Boruc vs Begovic

Well I'm more than happy that Begovic is currently in the team. It also appears our defenders appear more confident with Asmir behind them. I also like the way he comes out through a crowded penalty area and either collects or punches the ball.

Thank you Boruc for the past 2 seasons, but as an ex semi-pro keeper myself, my vote goes to Begovic.

Thank you Sir for your ex semi pro opinion. Somehow that confidence does not have positive result in the standings. How long ( how many more no win games) would you be willing to wait before you make a change?

Until the defeats/goals conceded can be put down to to the goalkeeping not being good enough, I'm keeping Begovic there. I'm also fairly sure if we had a better quality back up in previous seasons, some of Boruc's mistakes would have caused him to be dropped....Watford at home, Liverpool at home etc.

I agree with tnps view on both keepers.

Although Begovic's clearances are woeful.

People in the main and east stand are in mortal danger much of the time.

We let hime get away with it because we 'like' him.

Had that been Gareth Stewart, little Daryl or even Artur we'd be having a s­hit fit.

badkeeper - 29/8/2017 16:32

Thank you Sir for your ex semi pro opinion. Somehow that confidence does not have positive result in the standings. How long ( how many more no win games) would you be willing to wait before you make a change?

Are you seriously trying to tell us that we lost those games because of Begovic?

We lost the first two because we had no creativity, no forward flair and no service for the strikers. As such, we never looked like scoring, and if we don't do that, we're not likely to win a game.

We lost on Saturday to a hugely expensive team who squeaked past us in the last minute, and neither goal was the keeper's fault.

I like Artur and praised his performance in my Brum match report (in fact, I was accused of overmarking him).

However, looking at a straight comparison between him and Begovic - based on what I saw in his last season at Stoke during a consistent run of games - I would pick Begovic first.

Boruc is still a decent keeper, shot stopper etc, but he doesn't give the back four confidence on crosses like Begovic does, I am afraid Artur is not going to get another crack at being No1 unless Begovic gets injured, or really has a few mares like he did as a youngster for us!

badkeeper - 29/8/2017 16:17

I want to hear from people here , am I the only one who thinks Artur deserves fair chance .

Hi Artur!

It's good to have competition for places and yes, I do think you deserve a fair chance and, like every other player in the squad, I'm sure the chance will come at some stage of the season.

adam0102 - 29/8/2017 16:43

Are you seriously trying to tell us that we lost those games because of Begovic?

We lost the first two because we had no creativity, no forward flair and no service for the strikers. As such, we never looked like scoring, and if we don't do that, we're not likely to win a game.

We lost on Saturday to a hugely expensive team who squeaked past us in the last minute, and neither goal was the keeper's fault.

I like Artur and praised his performance in my Brum match report (in fact, I was accused of overmarking him).

However, looking at a straight comparison between him and Begovic - based on what I saw in his last season at Stoke during a consistent run of games - I would pick Begovic first.

I'm not saying that .
Let me do my best to explain.
Last year you came #10 in the league with horrible , unpredictable, old goaltender.
This season in my opinion you might get relegated to Championship with younger , trusted , better Begovic .

Boruc has been our best keeper... until now. He has had some sublime games (Man Utd away last season), but also his fair share of disasters (even when in the Championship - QPR away). Last season was probably his best for us - he made fewer mistakes and kept us in a number of games. Thanks Artur...

However, the medium term future is Begovic. He's that bit bigger and more commanding... and OK his distribution hasn't been great (but nor was Boruc's).

Badkeeper - your loyalty to Boruc is commendable, but not always all that balanced. I don't think Begovic has had a particularly poor start to this season - the defeats to WBA and Watford were more to do with ineffective play further up the pitch.

I think Begovic will continue to be first choice (apart from cup games) and at the moment I'm perfectly happy with that.

That's nonsense, I don't believe begovic has been responsible for any goals conceded so far.

I don't think Bego has been responsible for any goals either. but I can't help wonder if Artur would have got something on some of them - he did some magic stuff last season.

This Season with Begovic..

WBA away - Conceded 1
Watford home - Conceded 2
Man City home - Conceded 2

Last Season with Boruc

WB away - Conceded 2

So Badkeeper, should Artur have been dropped last year?

Can't drop Begovic now that he's been given the shirt until there is a valid reason to, but Artur should have been given the nod at the beginning of the season.

Personally I think Begovic has an overrated reputation and Artur carries a couple of tags which aren't really justified (last season his distribution was very good and it's been a long time since he made a howler).

I prefer Boruc but both are a lot better than Federici.

Druss_the_Legend - 29/8/2017 18:02

This Season with Begovic..

WBA away - Conceded 1

Last Season with Boruc

WB away - Conceded 2

So Badkeeper, should Artur have been dropped last year?

This reaches hithertoo new heights of f***wittery. Hilarious. Not withstanding all the different players and year the game was played in.

Next week hear Druss talk us through:

'in 2015 we scored at Man city but in 2016 we didnt. I can therefore conclude that glen Murray must be a better striker than Josh King. Look, I has worked it out'

Priceless... :grin:

It says a lot that a keeper that has been so instrumental in our recent success is thought of as crap by so many of our twarts.

I was surprised Boruc didn't start the first game too, but we've certainly never had a better goalie on the bench.

TrevorMorganFanClub - 29/8/2017 19:30

It says a lot that a keeper that has been so instrumental in our recent success is thought of as crap by so many of our twarts.

I was surprised Boruc didn't start the first game too, but we've certainly never had a better goalie on the bench.

Spot on :110:

I don't think anyone could argue that Boruc is the best keeper we've ever had at the club. Some might argue under the term 'greatest' as it might encompass other things but being serious about pure keeping ability there's no one else even close (too early to include Begovic in that comparison).

However, he is coming towards the end of his career at the top level. Whether that's one season or five seasons is actually quite hard to predict as some keepers suddenly have an Indian summer. The likelihood is one or two more years at this level though. I don't think that's being unfair to him.

Given all that, EH saw a keeper still in his prime that knows his way around the PL, was a couple of season's back very, very highly rated who was getting itchy feet after spending two years as an number two and manage to snaffle him.

Whilst, as many have said, it's harsh on Boruc to drop him after his form towards the end of last year, it would also have been a pretty bad situation to make Begovic the number two given why he moved here.

True, if Begovic cocks up he can expect a spell on the sidelines but he wouldn't be able to argue considering that he would have been given his chance. However, to put him at number two from the get-go would have caused some ructions.

I know people think you have to earn your place and that's true mostly but sometimes you also have to look at the bigger picture. If EH rates them on a par then giving Begovic the shirt makes sense long term.

You're right to say Artur is a little hard done by in this. However, you're wrong to rag on about Begovic being very average. Just a quick look at his time at Stoke will tell you that. If he recaptures that form we'll have made a spectacular investment and Boruc may be struggling to hang onto that best ever keeper at AFCB tag.

;