BOTN Tony Pulis

hba1

Fans' Favourite

Another enjoyable Sunday night's viewing with the BOTN team. I nodded and smiled along with Neil. Really enjoyable wander down memory lane and up to date. Thanks again Tony and the BOTN team.

This was great to do. A real in depth look at that 1986/87 promotion team for the first part of the interview... something he doesn’t talk about often I guess. Such a nice bloke before and after the interview as well, love the fact when he watches us he often sits behind the goal with us fans.

This was great to do. A real in depth look at that 1986/87 promotion team for the first part of the interview... something he doesn’t talk about often I guess. Such a nice bloke before and after the interview as well, love the fact when he watches us he often sits behind the goal with us fans.
Thanks for that Neil.....Just finished watching it really and really enjoyed it ........especially the bit at the end regarding the Sheffield Utd game he went too where he said that he was really disappointed with the crowd and that we should have been just pleased to be in the PL :grinning:.............Fair play Neil you were very professional.....

Thanks for that Neil.....Just finished watching it really and really enjoyed it ........especially the bit at the end regarding the Sheffield Utd game he went too where he said that he was really disappointed with the crowd and that we should have been just pleased to be in the PL :grinning:.............Fair play Neil you were very professional.....
Cheers! It’s been an honour for me to ask questions of people who have been a massive part of my favourite sport and de facto my life. Much obliged to @SamDavis

Did it look ok in black and white ;):grinning:

This was excellent, as all of these things have been. Great credit to all involved!

It was great that you asked him about criticism from fans as I would imagine that must be one of the most frustrating things for people in his position, especially when they are given a clear goal of survival with limited resources and all sorts of other things going on behind the scenes that the average fan won't know about.

He must think that 99% of fans are clueless and their insatiable demands for certain styles of football, star signings, league finishes, etc. are wholly unrealistic. At the same time he's switched on enough to know that ultimately these expectations and the passions that football stirs up in the fans are what pay his wages.

I always wondered if sometimes people like Tony start to get sick of hearing the opinions of clueless fans and media and question whether it's all worth it.

Spoke to Tony during late 2019 after a Boro game. Could tell how fond he was of afcb - called it a “proper football club”.

shame he faced so many financial problems as afcb manager as had basis of a decent team with joe Parkinson, wood, Efan, cotterill, strong defence etc

What's the issue? Compared to the professionals in the game we're all clueless and have unrealistic expectations. Not a particularly controversial comment.

I find myself agreeing with a lot of what he said.

Thought it was a little harsh that he slagged off the attitude of fans at Sheffield United. It was a hangover to a bad end to the previous season with the best squad in our history against the overwhelming favourites to go straight back down.

Yeah, there were (and still are) those who are unappreciative and ungrateful for Eddie's achievements but that's not typical of our club. Every defeat or underperformance came with a number of posts about how we're punching above our weight.

It’s been great this last year to watch the various interviews with players and ‘ arry talking about 86/87 as that is when I started going regularly- great to hear the fond memories and views .

A really good chat with Tony , top stuff .

This was excellent, as all of these things have been. Great credit to all involved!

It was great that you asked him about criticism from fans as I would imagine that must be one of the most frustrating things for people in his position, especially when they are given a clear goal of survival with limited resources and all sorts of other things going on behind the scenes that the average fan won't know about.

He must think that 99% of fans are clueless and their insatiable demands for certain styles of football, star signings, league finishes, etc. are wholly unrealistic. At the same time he's switched on enough to know that ultimately these expectations and the passions that football stirs up in the fans are what pay his wages.

I always wondered if sometimes people like Tony start to get sick of hearing the opinions of clueless fans and media and question whether it's all worth it.

It was a really good chat - he mentions plenty of things behind the scenes at clubs over the years that he can’t mention - reckon there’s some real juicy stories there !

;