BORED already!!!

goshbite

First Team
Not bored enough to go and endure Celta v Levante, however. Though going to take myself up to Santiago tomorrow to watch Compostela in their fourth tier (360 odd teams in the Spanish fourth tier) promotion playoff...

Anyone else scraping some kind of barrel to make the season drag on a little longer?

Not bored enough to go and endure Celta v Levante, however. Though going to take myself up to Santiago tomorrow to watch Compostela in their fourth tier (360 odd teams in the Spanish fourth tier) promotion playoff...

Anyone else scraping some kind of barrel to make the season drag on a little longer?

What sort of crowds do they get in the Spanish forth tier?

Yes definitely bored. One eye on later stages of Toulon tournament though if Cook and Ramsdale play.

Watching Celtic’s practice game v Motherwell (a piss poor team!)...why is our own Steve Robinson managing that lot!

What sort of crowds do they get in the Spanish forth tier?

There were about 4,000 fans inside a 14,000 capacity stadium to watch Compostela yesterday. Once in La Liga and conceded a quite spectacular goal by Brazilian Ronaldo in 1996 (on YouTube somewhere). Big club, but the way the league is structured, it's far easier to be relegated than promoted which is why they have plummeted.

What is boring is the Press and Southgatinho only talking about England in the usual vainglorious manner.
No mention of Belgium. Hazard right under our noses just like Houghton for the Irish in the Euro defeat years ago and Sigurdsson for the Ice!
No mention of the little known, mere 'Camel herders' of Tunisia ' or the bunch of 'Tambarito dancers' from Panama.

What is boring is the Press and Southgatinho only talking about England in the usual vainglorious manner.
No mention of Belgium. Hazard right under our noses just like Houghton for the Irish in the Euro defeat years ago and Sigurdsson for the Ice!
No mention of the little known, mere 'Camel herders' of Tunisia ' or the bunch of 'Tambarito dancers' from Panama.

Sorry, don't see much "vainglorious" about what Southgate's been saying:

“I could sit here and say this round or that round — but it doesn’t mean anything, really, because we have to keep improving as a team,” Southgate told ESPN when asked what he would see as a successful World Cup.

“We’re trying to change the style of play — we have our young players developing with better technical ability with the ball. We know these players and we believe that, in the long term, some of them can be world class players."

Or here:

“I believe this is a squad which we can be excited about,” said Southgate. “We have a lot of energy and athleticism in the team, but players that are equally comfortable in possession of the ball and I think people can see the style of play we’ve been looking to develop.
“It is a young group, but with some really important senior players so I feel the balance of the squad is good, both in terms of its experience, its character and also the positional balance.”

I actually think he's been quite measured and balanced, and in fact has tried hard to put a damper on any wild speculation about how far we'll get. Overall, given that he's trying to get some structure into the England team for the first time in ages, change the style of play and finally clear the decks of the last of the "golden generation", I think he's doing OK so far.

...have to agree, not sure Southgate has done much wrong?

The national team job is always a poisoned chalice and in the past our chances have been talked up due to the likes of Rooney, Beckham,Gerrard, Lampard and Terry being at the forefront...now we have some rising stars potentially but no stand outs...if we play as a unit then Gareth may get some success with the likes of Ali,Kane, and Sterling involved...here's hoping anyway!

Ok Southgates doing the right stuff with the team..but is the preparation right with regard to looking at potential banana skin threats of the other teams? We shall see soon. It's one of the areas Germany differ from us!
These type of viewpoints between us are going to increase as the Cup gets nearer and most of the pessimism will come from us old gits.
The younger elements will see mainly positves.
The Press will hype us all up with mainly wrong angles as usual.

Last edited:
Southgate's work really starts after this World Cup. He wasn't supposed to take on this tournament (Sam Allerdyce was). Southgate's job is to oversee the integration of the next generation, the fruits of the recently successful World Cup and Euro youth sides England have had.

The likes of Pickford, Ali, Loftus-Cheek, Rashford, Kane, and Sterling are all <=24 and are sure to be with us in 2020. Dier and Stones we’ll have to see, I cannot make my mind up about them, particularly Stones who scares the hell out of me at times.

Either way we have a real opportunity over the next 4 or so years. Please let’s not throw it away by sticking with the current serviceable but unspectacular late 20s/30 crop of Jordan Henderson, Danny Rose, Gary Cahil, Phil Jones, Fabian Delph, Danny Welbeck etc for too long. Before long in must come some of those lads who stormed the youth scene in 2017. Including Lewis Cook of course.

Last edited:
Southgate's work really starts after this World Cup. He wasn't supposed to take on this tournament (Sam Allerdyce was). Southgate's job is to oversee the integration of the next generation, the fruits of the recently successful World Cup and Euro youth sides England have had.

The likes of Pickford, Ali, Loftus-Cheek, Rashford, Kane, and Sterling are all <=24 and are sure to be with us in 2020. Dier and Stones we’ll have to see, I cannot make my mind up about them, particularly Stones who scares the hell out of me at times.

Either way we have a real opportunity over the next 4 or so years. Please let’s not throw it away by sticking with the current serviceable but unspectacular late 20s/30 crop of Jordan Henderson, Danny Rose, Gary Cahil, Phil Jones, Fabian Delph, Danny Welbeck etc for too long. Before long in must come some of those lads who stormed the youth scene in 2017. Including Lewis Cook of course.
I still can't believe that he has taken Rose, Cahill, Delph & Welbeck apart from the fact that they play for the elite of The PL and others at Southampton, Burnley and Newcastle were ignored..(if I was Bertrand, or Shelvey I would be really p'eed off with GS)

As a Fulham resident i am taking myself off to Wembley on Saturday. Bloody convenient for at least 2 away matches next season should they win on Saturday.....how long until the Premiership returns?

What southgate has to be weary of is saying he will only pick players who are playing and then turn around and pick Rose over Bertrand. Or Lallana on the call up list

Can't believe what I'm reading in some of these posts!
i.e Southgates job doesn't start until AFTER the World Cup .. his job is to seriously attempt to WIN IT this time whether we are any good or not. WE are England FFS the country that brought Football to the world ..Come on!
Same applies to the players. Otherwise what's the point of all the qualification and hype!

Last edited:
What southgate has to be weary of is saying he will only pick players who are playing and then turn around and pick Rose over Bertrand. Or Lallana on the call up list
I think there has been some odd words spoken by Southgate regarding his selection criteria, as you said he stated he was picking players on form...well Rose has only played as a sub in the main and his form can't be judged by that where as Bertrand has been regular for Stains and his form has been decent. The crocked Lallana has also not really played much, yet Shelvey and Cook who have featured for most of the season in decent form for their clubs get overlooked, and Heaton ahead of Hart on the standby list...crazy? Southgate may be justified if England do well but his contradicting himself makes him look a bit flawed?

Only Semi- Final, Runners up or Winning will be deemed successful for any England side whoever the manager is... and is as it should be in any era.

We always go into these tournaments after a hard season and some players playing a lot of games beside the PL ones. Some possibly carrying injuries, but playing to the end of the season.

Not sure how many games the other countries players play, obviously some are from our league.

Be good if for once we could go into the World Cup with a group of players who were refreshed and ready for the tough task ahead.

;