgot !...the player and the crowd were screaming their frustration plus abuse ...so the Ref seemingly added more time to the sin-bin until 25 minutes into the half when he signalled the return.. ...so 27 mins in total he was off the field.
Similar has been occuring through all non - league from stories as relayed by fans on club Twitter sites.

Last edited:

;