Brad Smith

In the 80's I'd agree with you but I think there's been a much bigger shift in the last 10 to 20 years with the population and the 5 years in the PL.

Fair enough, I don't see town week to week, I get a couple of long weekends a year. Whilst I see 1000000% increase in merch wearing amongst the kids, football and the scores still aren't the number one topic of conversation in every pub over the weekend. But it is one of the topics of conversation these days, and you're actually likely to bump into someone who won't immediately steer the footy chat towards ArsePool United

Leeds or Bradford City maybe but nobody in the Huddersfield area is going to support South Yorkshire clubs. Transport links are shite for a start. Yeah there will be a few plastic Mancs but you're suggesting Reading are bigger and they are 20 mins from London with all the competing clubs there.

I think Reading are about the same size as Huddersfield, there's no doubt that building the Mad Stad and their long stint in the PL and a bigger growing population made them a bigger club. They're not too far from London but neither are Brighton. There's a few examples there of this clubs potential when comparing ourselves to them and a PL stint and a new stadium can change a club drastically, I've given up on the new Stadium for now but buying DC and expanding it needs to be in near future.

I’m not working hard to defend it! It’s what I believe. In March 2014 while late in season going for the championship title we had 9700 odd in for a home game with Wolves. Many, many empty seats in our temporary stand. It’s not just that game either that didn’t sell out but it was the most surprising one given its position in the run in.

Put together a list of sides that wouldn’t sell 10,000 home tickets (if they had that stadium size) while going for the championship title playing the greatest football seen in a century.

If you think Plymouth and Bristol Rovers would be on that list you have become too detached from our roots! Plymouth regularly get more than that while pushing for the league two title. Crewe and Rotherham, I agree with you:
I think at that time 3 or 4 thousand floating supporters had given up trying to get tickets. We could have reeled them in.

Best of luck to him. Woefully short of Prem standard, probably even out of his depth in the championship, but that wasn’t his fault

When Eddie took us over we had a three sided ground with 3000 fans in it. That’s smaller than Exeter and Rochdale. We were not the Huddersfield or Swansea that some journalists think we are. I stand by that.

I think we need a big personality and change of direction and I like Ainsworth. That’s a personal opinion.

Id forgot, speaking live, that Curbishley had a stint at the happy hammers. My point though was more he never came back and achived what he had done at Charlton before standing down and has had long periods on the sofa

I still can’t past the wish for ainsworth to be our manager!

There is no way to measure how big a club is. But it’s always interesting to discuss. Could be attendances, although that is temporary and fluctuates in many cases. Some teams retain a large core of fans when relegated, others don’t.

Maybe the bigness of a club is related to how many years spent in top two divisions? Bournemouth is not a traditional football town. Those that support through thick and thin are passionate, maybe deluded, but for many years that core of supporters has been low relative to population.

For all the talk of difficulty getting tickets, and the club didn’t make it easy, but there were plenty of games in the championship winning season that we didn’t sell out. As Neil said it was the best football we have ever seen, possibly the best ever in that division.

In terms of history we’re a solid division 3 club. It’s going to be a while before we have any idea what the future will look like. If we stayed in the championship for a few seasons I reckon we’d average a solid 8,500 home fans. In the division below maybe 6,500? All speculation innit.

;