Callum Wilson

CherryBare

UTC Legend
Hmm all these rumours, I would normally say it's all paper talk, but having not featured in last 2 games is very strange!
He was stripped off ready to come on against Chelsea, but then afobe came on.
Think big mistake to sell him in Jan

I wouldn't even be happy with £20m which people seem to be happy to take here. Next year he will be dynamite again having got over his injury.

If there is one area that Eddie doesn't perform brilliantly in its got to be the transfer market . I would be gutted if Cal is let go , 20 m would be peanuts.

Before Wilson goes anywhere he has to get his form and goalscoring boots back on. I sincerely hope he gets back on form and stays but at the moment I think he is our 3rd option after King and Afobe.
it takes a long while to get over that serious injury.

Callum Wilson needs to improve big time. He's scored 2 goals from open play in 19 games and he's started the majority of games this season and who knows if he's going to come back to his best form? I think on present form anywhere between £10 and £15 million the club would take.

Remember - this is not just about what Eddie wants - I think he would always want to keep Callum..

However, Eddie has always been correct in not wanting to keep players that don't want to stay. Wilson has the same agent as Ritchie and the two players are very close, hence the constant Newcastle speculation. He might find doubling his wages, firing a team to promotion in an easier league to get his confidence back, in front of 55,000 adoring fans an attractive proposition. If that noise has started to happen then Eddie would not keep building a team around him.

That's just speculation though - but anyone would have to be able to see the possibility of that. Of course it could well be that he is just being rested after some indifferent games and remains fully committed to the cause. I think if he starts against Arsenal then I would be more inclined to believe the second. It would mean he is still the first choice striker, just rested for the easier Christmas fixture. If he doesn't start I would start believing he might be off.

If Wilson is still on the bench for tomorrow night, I think it will indicate that Eddie is preparing to let him go

Neil Dawson - 2/1/2017 14:35

Remember - this is not just about what Eddie wants - I think he would always want to keep Callum..

However, Eddie has always been correct in not wanting to keep players that don't want to stay. Wilson has the same agent as Ritchie and the two players are very close, hence the constant Newcastle speculation. He might find doubling his wages, firing a team to promotion in an easier league to get his confidence back, in front of 55,000 adoring fans an attractive proposition. If that noise has started to happen then Eddie would not keep building a team around him.

That's just speculation though - but anyone would have to be able to see the possibility of that. Of course it could well be that he is just being rested after some indifferent games and remains fully committed to the cause. I think if he starts against Arsenal then I would be more inclined to believe the second. It would mean he is still the first choice striker, just rested for the easier Christmas fixture. If he doesn't start I would start believing he might be off.

Agree Neil. With Eddie talking openly about rotation and his main striker fully rested it would make sense for Callum to get the nod tomorrow. Benik has done really well but must be "less fresh"...

Interesting call.

King to start tomorrow for me as he's a better outlet when we're on the back foot. Afobe to start v Millwall and Hull, hopefully scoring a few in the process. Let's get his confidence pumping. Wilson will be perfectly good off the bench in all 3 games to inject his energy.

That's how I'd play it anyway.

ajp28 - 2/1/2017 17:27

If Wilson is still on the bench for tomorrow night, I think it will indicate that Eddie is preparing to let him go

Eddie is very unlikely to change the team tomorrow, Cal will start against Milwall. Wouldn't read anything into it if Cal isn't in the first 11 , if he is not on the bench that is a different matter.

rednblackforever - 2/1/2017 17:34

ajp28 - 2/1/2017 17:27

Eddie is very unlikely to change the team tomorrow, Cal will start against Milwall. Wouldn't read anything into it if Cal isn't in the first 11 , if he is not on the bench that is a different matter.

First of all EH has to change the team as Wilshere is not available. Also if you look at what EH said after the Scummers game he clearly felt he made a mistake by not rotating the team after the midweek Leicester win, scummers made changes and it showed. I expect some changes and luckily we seem to have an almost fully fit squad to choose from.

rednblackforever - 2/1/2017 12:52

If there is one area that Eddie doesn't perform brilliantly in its got to be the transfer market . I would be gutted if Cal is let go , 20 m would be peanuts.

Before his injury, you may well have been correct about the valuation as he was on his way to being a superstar.

However, I'd snap their hands off for 20 million now as I'm not sure Wilson will ever be quite the same player again as he was pre-injury. Jury is perhaps still out on that but signs are not good so far.

Tough call for Eddie if it comes to it but I think he signed Mousset in the summer to be his eventual replacement anyhow. That's not to say that we wouldn't get a replacement in now as Lys is not ready yet imo.

How much would it cost to replace him ?

However with Afobe improving dramatically and King capable of anything I think Eddie can afford to let him go if the price is right.

It wouldn't exactly be a disaster if he went, not ideal but not a disaster. As with everything we can only speculate.

For me, King was forced to play down the middle when Callum got injured and did well, then we buy Afobe who is clearly happier in that position. Now we have three players for the same role with none able to really perform another role. Position overload i believe!

The reason he is not playing is that he has not recaptured his complete game as yet and has strong competition. If he is tempted by signing on fees he may decide to try his luck elsewhere - but all of this is pure speculation at the moment.

I don't really want us to sell him but if we get a silly offer of £20m+ then I would accept as I want to see us bid for Wilshere & Ake permanently.

Just watched highlights. He was pointing at the badge after he scored. Would be surprised and disappointed if he left. Callum put in a strong performance today. People forget he's still only 24. He's only had one season in the Championship and a handful of games in the Prem before this season AND he's still coming back from a terrible injury. He still has huge potential at this level, just needs more game time. His fellow lower league peers in the squad have had the benefit of almost an entire season of PL football over him. Troy Deeney, who some of you rave about from time to time has had much more experience at Championship level and above than Callum. Sell him to Newcastle. The state of you.

I like how he wrestled Junior for the ball before taking the pen. He was going to take it and no-one else. And he trusted himself to score. Not the sign of a man about to leave IMO. I thought he had a good match, excellent ball for Fraser that led to the pen.

;