Booing the Substitution

AFCB Lost in Brum

Fans' Favourite
The booing caught me by surprise.

In the MS it was really loud, completely spontaneous and, frankly, heartfelt.

Was the booing as loud and widespread in the other stands?

Either way, it was a clear expression that a lot of fans aren't at all happy with EH's approach to (not) playing Lewis Cook.

Funny enough, I'm a huge L Cook fan, but I did think he looked tired second half and wasn't too upset with him coming off.

However I understand that for many fans there has been a build up of frustration over EH's reticence to use Cook this season.

I was in the Ted Shed. If there was some there I phased it out. I was too busy applauding Lewis who had another decent match. I'm sure Eddie isn't bothered but other fans are. I thought it was disrespectful. However it happened and I'm sure it will all be water under the bridge tomorrow morning. I hope Harry stays but if a massive offer is lodged, where we could strengthen in other areas I'd have to say we have to begrudgingly accept it. Especially if the player is no longer happy here

I was in the Ted Shed. If there was some there I phased it out. I was too busy applauding Lewis who had another decent match. I'm sure Eddie isn't bothered but other fans are. I thought it was disrespectful. However it happened and I'm sure it will all be water under the bridge tomorrow morning. I hope Harry stays but if a massive offer is lodged, where we could strengthen in other areas I'd have to say we have to begrudgingly accept it. Especially if the player is no longer happy here

Ps sorry double post not sure why Vital is doing that this evening. Maybe an issue?

Lewis had given the ball away with sloppy passes 5-6 times the people around me in the Main Stand always shouted 'unlucky'. Had Surman done that they'd be screaming bloody murder. It was the right move.

Although we tried to drown it out with 'number 8', there was lots of booing in NS. Crazy IMO. If nothing else it's definitely disrespectful to Eddie.

Surely it wasn't that surprising to see Cook come off for a rest so that Harry could get some minutes. I worry that it'll be the final straw for Harry (if decisions haven't already been made). No matter the intentions of the boo-boys, Harry won't have taken it well and can't help his current situation/mindset.

Was a strange substitution imo.

Gosling should have come off.

Cook can put a decent ball into the box when required as is evident with two of our three goals against WHU.

He’s also our only real threat going forward centrally as we always seem to spread it wide when attacking.

Despite his endeavour yesterday Goslings shooting accuracy was rubbish.

So as a like for like substitution I would have expected Arter as the ideal swap for a technically similar Gosling.

I’m sure Harry knows the booing is not for his arrival.

Cook was knackered, tires every game about 70 minutes. It was a no brainer of a substitution. I exect Arter to start on Monday. Those who booed are clueless.

Utterly ignorant and stupid.

Lewis Cook is a lovely player but he's not yet the finished article. To boo the latish substitution of a lad who was tiring is crass, particularly when he'll be playing again in less than 48 hours. Wilson's substitution - by a lesser striker for broadly similar reasons - was presumably better understood.

Plus, while we're at it, a special mention for the idiot in the NS whose rant at Simon Francis reached meltdown proportions after Steve Cook's error had in fact led to the Everton equaliser :clown:

In All Departments - 31/12/2017 00:24

Utterly ignorant and stupid.

Lewis Cook is a lovely player but he's not yet the finished article. To boo the latish substitution of a lad who was tiring is crass, particularly when he'll be playing again in less than 48 hours. Wilson's substitution - by a lesser striker for broadly similar reasons - was presumably better understood.

Plus, while we're at it, a special mention for the idiot in the NS whose rant at Simon Francis reached meltdown proportions after Steve Cook's error had in fact led to the Everton equaliser :clown:

Agree re Lewis Cook. Like many, frustrated at lack of game time earlier in the season but today was a sensible decision given the context of the game and another game in less than 48 hours. Shame as thought crowd support was very good especially in second half when team needed a lift. Do think the Lewis Cook song needs a new verse now as he has given the ball away a lot recently!

Odd comment re franno as bbc seemed to blame franno for the goal as twice I was “corrected” tonight when I said cook gave ball away which is what I saw with my own eyes!

I'm in the East Stand and heard it clearly from the North Stand,and it wasn't isolated it was very noticeable.
I think a lot of it was frustration that yet again we had thrown away a lead by gifting the opposition a goal by an error,and here was one of our most positive players being subbed.
I didn't disagree with the substitution but I did think that fresh midfield legs were needed and it was obvious Lewis would come off.
I don't want Harry to leave but plain and simple he has been poor this season and has lost his place,that's football.
I can't remember him having a decent game where he has hit the heights of previous seasons,so he can hardly complain about being sub.

I took it as a sign Eddie sees Cook as his best midfielder now and wanted to keep a bit of juice in him for Brighton... a sensible substitution as he was managing two games...not one today.

dragonm8 - 30/12/2017 23:54

Was a strange substitution imo.

Gosling should have come off.

Cook can put a decent ball into the box when required as is evident with two of our three goals against WHU.

He’s also our only real threat going forward centrally as we always seem to spread it wide when attacking.

Despite his endeavour yesterday Goslings shooting accuracy was rubbish.

So as a like for like substitution I would have expected Arter as the ideal swap for a technically similar Gosling.

I’m sure Harry knows the booing is not for his arrival.

Are you saying that Cook is a better goalscorer than Gosling? What evidence have you based this nugget on?

Jesus Derek.

Everyone is well aware that Gosling has scored a couple recently, and that Cook hasn’t.

But what Cook can do that Gosling can’t is make visionary passes that can put the opposition under pressure.

I’d much rather have Cook on the pitch even if he was a bit leggy than Gosling.

Gosling is dangerous around the 18 yard box and often shoots very well from just outside the area.

You can probably count the number of times he’s played a 30 yard danger ball into the box on one testicle.

Subtle differences, but differences nonetheless.

Surely you can see this?

He was tired and beginning to make mistakes. It's also two games in three days. I just don't see why people couldn't see the situation let alone opt to boo the decision.

It's disrespectful to Harry Arter who is coming on and it shows no respect to Eddie Howe's decisions.

Cook may give the ball away sometimes but it's because he is always trying to be positive and make things happen, with unlocking passes etc. It would be easier for him to do more safe and sideways/backwards passes like Surman and then not get criticised for giving the ball away

Just a sign of frustration at the Lewis Cook situation and would Surman been pulled off in similar circumstances IMV. He may well have been tired and we have another important game coming up but After merely added the headless chicken run around.

AFCB_LOYALIST - 31/12/2017 07:05

Cook may give the ball away sometimes but it's because he is always trying to be positive and make things happen, with unlocking passes etc. It would be easier for him to do more safe and sideways/backwards passes like Surman and then not get criticised for giving the ball away

It's not a criticism that he sometimes gives the ball away, I also like his positivity.

But it is an observation, as is his apparent lack of Premier League season fitness.

He does, as others have highlighted, drifts out of games after 60-70 minutes. He's young, he's developing and he should be afforded the patience to develop.

Even Iniesta gets subbed off sometimes.

;