Brighton's Defensive Set Up

The Alchemist

UTC Legend
Is it just me or is thins something we should be looking to do for much of the time - certainly in away games ?

Keep the shape and look to attack on the counter would seem to suit us and our forward players down to the ground.

You'd be watching on it on your own then......i've been trying to think of a more negative performance from a team at our place and nothing comes close imo....absolutely putrid.

First half they were very defensive but they opened up a little second half when they tprealised how bad we were.

They looked like a championship team "giving 110%", as soon as they opened up a bit their lack of real quality was obvious; apart from Gross maybe. We're still playing far below our previous standards and we still beat them. They're just another Middlesbrough and they'll be gone just as quickly. :wave:

NSC are convinced Dunk is on the verge of an England call up,is good enough for this League and then some,and it will be his last season at Brighton and a top club will soon be in for him.

Thought the defensive line up vs Man City gave us more protection but enabled the full backs to push up so is a good formation but it failed at arsenal. If it just means staying back hoping to survive then I don't feel we can do it that well. More important for me is to show the fight and hard work we showed in the 0-0 draw with spurs at home last season rather than the away game when we were so poor.

The Alchemist - 16/9/2017 12:58

Is it just me or is thins something we should be looking to do for much of the time - certainly in away games ?

Keep the shape and look to attack on the counter would seem to suit us and our forward players down to the ground.

From reading what their fans said, it's essentially what they did in all their away games last season. Sit back, hold shape, soak up pressure and hit the opponent on the counter. In which case they'll be extremely well drilled in it and still working on it a lot.

The problem with that set-up is it relies on everyone doing their job correctly every single time since, as soon as somebody wanders into the wrong area you'll be punished. You're sitting deep and the opponent has all their attacking players running around looking for that gap.

It can obviously be very effective but I think you have to be working on it a lot for it to work. I'm not sure we'd give over the amount of training ground time it would require to make it a success. Unless we plan to use it in 50%+ of away games in which case... maybe but it would be pretty depressing to watch.

kirsikka - 17/9/2017 15:35

The Alchemist - 16/9/2017 12:58

From reading what their fans said, it's essentially what they did in all their away games last season. Sit back, hold shape, soak up pressure and hit the opponent on the counter. In which case they'll be extremely well drilled in it and still working on it a lot.

The problem with that set-up is it relies on everyone doing their job correctly every single time since, as soon as somebody wanders into the wrong area you'll be punished. You're sitting deep and the opponent has all their attacking players running around looking for that gap.

It can obviously be very effective but I think you have to be working on it a lot for it to work. I'm not sure we'd give over the amount of training ground time it would require to make it a success. Unless we plan to use it in 50%+ of away games in which case... maybe but it would be pretty depressing to watch.

pretty much what Middlesboro did last season and we know what happened to them.

...we couldn't set up like that as our game relies on moving the ball side to side and then to the wings which requires the full backs to make themselves available in forward positions, and Charlie and Adam are more adept at attacking than defending tightly!

AFCBade - 17/9/2017 14:28

Thought the defensive line up vs Man City gave us more protection but enabled the full backs to push up so is a good formation but it failed at arsenal. If it just means staying back hoping to survive then I don't feel we can do it that well. More important for me is to show the fight and hard work we showed in the 0-0 draw with spurs at home last season rather than the away game when we were so poor.

I speak from a position of ignorance as I didn't attend either match but I thought that we played 343 at the Emirates rather than the 352 - with the extra midfielder Surman - against Man city. Didn't Eddie say that he may have made a mistake in going for the more attacking option against Arsenal?

cutlers_post - 18/9/2017 09:51

AFCBade - 17/9/2017 14:28

I speak from a position of ignorance as I didn't attend either match but I thought that we played 343 at the Emirates rather than the 352 - with the extra midfielder Surman - against Man city. Didn't Eddie say that he may have made a mistake in going for the more attacking option against Arsenal?

Correct Cutler's Post. Playing with just the 2 at the Emirates left us completely overrun in midfield. That said we were so far off our game that day, I don't think it really would have made the difference.

;