Brents Goulet - Eddie Howe an alternative view

Grumpy G

Fans' Favourite
Quick my man time for one of these please, silence the doubters. :hihi:

Mind you such strange things have been happening in the World lately, he'll probably write that we should sack him and bring back Pulis. :eyes:

There's no way Pulis would come back to us even though he lives down here.

Most of squad isn't industrial enough, too small, too lily livered.

He'd have to ditch the lot apart from Harry and Tyrone.

We need to look closer to home.

I say Groves or Bradders, they could take the existing 25 and make something of them.

I always worry about no alternative view from Brent.....it gives hope.

Please tell us you haven't given up hope and taken the 22/1 odds Brent....

Grumpy G, I am genuinely flattered that you miss me, and yearn for my alternative views

I could literally write pages on this subject, but who has thew time?!

So I will keep this simple

Eddie has a lot of work to do. There are clear issues in the team, and they will take hard work, great coaching and excellent man-management to overcome

Fortunately, Eddie is a very hard worker, an excellent coach, and a first class man-manager so I think we will be fine. Every season has it's bumpy moments, but I think it will turn out more than ok

I also think he is the best man for the job; and I think our short-comings off the pitch are more than masked by his management of matters on it. That will be highlighted when he moves on and someone else (more normal) replaces him

But not everyone will agree. This is just my opinion. And given that he has taken us from League 2 to the Premier League, it would appear that history is on my side, even if Grumpy G isn't....

I'd agree with almost all of that apart from Eddie being a first class man manager. Without doubt I think he has the potential to be but, if reports are true regarding a number of fall outs with players that he's brought in, then I question his 'man' management capabilities currently. I appreciate that he's still learning of course.

afcb_rednblack - 1/2/2017 19:26

I'd agree with almost all of that apart from Eddie being a first class man manager. Without doubt I think he has the potential to be but, if reports are true regarding a number of fall outs with players that he's brought in, then I question his 'man' management capabilities currently. I appreciate that he's still learning of course.

I wonder who might have lined up our new signings. Could be the ones he's alleged to have fallen out with are not his picks.

paul49 - 1/2/2017 19:46

I wonder who might have lined up our new signings. Could be the ones he's alleged to have fallen out with are not his picks.

Who's that then (allegedly).

This is comical.

That's a very good point Paul and certainly possible I guess. Even so a good man manager should be able to manage such a situation even if they've not totally bought in otherwise it could prove to be very expensive in more ways than one.

RobTrent - 1/2/2017 19:52

Stop it red_house!

Whooaa, hold your horse there Tonto :)

Last night Neil stuck up a list of players that EH had allegedly fallen out with...it must be right because Neil posted it...then someone mentioned Arter as well ffs

Now Eddie has fallen out with someone else ?

Is this not the sort of nonsense that undermines a manager / club simply because a few results dont go to plan.. Can we deal in evidence per chance ?

afcb_rednblack - 1/2/2017 19:26

With regards to fall outs I just think despite the pleasantries for the media Howe is pretty ruthless.

I think he expects, no demands 100% at all times and if you aren't professional you'll fall out with him and then you are gone.

With hungry players looking to prove themselves this can bring success, but it feels like we are in a transitional phase and success has attracted players that have the talent but seem to lack that desire.

This for me explains why recent signings are not working out and Howe is sticking with the players that have brought success.

Totally agree r_h. You've also got rumours of financial woes which died down only to resurface after yesterday.

'It must be right because Neil posted it'

Of course I just make this stuff up Red House. Tomlin, Murray, Iturbe, Wilson, Mousset....plenty of evidence they all got on like a house on fire with Eddie...all those appearances, goals and heartfelt love for each other when they leave...

Neil Dawson - 1/2/2017 20:53

'It must be right because Neil posted it'

Of course I just make this stuff up Red House. Tomlin, Murray, Iturbe, Wilson, Mousset....plenty of evidence they all got on like a house on fire with Eddie...all those appearances, goals and heartfelt love for each other when they leave...

Tomlin aside (totally justified )complete and utter conjecture...No one deserves to walk into a team and having seen Mousset, Wilson of late and Iturbe previously none of them justified a place. Murray always put in a shift but was never going to be a regular starter.

Have you ever managed people ? Its a two way thing, Eddie is the gaffer but they all had their chance.

Personal reasons are personal for a reason, and having mentioned speculation about EH before and getting castigated I'm wary of posting here, but it has been documented that each of the players mentioned above had at various times been distracted by non work matters

Tomlin - basically an idiot who spouted his mouth off online and obviously got stung by it, clearly not the complete fault of the club as the same thing has just happened at Brizzle and lightning doesn't strike twice

Mousset - reportedly regularly late for training, only a couple of weeks back went back to France on a matchday weekend, then filmed himself speeding down the M27 late (around 2330) on the Monday night, presumably to get back in time for Tuedsday morning training

Wilson - lovely bloke, met him a couple of times when he first moved down, young family, setting up a home, see him as being here long term. But for some reason a few of months ago his wife went back to the midlands, she appears to be back now and all appears well, but that could distract anyone

Iturbe - Another who was reportedly late for training regularly, and when he did play he didn't really impress, no great shakes, we gave him a chance, obviously England isn't right for him, this happens. Materrazzi hardly pulled up trees when at Everton, still managed to win a world cup

A thought.

This is out of a squad of 25 plus Tomlin.

If this is reflected in real life then there's one hell of a lot of you not pulling your weight at work for various reasons.

One of them being that you're always on Vitals when you're supposed to be working. :grin:

Are you reading this Corfe Red?
Almost certainly.
Hang on an hour before replying and you can claim to be on lunch break.

Remember we are debating whether Eddie was a first-class man-manager, my claim earlier

Do you judge man-management by how many players have fallen foul of what he expects?

Or do you judge man-management by how he has got an extra something out of the players he has

Man-management was how he managed to turn a team heading out of League 2 into the same team who stayed up, and then got promoted to league 1

Man-management is getting what he got from Brett Pitman, where others failed. It's the impact and improvement of players who have stayed with us on the journey; this isn't jut about coaching, but man-management too. It's getting the best out of Harry After, it's looking after injured players and making time for them, it's being honest and straight with players and giving them feedback on what was good and what was bad, it's letting people know where they stand

There will always be players who drop below the standards set, or don't work out; arguably too many for too much money recently, that's impossible to argue with. But I don't think you can suggest he isn't a first-class man manager as it's at the heart of the success he has had

Ken Baileys Ghost - 2/2/2017 12:01

A thought.

This is out of a squad of 25 plus Tomlin.

If this is reflected in real life then there's one hell of a lot of you not pulling your weight at work for various reasons.

One of them being that you're always on Vitals when you're supposed to be working. :grin:

Are you reading this Corfe Red?
Almost certainly.
Hang on an hour before replying and you can claim to be on lunch break.

I am here, KBG......lunch breaks whats that ?....grazing whilst trying to do some work........but if it was only AFCB Vital.....what about...

The Big Board
Down at the Mac
Hornet Nest
The Town End ( just for laugh )
Pompey Forum ( just for a bigger laugh :hihi: )
Etc.......

Too much footy.....so little time.....

BTW you got 20/1 ??? I'm on at 25/1 :grin:

Brents Goulet - 2/2/2017 12:26

Remember we are debating whether Eddie was a first-class man-manager, my claim earlier

Do you judge man-management by how many players have fallen foul of what he expects?

Or do you judge man-management by how he has got an extra something out of the players he has

Man-management was how he managed to turn a team heading out of League 2 into the same team who stayed up, and then got promoted to league 1

Man-management is getting what he got from Brett Pitman, where others failed. It's the impact and improvement of players who have stayed with us on the journey; this isn't jut about coaching, but man-management too. It's getting the best out of Harry After, it's looking after injured players and making time for them, it's being honest and straight with players and giving them feedback on what was good and what was bad, it's letting people know where they stand

There will always be players who drop below the standards set, or don't work out; arguably too many for too much money recently, that's impossible to argue with. But I don't think you can suggest he isn't a first-class man manager as it's at the heart of the success he has had

A good manager removes non performers quickly - won't always be able to resolve the problem with an individual. Eddie stresses the group ethic and if individuals won't adapt then hard to change them in the timescales. Does raise the doubt whether Eddie's style would work with the prima donnas of the bigger prem clubs. I think a smaller squad will suit Eddie better too so he can focus on his main players.

;